Sign in to follow this  
Hawkstrike

This game needs more humor

Keen-eyed Tooks and Brok Ironfists aside, it takes itself far too seriously most of the time.

I think we need a Long-Awaited Party quest, where you try to save spoons while hiding yourself from Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.

Edited by Hawkstrike

First of all: I only read passages of the books and watched all the movies.

At least in The Hobbit there is humor. Very old humor that is nowadays outdated, thus not funy anymore. Remember the paragraphs bilbo has to sign? As I remember it, it was intendet to be part social criticism and part funny. Same with the handkerchief while riding the horses.

At least in The Hobbit there is humor. Very old humor that is nowadays outdated, thus not funy anymore. Remember the paragraphs bilbo has to sign? As I remember it, it was intendet to be part social criticism and part funny. Same with the handkerchief while riding the horses.

The body humour and way action scenes are shot in the Hobbit is just awful.... Most of the dwarves are reduced to absolute morons in the first two movies and it is painful to see them bumble through Goblin Town as seemingly invincible juggernauts. Every time it looks like any single one of them is about to fall to their death in a deep crevasse something ridiculous happens that puts them back on course. I find it extremely painful watching some of these scenes.

The body humour and way action scenes are shot in the Hobbit is just awful.... Most of the dwarves are reduced to absolute morons in the first two movies and it is painful to see them bumble through Goblin Town as seemingly invincible juggernauts. Every time it looks like any single one of them is about to fall to their death in a deep crevasse something ridiculous happens that puts them back on course. I find it extremely painful watching some of these scenes.

Keep in mind that the story is from Bilbo's perspective, and those sequences (Goblin town escape, barrels etc.) occur when he isn't around.

I sort of get what you are saying (Bilbo wasn't present so who knows what really happened or the specifics) but that doesn't excuse making the Dwarves seemingly unstoppable and constant and unrealistic luck befalling them at every turn during these scenes. Just because Bilbo isn't present for those scenes doesn't mean they should be nonsensical.

Edited by PsychoRocka

The body humour and way action scenes are shot in the Hobbit is just awful..... ... I find it extremely painful watching some of these scenes.

That is what I thought, too.

There's not a lot of humor in the source material either!  Occasional sarcastic quips from the hobbits, that's about it.

There was plenty of humor in the books!  From the dwarves heading to retake the lonely mountain without thinking to even bring any weapons (remember the fight against the trolls), to Bilbo's notes when he's giving away gifts at his party, to the big deal made of unfurling Aragorn's banner at the Stone of Erech, only to reveal that it was too dark for anyone to actually see it (apart from the Dead, probably).  Tolkien's humor may not have been terribly slapstick, and it probably doesn't appeal to everyone, but it was definitely present.

I do think it would be fun if there were one or two print-on-demand quests which were of a lighter tone like that.  I actually really do like the idea of having to protect your spoons from Lobelia!

I dunno, I think Murder at the Prancing Pony shows that the game doesn't take itself TOO seriously.

Also I find a lot of the art humorous, in the best possible ways:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hallofbeorn-resources/Images/Cards/Heirs-of-Numenor/Local-Trouble.jpg

Other cards will pull some humorous quotes for the flavor text:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hallofbeorn-resources/Images/Cards/Escape-from-Mount-Gram/Cruel-Torturer.jpg

Keen-eyed Tooks and Brok Ironfists aside, it takes itself far too seriously most of the time.

I think we need a Long-Awaited Party quest, where you try to save spoons while hiding yourself from Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.

What? You dont't find it funny when one encounter card makes you lose your game??  ^_^

Its pretty hilarious when you reveal Sudden Darkness during Wastes of Eriador but it is already Night so you laugh and take the four threat instead.... and then threat out a few turns later...

My most hilarious moment was when we had to scoop during setup because we had to add like 8 wargs.

What? You dont't find it funny when one encounter card makes you lose your game??  ^_^

Well now that you mention it, no, no I don't.  Ever.  I rather find that it's indicative of ridiculously poor design.  Thanks for the tip.

Edited by xodarap

Well now that you mention it, no, no I don't.  Ever.  I rather find that it's indicative of ridiculously poor design.  Thanks for the tip.

Thank you for making a valuable contribution to the thread and not being negative.