nikk whyte

The case against General Hux.

So every seems to be pretty excited about General Hux, and on first glance, he seems pretty powerful. I'm here to tell you why he's not very good.

First and foremost, 5 points to equip.

That's a hefty fee, and it precludes his use on the Tie Shuttle. The next cheapest crew carrier is the omicron pilot. However, it only has the 2 crew slots, so you're automatically locking out palpatine. Next up is the phantom, which wants to avoid stress like the plague, so that's a no. Then the firespray, widely considered overcosted and inefficient in the first place. That leaves the decimator, a ship utterly ruined since the large base MOV change, and now we're looking at using half your list just to give this guy a ride.

Next, and this is honestly the kicker, he requires you to naturally roll a focus result to use half his ability. I remember when this board CRUCIFIED a certain droid prior to release for daring to ask that we roll a natural focus to be turned into a benefit. Now it's 3 points more and it's good? Not to mention the focus token passing, which in the best case is barely better than fleet officer, and worst case only works on one ship.

I really don't see what the deal is here. His cost and usage requirements seem to automatically have him sitting the sidelines on release. I don't understand where the love is come by from.

You make some good points.  Five points is a lot.  Fleet officer doesn't see a lot of play and Hux is two points more for maybe one more focus and the condition card.  So how good is that condition card?  I don't think we can answer that definitively yet.

One major flaw in your argument is that R3 requires you to cancel your eyeball result.  As in you limit your offense to get a (PS dependent) defensive bonus.

Fanatical Devotion requires you to spend a focus to increase your attack.  This is something you want to do anyway.  The unblockable damage is just gravy.

You make some good points. Five points is a lot. Fleet officer doesn't see a lot of play and Hux is two points more for maybe one more focus and the condition card. So how good is that condition card? I don't think we can answer that definitively yet.

One major flaw in your argument is that R3 requires you to cancel your eyeball result. As in you limit your offense to get a (PS dependent) defensive bonus.

Fanatical Devotion requires you to spend a focus to increase your attack. This is something you want to do anyway. The unblockable damage is just gravy.

Sure, at the DEFINITE cost of your defense. Have fun on those unmodified green dice. Can't use the condition if you die before you get to attack, but tell me again about how R3 is pilot skill dependent. Edited by nikk whyte

You make some good points.  Five points is a lot.  Fleet officer doesn't see a lot of play and Hux is two points more for maybe one more focus and the condition card.  So how good is that condition card?  I don't think we can answer that definitively yet.

One major flaw in your argument is that R3 requires you to cancel your eyeball result.  As in you limit your offense to get a (PS dependent) defensive bonus.

Fanatical Devotion requires you to spend a focus to increase your attack.  This is something you want to do anyway.  The unblockable damage is just gravy.

Sure, at the DEFINITE cost of your defense. Have fun on those unmodified green dice.

You can still take and use evade tokens...

There are several cards and abilities now that do not care one bit about your evade token.

Not to mention that the last imperial ship to come with an evade action on the card was the FO. do you want your 4 health backed up by a single evade? I doubt it.

Edited by nikk whyte

are we seriously even daring to compare Hux to r3 astro?

it really pains me how little people understand about just how **** awful that droid is, and the random nonsense bull of the focus result is just one part of it

so here's a better way to do it

Hux's condition (JUST the condition, ignoring the 3 foci he hands out) needs you to roll a focus on your attack

IT does not force you to

1. cancel that focus result
  2. use your primary weapon in order to obtain that result
  3. shoot at a higher pilot skill than the opponent in order to get ANY ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER

which isn't to say Hux will be the bee's knees, but to even think for an instant that he is anything even remotely related to the festering **** stain of an upgrade card is perhaps the greatest X-wing sin one can commit

Hux's problems are he's expensive and clunky, so you're going to basically have to build a list around him

which is basically the same way people describe Tie/Ds, so hint hint and all that

Edited by ficklegreendice

You make some good points. Five points is a lot. Fleet officer doesn't see a lot of play and Hux is two points more for maybe one more focus and the condition card. So how good is that condition card? I don't think we can answer that definitively yet.

One major flaw in your argument is that R3 requires you to cancel your eyeball result. As in you limit your offense to get a (PS dependent) defensive bonus.

Fanatical Devotion requires you to spend a focus to increase your attack. This is something you want to do anyway. The unblockable damage is just gravy.

Sure, at the DEFINITE cost of your defense. Have fun on those unmodified green dice. Can't use the condition if you die before you get to attack, but tell me again about how R3 is pilot skill dependent.

R3 is PS dependent because if you use him on say a PS4 pilot and no one shoots after you an evade token does nothing. I like Hux but I also see your point about the ships that can carry him and taking him meaning no palp.

it really pains me how little people understand about just how **** awful that droid is, and the random nonsense bull of the focus result is just one part of it

Hux's condition (JUST the condition, ignoring the 3 foci he hands out) needs you to roll a focus on your attack

IT does not force you to

• cancel that focus result
  • use your primary weapon in order to obtain that result
  • shoot at a higher pilot skill than the opponent in order to get ANY ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER

which isn't to say Hux will be the bee's knees, but to even think for an instant that he is anything even remotely related to the festering **** stain of an upgrade card is perhaps the greatest X-wing sin one can commit

Hux's problems are he's expensive and clunky, so you're going to basically have to build a list around him

which is basically the same way people describe Tie/Ds, so hint hint and all that

I'll say again: if our die before you fire (which is likely if you wanna squeeze in enough ships to actually get to hand out 3 focus) the ability is incredibly PS dependent.

Dishing out Hux's condition will take some more thought and planning, both in list building and in the middle of a game. So far, most of the ships you want to put him in are already low agility and you can still give that condition to the ship he's riding in. In terms of other ships besides his ride getting the condition, that will depend on if they're getting shot at all or if you're shooting first and the extra punch of damage is worth it at that time. 

IT does not force you to

• cancel that focus result
  • use your primary weapon in order to obtain that result
  • shoot at a higher pilot skill than the opponent in order to get ANY ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER

I'll say again: if our die before you fire (which is likely if you wanna squeeze in enough ships to actually get to hand out 3 focus) the ability is incredibly PS dependent.

it really isn't

you can fit a lambda and two defenders in a list

if your defender is getting focused down in a single round, you done ****** up

That's a hefty fee, and it precludes his use on the Tie Shuttle. The next cheapest crew carrier is the omicron pilot. However, it only has the 2 crew slots, so you're automatically locking out palpatine. Next up is the phantom, which wants to avoid stress like the plague, so that's a no. Then the firespray, widely considered overcosted and inefficient in the first place. That leaves the decimator, a ship utterly ruined since the large base MOV change, and now we're looking at using half your list just to give this guy a ride.

Just a thought ... you could put him on an Upsilon ...

R3: can't modify a single attack die "ITS THE WORST CARD"

Hux: can't modify EVERY defense die "this card is good"

again, missing the point like a champ

r3:

1. have to roll random focus [same as hux]

2. can't use random focus [hux allows this on the attack]

3. can not have rolled random focus off of 2ndary weapons (such as TLTs, which are more likely to roll random focus) [hux doesn't discriminate]

4. get an evade token, which is absolutely worthless if you've already been shot at [hux pushes damage through, which is always worthwhile]

meanwhile, what does Hux do? He only gets through all dice related defenses, including palp who is only one of the most popular and powerful upgrades in the game <_<

not to mention, with Hux, you get to choose who gets the condition

if things look dire for your other ships, you can assign it to the shuttle he's on

"oh no, my 1 agility cannot spend focus, what ever shall I do!?!?!??!"

Edited by ficklegreendice

Ya, I agree with the OP. I'm not sold on Hux. The guaranteed damage is RNG based and costly. So many other ways to push damage onto Sontir if you're really that scared of him. 

On 3 dice, your chance to roll at least 1 focus is 58%.

On 4 dice, you chance to roll at least 1 focus is 69%

The odds are in Hux favor.

Also, it gives out 3 focus for 1 action! And it free up your other ship action to reposition or to TL.

Any card that lets an Academy pilot hit a turtled up Soontir Fel at Range 3 behind an asteroid is pretty good in my book.

Too bad you can't mod your evades, and pop before firing.

Forcing Soontir Fel to attack a Academy Pilot with focus+evade tokens at Range 3 behind an asteroid instead of a more juicy target is pretty good in my book.

Edited by Wildhorn

Sure, at the DEFINITE cost of your defense. Have fun on those unmodified green dice. Can't use the condition if you die before you get to attack, but tell me again about how R3 is pilot skill dependent.

Why is OP so salty? This is literally the most vitriol-filled thread I've read in awhile (starting with post three!!), and it's 100% coming from the OP, with no one actually playing the antagonizer this time...

I'd participate in this discussion, as there are points to make, but I have zero interest in discussing X-Wing with someone who's this angry that an astromech isn't more popular... 

OP, it's just a game.

All I know is I have already decided that General Hux has a permanent spot on my non-evading Decimator who is going to finally actually do some damage with that 3 die primary that never seems to get past the defenses of the /x7's and Palp protected Aces. A couple free focus candy for the little guys buzzing around it.

...and as far as it costing half my list? I was going to do that anyways.

All I know is I have already decided that General Hux has a permanent spot on my non-evading Decimator who is going to finally actually do some damage with that 3 die primary that never seems to get past the defenses of the /x7's and Palp protected Aces. A couple free focus candy for the little guys buzzing around it.

...and as far as it costing half my list? I was going to do that anyways.

IF the RNG works for you. It may not.