Sign in to follow this  
syrilian

2nd Edition?

My FLGS doesnt carry the game anymore, and the reason given was that they are waiting on the second edition to come out. Are there plans for a 2nd edition?

Not that we know of. I imagine it will happen eventually, but hopefully not for a few more years.

Who told your FLGS there even was going to be a second edition? I'm no business man, but I don't see how waiting for a possible second edition

when the game is alive and well right now is a good decision.

They don't even sell the game anymore. They claim that it doesn't sell very well and that they are waiting for the 2nd edition to come out. Maybe he wasnt saying that a second edition was coming out but that he would try again when a second edition came out. I dont know.

Second edition announcement: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-the-mythos/

The game is dying...

Didn't you hear that the Arkham Horror LCG is already dead?  They've barely sold any core sets and there are no expansions yet.  The meta is non-existent.

That's probably why this FLGS thinks there is a 2nd edition for LotR.  Arkham killed LotR 1st edition.  LotR 2nd edition killed Arkham.  I should probably check with my FLGS to see if they've heard anything about Arkham 2nd edition yet.

Who told your FLGS there even was going to be a second edition? I'm no business man, but I don't see how waiting for a possible second edition

They don't even sell the game anymore. They claim that it doesn't sell very well and that they are waiting for the 2nd edition to come out. Maybe he wasnt saying that a second edition was coming out but that he would try again when a second edition came out. I dont know.

Mine doesn't sell it anymore either and I can't go to another store, I support this one because they hold open game nights and are great.  I was told it's just not selling but he referred me to Cool stuff (meaning he can't even order it, which is weird....) and they still have a lot of it.  I MAY be picking up the later stuff because everything I've heard about the game in it's early stages = boring.

Second edition announcement: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-the-mythos/

The game is dying...

I don't think it's dying but two of the lead designers, now working on the Arkham Horror game said that they built it based on what they learned from their mistakes and by that they meant the old LCGs and showed a prominently large LOTR box....I'm looking into it as a solo game as I can't make it to my FLGS open game nights and it's really not looking that compelling.  Maybe Rundbound 3rd ed?

You need a new LGS to become your favorite.

Then so do I.  Ooops.  It's the only one in town.  Maybe there's an actual reason it isn't selling.  It's good to see posts that give me actual information.  Like the one you're mocking that told me my FLGS isn't alone in investing in games that don't move.

Mine doesn't sell it anymore either and I can't go to another store, I support this one because they hold open game nights and are great.  I was told it's just not selling but he referred me to Cool stuff (meaning he can't even order it, which is weird....) and they still have a lot of it.  I MAY be picking up the later stuff because everything I've heard about the game in it's early stages = boring.

The early cycles are amazing. There aren't that many big communities for this game, more so a million tiny pockets of solo players or small groups of friends that play. Stores that exist in areas where not many people play the game might not stock or support the game but that is by no means an indication of how the game is doing overall or worldwide and is more just indicative of your local community and the fact that almost no one in it plays this game.

The game is dying...

I don't think it's dying but two of the lead designers, now working on the Arkham Horror game said that they built it based on what they learned from their mistakes and by that they meant the old LCGs and showed a prominently large LOTR box....I'm looking into it as a solo game as I can't make it to my FLGS open game nights and it's really not looking that compelling.  Maybe Rundbound 3rd ed?

Yeah he was joking..... LOTR LCG is not dying in any way shape or form. It is a commonly repeated joke by many at this point because of how many uninformed people constantly claim that the game is dying. We get a new one almost every month or so!

FFG are ALWAYS going to say that though, it is a new product that they are trying to sell and make a profit on. Of course they are going to say they learned from mistakes they made in other games, of course they are going to say they are most excited about their new game etc. Does this make all of that true? To an extent probably yes but that doesn't mean that the LOTR LCG sucks or is inferior to this new Arkham game. Also its not like they aren't going to make a single mistake with this new game either (to err is human).

I will slowly (very slowly) buy the game until I have a full play set for 4 players (12 core sets?), another good thing is that I can replace my older encounter cards (shadows of mirkwood, dwarrowdelf) with the new ones that have the difficulty indicator.

I will slowly (very slowly) buy the game until I have a full play set for 4 players (12 core sets?), another good thing is that I can replace my older encounter cards (shadows of mirkwood, dwarrowdelf) with the new ones that have the difficulty indicator.

I hope you're joking.

I don't know what your situation is exactly...  but they should be able to still order them for you.

The game shops around here usually have 1 starter box of lotr and MAYBE 1 or 2 other card packs...  I think the card packs are only there because someone ordered them and didn't pick them up.  Sometimes I find the most recent delux expansion, but not typically...

That all said - the game stores I talk to say it sells well - meaning any time a new expansion comes out all the usual people order it, and that's it.  Most people play the game at home solo or in small groups.  It's not like Magic where they keep boxes of the stuff on hand for any random person to walk in and buy, or where big game nights are run for tons of people to come and play with each other...  but that doesn't mean it isn't selling well.

Mostly though - I don't see any reason your game shop couldn't order in anything.  That's what my game shop does.  They can make a lot of money with just 2 players buying through the game / quests together...  This game doesn't need big crowds, it just needs someone who is into it.

The game is dying...

Yeah he was joking..... LOTR LCG is not dying in any way shape or form. It is a commonly repeated joke by many at this point because of how many uninformed people constantly claim that the game is dying. We get a new one almost every month or so!

FFG are ALWAYS going to say that though, it is a new product that they are trying to sell and make a profit on. Of course they are going to say they learned from mistakes they made in other games, of course they are going to say they are most excited about their new game etc. Does this make all of that true? To an extent probably yes but that doesn't mean that the LOTR LCG sucks or is inferior to this new Arkham game. Also its not like they aren't going to make a single mistake with this new game either (to err is human).

True, and I've taken into account my FLGS and it's tendency to go for the "hotness".  It's just one factor which is why I'm doing my research because LoTR now would represent no small investment.  I wasn't trying to imply that the game was dead, just really hard to get in a town with only one FLGS.  Although that struck me as weird since we're a college town and there are a lot of people at open game nights.

I don't know what your situation is exactly...  but they should be able to still order them for you.

The game shops around here usually have 1 starter box of lotr and MAYBE 1 or 2 other card packs...  I think the card packs are only there because someone ordered them and didn't pick them up.  Sometimes I find the most recent delux expansion, but not typically...

That all said - the game stores I talk to say it sells well - meaning any time a new expansion comes out all the usual people order it, and that's it.  Most people play the game at home solo or in small groups.  It's not like Magic where they keep boxes of the stuff on hand for any random person to walk in and buy, or where big game nights are run for tons of people to come and play with each other...  but that doesn't mean it isn't selling well.

Mostly though - I don't see any reason your game shop couldn't order in anything.  That's what my game shop does.  They can make a lot of money with just 2 players buying through the game / quests together...  This game doesn't need big crowds, it just needs someone who is into it.

That's what I found so weird, what you say makes sense - It's mostly ordered by people who already play it and the stores go for the usual "cult of the new" but they should at least be able to order it, I'll talk to the owner and leave OUT that part that I was directed to CoolStuff by an employee....maybe they really just didn't check the distributers?  CoolStuff still has like half of it though so that's something at least.

Edited by xodarap

They could sell a 60 cards pack (like nightmare decks) with some errated cards from the Core Set.

Do you know if the errata and changes since the original print have made it into the newer printings or if they have re-done the rules?  That would more effective and less expensive than a second edition I think.

They could sell a 60 cards pack (like nightmare decks) with some errated cards from the Core Set.

Do you know if the errata and changes since the original print have made it into the newer printings or if they have re-done the rules?  That would more effective and less expensive than a second edition I think.

I think the majority of core set errata are now in reprints, although some of the newest errata probably won't be (but the basic ones to fix misworded cards are there).

I think the majority of core set errata are now in reprints, although some of the newest errata probably won't be (but the basic ones to fix misworded cards are there).

I bought a core set a year ago and my cards have the errata and easy/normal mode indicator in them already. So I confirm this.

Errata that were made after I bought (as far as I know only 1 card) are obviously not included.