Sign in to follow this  
Chillmire

The Ideal Quickdraw

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've last posted. Hope you're all doing well!

Recently I've been playing out a bit of Quickdraw and trying to make the most of her. I've played about four games with her so far and as of yet she's been performing very admirably. I'm not sure if I'm doing it well/properly or if I'm just lucky, though I know some of the opponents I've taken it against are at the top of their game. Here's the score;

"Quickdraw" - TIE/sf Fighter
Push the Limit
Spec Ops Training
Electronic Baffle
Shield Upgrade

Carnor Jax - TIE Interceptor
Push the Limit
Royal Guard TIE
Stealth Device
Autothrusters

Omega Leader - TIE/fo Fighter
Juke
Comm Relay

Total: 97

So far I've been playing her much in the way of an arc dodger, and it's a fairly self-destructive list. Carnor gets in to prevent any focus or evade rolls being made, and Quickdraw pulls some crazy maneuver that puts her where she wants to be and pushes for a double tap with Electronic Baffle. So far it's turned out pretty good and in my area it seems to be one of the rarer occasions she's made the stage and surprised a fair number of people, so it may just be a case of people not knowing how to deal with her.

What do you think? What would be the idea list to run her next to, or your thoughts on an ideal build for her? Thanks!

I got decimated by a super swarm with her in it with dash/lothal. I completely forgot all his synergies, and lothal died in 1 round.

"Youngster" (15)

Rage (1)

"Wampa" (14)

"Quickdraw" (29)

Swarm Tactics (2)

Electronic Baffle (1)

Special Ops Training (0)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Wired (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Though I do like your list above as well, although quick draw may be too expensive, but if it works, then no argument

She's rather expensive for a ship that needs to kill itself to work, but so far I've managed to avoid getting shot at almost entirely to get the most out of her ability. Again, might just be luck and people not knowing her dial. A much cheaper build I had for her was;

Quickdraw - TIE/sf Fighter

Rage

Electronic Baffle

Spec Ops Training

Twin Ion Engines mk.II

I was thinking about a glass canons list: 

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Gunner (5)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Special Ops Training (0)

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 98

Got initiative bid and a healthy punch in the first engagement. You are able to shoot before the enemy ace used his actions and soon after that the Phantom and another shot from QD follows. And there is a (almost) cheap blocker that has boost action and nice dial. Though, that will be useless list as soon as Rey hits the table (PS 10+ plus tons of health kills this list instantly...). Anyway, throwing 10-13 dice (or even more if getting shots from both arcs) at an enemy that has not been able to do anything yet looks awesome.

Though I do like your list above as well, although quick draw may be too expensive, but if it works, then no argument

She's rather expensive for a ship that needs to kill itself to work, but so far I've managed to avoid getting shot at almost entirely to get the most out of her ability. Again, might just be luck and people not knowing her dial. A much cheaper build I had for her was;

Rage

Electronic Baffle

Spec Ops Training

Twin Ion Engines mk.II

The thing is, she doesn't need to kill herself to work.  My preferred build is:

Quickdraw 29, PTL 3, Electronic Baffles 1, TIE Mk2 Engines 1 (if points allow) = 34

This is a dangerous build all by itself.  She's a PS9 ship with repositioning options that can deliver a heavy attack out out of the front or split fire with front/rear arcs.  She has a great dial with all 1, 2, and 3 speed standard moves, plus S-loops.  She can be focused down easily, but she's got the dial and abilities to make her intended position non-obvious in a lot of situations.  On top of all that, she gets extra shots if damaged, or can self-damage to make an extra shot at will in the activation phase.  That's a tool, not her only trick.  

Rage

Electronic Baffle

Spec Ops Training

Twin Ion Engines mk.II

Quickdraw 29, PTL 3, Electronic Baffles 1, TIE Mk2 Engines 1 (if points allow) = 34

This is a dangerous build all by itself.  She's a PS9 ship with repositioning options that can deliver a heavy attack out out of the front or split fire with front/rear arcs.  She has a great dial with all 1, 2, and 3 speed standard moves, plus S-loops.  She can be focused down easily, but she's got the dial and abilities to make her intended position non-obvious in a lot of situations.  On top of all that, she gets extra shots if damaged, or can self-damage to make an extra shot at will in the activation phase.  That's a tool, not her only trick.  

She does seem to fit your style of ship preference - ships who have high PS pilots, with infrequent/non-standard Pilot Abilities...

Rage

Electronic Baffle

Spec Ops Training

Twin Ion Engines mk.II

First off quickdraws dial is crap, lets get that off my chest. Adding a few more red moves to a tie bomber, or defender dial (and thats all that has happened) doe snot make the dial great in no way shape or form, also you traded your K turn for those sloops its a sideways trade. The dial is total crap.

Secondly, Rage.... gotta have rage to really make her ability shine, with ptl you might only have modification for 1 shot, and if you are able to get off the glorious front + back shot twice in a round then you will be a very sad camper you did not have rage.

The crappy dial is compensated for by having that rear arc, but and i quote from above "She has a great dial" is so far from correct that it hurts me even to quote it.

The huge setback to rage is that second stress, since you are baffling anyways you can do a green move next turn and be clear to rage again, and with the rear arc you are usually not screwed for having no hard greens. I cant see myself ever giving up the modification that rage provides, if i am going to hurt myself and be a big giant pile of points i want to guarantee get the most out of the ship before it does in a ball of fire. And that means having modifications for all my shots while i can still do them. PTL does not guarantee my dice mods and it makes it even more expensive a ship that gets focused fired to hell.

The base SF dial is okay, not great.  The dial in the build I suggested is quite good, though.  Nine greens, and Baffles there to help mitigate the inconvenience of the reds when it's important.  It has all 1, 2, and 3 speed moves when needed, and that's huge.

I've played probably 15 or so games with various Quickdraw builds, and while most are good in their own way, I ended up shying away from the Rage build, because it didn't let you reposition and it left you stressed even after you Baffled for a damage.  That's not to say it's a bad build, I just preferred PTL.  While a Focus + TL is not as good as Rage on the double-attack turns, it's still good, and a ship with PS9, PTL, and Barrel Roll is just a solid performer in most circumstances.  She's a flanker, no doubt, and the rest of the squad has to be able to take advantage of the opposing squad making Quickdraw the main target, but that should be true for most well built squads out there, anyway.  

I've had a few opportunities for the forward+backward shot, and yes, Rage is awesome there, but I usually find I like getting full damage out of the front arc most of the time, and PTL works well in that situation.  

Rage

Electronic Baffle

Spec Ops Training

Twin Ion Engines mk.II

She does seem to fit your style of ship preference - ships who have high PS pilots, with infrequent/non-standard Pilot Abilities...

Quickdraw's ability is infrequent, but it's reliable.  You're going to get it, you're just not using it all the time.  

She's rather expensive for a ship that needs to kill itself to work, but so far I've managed to avoid getting shot at almost entirely to get the most out of her ability. Again, might just be luck and people not knowing her dial. A much cheaper build I had for her was;Quickdraw - TIE/sf Fighter

Rage

Electronic Baffle

Spec Ops Training

Twin Ion Engines mk.II

That build there (with and without TIE MK2) is the most common. Rage gives you dice mods for the whole round, which PtL may not. However, PtL does help with repositioning, because you can also barrel roll. Rage is also cheaper, which is nice, because Quickdraw's job is to die. Either one is good, and i think i prefer Rage, because I don't need to barrel roll too much, because I just drive up to the person and rage. Either you have higher pilot skill and don't rage, and br to get out of arc, or you can just drive up to an ace (like Soontir) and vlast him with a modded attack, before he has any tokens. That's if you're moving first. If he's moving first, then Soontir isn't going to arc-dodge him very easily.

Just my 2 cents and i could be wrong. Try all the builds yourself, and pick the one you like best.

Happy hunting.

Edited by Darth Tam

I've flown Quickdraw a few times, and I found a different way to make her effective:

'Quickdraw' (TIE/SF)

-'Special Ops Training'

-Adaptability

-Accuracy Corrector

-Sensor Cluster

-Twin Ion Engine MkII

35pts

It has no way to self-damage, which is a drawback against aces, but this setup makes for a surprisingly reliable (Accuracy Corrector makes even the rear-arc shots hurt), mobile (MkII Engine feels like a must for the SF, giving it a huge range of green moves) and survivable (With Accuracy Corrector, Focus tokens can freely be spent on defence with Sensor Cluster) ship. Pricier than the more common variants, and probably not as effective overall, but treating her like a PS10 mini-Dengar, with fewer restrictions on the return shot, has worked out quite well for me. I've even had Quickdraw be my last surviving ship in a game, against all precedent...

BacK to the subject though, Quick draw is awesome. I stupidly barfed damage all over a Chewy and then played cat and mouse with norra and chewy while backdraft unloaded on the 1 agility + critical on hull.

I tried back draft with the accuracy corrector option because the back arc is going to always have 3 possible points of damage. He gets sensor cluster and PTL for reposition and defense.

Accuracy corrector doesn't work with Backdrafts ability unfortunately. You cancel all Dice, add 2 hits and can't add any more.

I'm on record above as not liking Rage Quickdraw all that much because it's too focused on a few turns, preferring PTL for more general use while retaining the option to self-damage at will.  I have been playing around with Rage a little more though, and I think I have a very good build for it.

Quickdraw 29

Rage 1

Electronic Baffles 1

Pattern Analyzer 2

TIE Mk2 1 (optional)

With Pattern Analyzers, you're now not forced to either cripple yourself with 2 stress early on or take a self damage to keep stress manageable (a problem in situations where Quickdraw is the obvious target and is not likely to kill the main threat before it fires).  PA lets you take a green move on the approach to the first turn of firing, delay the "check stress" step, and effectively generate a single stress from the first Rage turn.  This ends up having big effects, because it opens up a couple more options.

Condition 1:  You're at close range and can probably wreck something before it fires and/or you'll want to turn around next turn.

-Under this condition, you burn a shield to trigger her ability and drop stress, getting the activation phase shot and high PS shot both modified.  You are now stress free and have all options open to you.  

Condition 2:  You're likely to get shot and aren't likely to kill something before it shoots at you.

-Under this condition, you simply have a single stress leftover, modified attacks, and a threat of a modified attack when you lose a shield from an enemy attack.  The next turn you can perform a green move to clear stress, Rage again, use Baffles to clear the stress and still have only one stress left. 

Long story short, it allows you to use Rage more freely because you can manage the extra stress more effectively.  It's extra points, but Pattern Analyzer is very good on TIE/sfs already.  

I have been running QuickDraw with expertise, lightweight frame, spec ops, FCS, and sensor cluster. He runs with Yorr to take the stress away and a second ace (Vader,soontir,turr) though I debated between FCS/sensor jammer and sensor cluster/pattern analyzer for a long time. What are your thoughts?

11 hours ago, flyersfors21 said:

I have been running QuickDraw with expertise, lightweight frame, spec ops, FCS, and sensor cluster. He runs with Yorr to take the stress away and a second ace (Vader,soontir,turr) though I debated between FCS/sensor jammer and sensor cluster/pattern analyzer for a long time. What are your thoughts?

Funny. I just built a list and had QuickDraw built almost exactly like this. Except, I had Shield Upgrade instead of lightweight frame (only have one Striker and I have my lightweight frame on it). I didn't have sensor cluster, thinking about it, that makes total sense. With Expertise and FCS the only action worth taking is barrel roll unless you a reason to spend a focus token. So I made room for sensor cluster on mine.

I recently ran Quickdraw at a tournament and it went well.

"Quickdraw" (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 36

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I personally think Baffle is a trap and while it can be a deterrent, QD with FCS is as well.

Moving last and shooting first is really effective on QD. Pattern Analyzer gives the SF (in my opinion) one of the best dials in the game. Sloop + Barrel Roll against your run of the mill k-turn is amazing.

I ran QD with a RAC Palp/Kylo and it was great Palping crits early in the combat.

When QD is sticking to a damaged target your opponent is apprehensive to even fire.