Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhanoid

Gunslinger Shenanigans

So, we're starting up a new campaign after our previous crew scored a serious haul, and I'm looking to make a Gunslinger. Now, my initial understanding of the two weapon fighting is: pick one weapon as your primary and one as your secondary, roll using the worst skill/stat combination between the two with an upgraded difficulty, then you may use advantage to hit with the second weapon and activate abilities of either. So, if one were to take the Nova Viper as his/her primary and an "Imperial Blaster" (the autofire one) as the secondary and shoot at Short range with Agility and R-Light at 4 each, the pool would be: 2 boost dice, 4 proficiency dice, and 2 difficulty dice. Is my math correct, or are there other modifiers?

basically.  However, you can only activate traits that do not depend on hits, off the primary weapon (whichever you choose).  So you either, if you want to activate autofire, you need to declare that as your primary.

For my own part, I really dislike having weapons that are not identical in situations like these.

Yes, if you know the rules really well, you can make that work to your advantage. But it’s so much simpler and easier if both the primary and secondary weapons are identical.

IMO, having the primary and secondary weapons identical is also more iconic and better fits the narrative of most of the kinds of stories we’ve seen about gunslinger types.

I speak with some experience on this topic, because I am currently running a gunslinger in a PbP game, and did quite well in his first time shooting things. In one action, he was able to make use of virtually all of his talents — Rapid Reaction, Quickdraw and Quickdraw (Improved), Quickstrike, and Call ‘Em.

With a matched pair of Blaster Carbines in pistol mode, he was able to effectively take down a large crocodile with 5 Soak and 16 WT, with one hit from each weapon, plus the two Triumphs that were rolled. Not quite as big or nasty as a Rancor or a Bearsloth, but not that far from it.

If he can ever manage to pick up some ranks of True Aim, he’s going to be a pretty deadly fighter. And then he will be able to actually live up to the image that inspired me to make this character:

gungan-gunslinger.jpg

To use autofire you want have to swap the secondary to primary and then further upgrade the difficulty again to get autofire. (Losing the many of nova advantages in the process)

Edited by syrath

With a matched pair of Blaster Carbines in pistol mode, he was able to effectively take down a large crocodile with 5 Soak and 16 WT, with one hit from each weapon, plus the two Triumphs that were rolled. Not quite as big or nasty as a Rancor or a Bearsloth, but not that far from it.

Check with your GM before trying the Carbine as Pistol move, as not everyone will allow it without something additional (like the pistol conversion attachment in DC).

It just comes down to if the GM thinks you can shoot it one handed in a pinch, or you can use it as a pistol. It's a potentially muddy point since Star Wars isn't really consistent especially when dealing with smaller weapons like the ubiquitous E-11, which is not only shown being fired like a pistol, but also inexplicably takes on the sound of a .44 magnum as well....

The dual wield option specifically calls out that you have to use a ranged light weapon it cannot be used with ranged (heavy) so dual wielding carbines would have to be a house rule (unless of course you use the affore mentioned attachement to allow it to be used d as a ranged (light) weapon.

In some of the late Legends fiction (Fate of the Jedi series), Luke and a lot of the other Jedi fight with a lightsaber in one hand and a pistol in the other. This seems a bit anachronistic - if it's possible to apply that word to Star Wars - but an effective way to fight. Combining a Ranged (light) weapon with a Melee or thrown weapon would certainly be a unique "calling card" for a notoriety-hungry Smuggler.

Edited by SFC Snuffy

The issue is fighting with two different weapon categories is super disadvantageous in this system, so not a lot of people bother with it as it's a whole lot of exp to spend for fairly minimal gain.

My PC could probably pull it off; about 1000 exp, modded dueling pistol, lightsaber shito with Ataru style with two ranks in each means he could it with 2/4 yellow and 4/2 green with some boost, but even hitting minon groups is 4 purple so it doesn't seem super appealing at the best of times. Probably is quite true to the source material in that we see characters generally being moderately equipped, often sporting nothing more then a blaster and a cheesy grin. Yeah, I can't recall a time over three years where I ever thought wielding two weapon types together was ever a good idea.

There is a difference between wielding 2 different weapon types and actually using them.  Especially, if you do not have quickdraw talent.  I see plenty of times a PC has a pistol and sword, but they actually only use either the pistol or the sword at any given time.  It just saves them from having to continuously draw and holster a weapon. 

I'm surprised no one mentioned the requirement for four advantage to active both effects. Sure you could reduce that with the Paired Weapons attachment and a Bantha's Eye laser sight. But you're still looking at a more difficult check for the Autofire and enough advantage for the chance to do it.

I don't think anyone is overlooking that, what the OP is suggesting is making the autofire weapon the 'non primary' weapon and thereby trying to avoid applying the additional Difficulty die to the pool for the auto fire effect, not side step the needed Advantages.

There is a difference between wielding 2 different weapon types and actually using them.  Especially, if you do not have quickdraw talent.  I see plenty of times a PC has a pistol and sword, but they actually only use either the pistol or the sword at any given time.  It just saves them from having to continuously draw and holster a weapon. 

i get it, but I still feel it's rather excessive to upgrade the difficulity twice and use the worst in both skills and stats.

There is no upgrade, as you are not attempting to use both weapons AT THE SAME TIME, you are only useing 1 weapon a round, presumably the one which is of most immediate utility.

So if you have a vibroknife and a Blaster Pistol equipped, AND YOU ARE ONLY USING the blaster pistol, you would just roll range light,  If the next round, someone engages you and you want to stab them, you would just roll Melee to hit  them.

In either case no difficulty increase is needed.

It should also be pointed out that if you did want to use the blaster AND the knife in the same attack, you would be rolling a base 2 difficulty dice in any case (1 for the blaster + 1 for using it at an engaged target vs. difficulty 2 for base for melee) + 1 for 2 weapon fighting.