Sign in to follow this  
TGO

Storage solutions

My collection is quickly out growing the space I use to store it. I don't want to invest in battle foam but I need something to store my ships in. I am look for some tackle box containers for the small ships. What works for X wing? I need to be able to store the ships, bases and dials. 

****'s Sporting Goods has it all. I love shopping at ****'s Sporting Goods! ****'s Sporting Goods was started by **** Stack in 1948; ****'s Sporting Goods now has locations in every state except Alaska, Hawaii, and Montana, so it should be pretty easy to find a ****'s Sporting Goods near you.

Edit: Actually, I just looked on ****'s Sporting Goods' website. They don't have my preferred Plano box, which is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-LockJaw-Organizer-5231-01/dp/B0063KDWV0

41ks3AVGHhL.jpg

Dammit, ****'s!

Edited by stonestokes

Yup,
use these boxes as we all do. This is my collection, keep in mind that you should keep the large ship plastic wrapping because most of them (besides the Aggressor) won't fit.
 (How do you upload photos to FFG?)

YariSamurai

Plano trays are by far the most cost-effective storage method I have seen. I have ten - two for my son's collection, two each for Rebels, Empire and S&V, one for templates and tokens, and one with the Rebel Transport and the epic ship stuff. I also have one deeper tray with most of the large ships that don't fit in the others (or that I moved out to make more room). I keep them in a $40 rolling duffel bag that my wife sewed some Star Wars patches on.

I also have a binder with card sleeve pages for the pilot cards and an Ultimate Guard binder for the upgrade cards.

All in all its a fairly organized way to keep it all, and it travels fairly well. I have yet to have any ships damaged in transit in the Plano trays. About the only thing to watch is not letting anything get caught in the lid when it closes. Other than that I have no complaints whatsoever after three and a half years.

I use 3 of the Plano 5321; 1 for each faction. Tokens, templates and mission pieces in the top, ship tiles, bases, and dials in the bottom. I have a couple of 30 day pill containers that are just perfect for the number tombstones. An Ultra-Pro 9 pocket sideloader for Pilot cards and a couple of the Ultimate Guard mini-american sideloaders for the upgrade cards. The ships themselves I keep in the original plastic, but I cut off 2 opposite sides and the bottom as close as I can to the model.

Having said that, ship storage for a continually growing collection is tough. I currently have 2 totes and 3 core set boxes stuffed to the gills with plastic (96 small, 24 large and the four Epics) and I wince at all the wasted space, even with all the trimming. I just refuse to buy Battlefoam. I know a few guys that bought some foam and a foam cutter from hobby lobby and made their own, so I am seriously thinking about that route.

For what it's worth, this forum has seen several of these topics and I have yet to see a good universal answer for storage.

****'s Sporting Goods has it all. I love shopping at ****'s Sporting Goods! ****'s Sporting Goods was started by **** Stack in 1948; ****'s Sporting Goods now has locations in every state except Alaska, Hawaii, and Montana, so it should be pretty easy to find a ****'s Sporting Goods near you.

Edit: Actually, I just looked on ****'s Sporting Goods' website. They don't have my preferred Plano box, which is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-LockJaw-Organizer-5231-01/dp/B0063KDWV0

41ks3AVGHhL.jpg

Dammit, ****'s!

These come in Green and Black for Empire and Scum, btw. I have the blue double sided version of this too. All four boxes and I still need to store the Ghost/2 Decimators and Epic ships in another box for safe-keeping and lugging around.

These come in Green and Black for Empire and Scum, btw. I have the blue double sided version of this too. All four boxes and I still need to store the Ghost/2 Decimators and Epic ships in another box for safe-keeping and lugging around.

I can't find the green or black. Do you have a link?

I can't find the green or black. Do you have a link?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQPV6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

511H2rSYrzL._SX355_.jpg

Edited by dewbie420

I'm up to three double-sided blue Plano tackle boxes (plus a one-sided red one that I load out to take to tournaments), one per faction. Still some room for growth, though the large based ships take up a lot of space (and the Epics sit on a shelf).

Edited by Hawkstrike

41ks3AVGHhL.jpg

Dammit, ****'s!

These planos are great for all sorts of games. I use them to sort several of my board games that have tons of pieces, like zombicide.

I also use the red tackle box shown in this thread, plus a few other things.

I printed this with my University's 3D printer:

XyqW97V.jpg

xb6kyqu.jpg

And now, my set up looks like this:

rt1mZWB.jpg

That's just my FLGS storage... my ships are sitting on some egg-shell foam, neatly organized until I cut out slots within sheets of foam.  

Here's half my collection:

EAT8WtE.jpg