Sign in to follow this  
kevacho

SF Backdraft...

On 26/10/2016 at 4:52 PM, Juunon said:

so this came up in our playgroup as well concerning Backdraft with the SF title.

Title: When attacking with a primary weapon from your primary firing arc, you may roll 1 additional attack die. If you do not, you may perform an additional attack from your auxiliary firing arc

The interpretation mixup here is what "If you do not" refers to. Does it refer to attacking with a primary weapon from your primary arc, or rolling 1 additional attack die, or both? Some have taken this to interpret it so that if Backdraft fires from his aux arc first, then the title allows him to fire again from his aux arc since they argue "if you do not" has been satisfied.

As a local TO, I've ruled this as "if you fire from your aux arc first, you get his pilot ability to add a crit, but the title doesn't trigger, since the requirement is to fire a primary weapon from your primary arc." I'm just looking for clarification that I'm making the right call.

New player here, but I'm an English teacher so I thought I'd wade in.

The ambiguous part of this is the hanging clause "If you do not...". This clause assumes that the entire condition of the previous sentence is met in order for the rest of the sentence to be true.

For example:

"Get me a big drink instead of a small one. If you do not, I will be thirsty" = "Get me a big drink instead of a small one. I will be thirsty, if you do not [get me a big drink instead of a small one."

Thus, the SF title in this way would read: "When attacking with a primary weapon from your primary firing arc, you may roll 1 additional attack die. If you do not [roll 1 additional attack die when attacking with your primary weapon from your primary firing arc], you may perform an additional attack from your auxiliary firing arc."

Essentially, not fulfilling the full condition of the first sentence, will cause the effect of the second. Therefore, to receive an additional attack from your auxiliary firing arc you must perform an attack from your primary arc and choose not to roll an extra dice. 

On 9/16/2017 at 6:43 AM, Atheling9 said:

New player here, but I'm an English teacher so I thought I'd wade in.

The ambiguous part of this is the hanging clause "If you do not...". This clause assumes that the entire condition of the previous sentence is met in order for the rest of the sentence to be true.

For example:

"Get me a big drink instead of a small one. If you do not, I will be thirsty" = "Get me a big drink instead of a small one. I will be thirsty, if you do not [get me a big drink instead of a small one."

Thus, the SF title in this way would read: "When attacking with a primary weapon from your primary firing arc, you may roll 1 additional attack die. If you do not [roll 1 additional attack die when attacking with your primary weapon from your primary firing arc], you may perform an additional attack from your auxiliary firing arc."

Essentially, not fulfilling the full condition of the first sentence, will cause the effect of the second. Therefore, to receive an additional attack from your auxiliary firing arc you must perform an attack from your primary arc and choose not to roll an extra dice. 

Please do this entire community a favor and rewrite the rule book. You sir, are boss.

39 minutes ago, Juunon said:

Please do this entire community a favor and rewrite the rule book. You sir, are boss.

You know this thread is a YEAR old right?

(And also that the post you're quoting, like a lot to so with Special Ops Training, conveniently ignores the 'when attacking' timing.  You have to be attacking with your primary weapon from your primary arc to trigger the card at all.)

12 hours ago, IG88E said:

To clarify further:

Backdraft does not (only) add a crit when firing from his rear arc. He can also add the crit when firing from the front arc, when the defender is in his rear arc (large base parallel to him).

Indeed. "Gunslinger" shots where you can fire both arcs at the same target are hard to set up, but with Backdraft they're devastating (as they are also inevitably range 1, giving you a 3-dice attack plus an automatic critical, twice).

9 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Indeed. "Gunslinger" shots where you can fire both arcs at the same target are hard to set up, but with Backdraft they're devastating (as they are also inevitably range 1, giving you a 3-dice attack plus an automatic critical, twice).

Not only that, but the second one at least will have a TL from FCS, because you're using FCS, right?

15 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Not only that, but the second one at least will have a TL from FCS, because you're using FCS, right?

Usually.  Definitely on Backdraft, anyway.

I've only seen this pulled off once, but it was ridiculous when it was - the person playing the First Order managed to park one TIE/sf on either side of the ghost, Rage/Electronic Baffle-ed Quickdraw, and turned probably the toughest ship in the game into confetti in a single shooting phase.