Sign in to follow this  
lowercaseM

Jedi Luke Preview

Motivation looks great and it is also a little bit of help towards the over costed uniques as it gives an advantage for costing so much... step in the right direction but they still have a lot of ground to cover. I agree about the Han comment, same cost as this Luke... ugh.

I really like the new command cards to, not sure all 3 have a place in the deck but you could definitely find a use for one of them. Very glad they are single cards.

Deflect almost seems too good to me.  If a regular group of stormies attacks Luke, regardless of how much damage they do to him, he can take one of them completely out without attacking a single time.

In theory this is true, but he has to have line of sight, so a smart opponent would position his figures to prevent that. But you're still looking at (most likely) three damage going somewhere, which is still pretty sweet.

-ryanjamal

With heroic here, we need more force user cards that give special actions.

That'd be nice for the future, as I like the flavor of "force user" cards. But there are already some that I don't particularly like as one of two actions, but which would fit nicely as a "third" action if you have the points for them ("telekinetic throw" on offense, "knowledge and defense" for survivability, "meditation" for utility).

Not to mention "Leader" and "Brawler" cards that fit the bill, along with generics ("Pummel," anyone?). Long story short, I don't think Luke will struggle to find use for that second action...

Can someone confirm if this statement in the article is true? (Below). I though you could only make one attack during youe activation, no matter what. Unless you had the assault ability.

"Although you’re restricted to only spending one of your actions to attack each round, Heroic does not cost an action, bypassing this restriction and inviting you to make two attacks per round, if you choose."

Can someone confirm if this statement in the article is true? (Below). I though you could only make one attack during youe activation, no matter what. Unless you had the assault ability.

"Although you’re restricted to only spending one of your actions to attack each round, Heroic does not cost an action, bypassing this restriction and inviting you to make two attacks per round, if you choose."

It's a subtle difference between "performing an attack" vs. "attack actions"

Figures (everyone that's got a deployment card, not those big campaign hero sheets) may only use one action (out of the 2, normally unless you use stuff like Meditation) as an attack action. Assault overrides that and let you use both of your action as attack actions. In normal cases you only receive attack actions by performing an attack (use one action to attack)

Heroic doesn't need you to use one of your available actions, it's a passive ability

edit: it's the same idea in campaign where Imperial troops can only attack once since they're figures & not heroes, but they can still attack multiple times using cards (not an attack action) like Fire at will and Sustained fire). Also there's no "heroes" in skirmish, everyone is a "figure"

Edited by ricope

Another way to look at it is it's about SPENDING AN ACTION to attack versus a way to get an attack that isn't even an action at all - that's what Heroic in Jedi Luke is. And stuff like brutality is spending one action that specifically allows you to attack two different things or rapid fire (?) on Vrinto letting you spend one action to attack twice. Both of those are actions that attack and therefore they use up the one action per turn that allows an attack of any kind.

It's similar to bossk's mini grenade which isn't actually an attack therefore you can do it and spend one action to do an actual attack in a turn.

We already talked about this the previous time we saw Heroic in the previews.... Edit: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/227004-jedi-luke-heroic-and-attacks/

The limit for non-heroes has never been in the number of attacks, but Actions containing at least one attack during your activation. Any number of attacks can be performed from abilities that are not actions.

For example Brutality is just one action that contains attacks. And there are special actions that you spend two actions to perform three attacks. It's still just one action performed, it just performs three attacks.

Edited by a1bert

edit: it's the same idea in campaign where Imperial troops can only attack once since they're figures & not heroes

Heroes are figures too. I used to say "deployment card figures" to differentiate them from hero figures, but I think simply non-heroes is a better term.

Heroes are also (deployment) groups for the purposes of abilities and rules referring to groups.

So Yes - you can do this?

Attack, Move (2 actions) - Heroic attack  all in the same activation

Edited by buckero0

Yes, during his activation Luke Jedi Knight can perform an attack from an Attack action (or some other suitable action containing performing an attack), then perform an attack from Heroic and any suitable third action that does not contain performing an attack.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/227004-jedi-luke-heroic-and-attacks/

Edited by a1bert

Motivation kinda seems super good.  What would be a reason that you wouldn't include that in an army?

If you don't have a unique figure to put it on.

You do all realize this is going on Jabba right?? The sheer irony that a giant fat slug is motivating Weequay, Gams, Troopers, and Hired Guns to be motivated and to get into shape?

*rubs hands menacingly* excellent...

~D

As I said in the skirmish post, they've got to have LOS to him. Look at the ISB map for example and tell me how and why (outside of turn 1) your going to have LOS with Jabba on that map. You may get more mileage in Nelvaniaan Warzone. Dianoga Map Jabba may be a liability altogether with his poor movement and only certain places he can fit in th deployment zone.

I was excited for it, but I don't think it will get as much play, especially not in scum lists.

Edited by buckero0

Calling it now: heroic will be a staple on future high cost uniques.

I'd love to see a free upgrade for Boba Fett that gives him this ability. That and maybe Deadly could justify his cost and have him see a lot more play.

I am going to miss the Recover surge on him, as I use it all the time on his other version.  I am really excited to play this version though.

Original Luke is much more of a team player for sure. I think NewLuke is more of a Lonewolf. I was worried with his dice colors if he'd be able to do enough damage, but that deflect rule is going to compensate, plus double attacking with Heroic is going to make him plenty dangerous. If you shoot him, you take damage, if you ignore home he'll chop you up

As I said in the skirmish post, he's got to have LOS. Look at the ISB map for example and tell me how and why (outside of turn 1) your going to have LOS with Jabba on that map. You may get more mileage in Nelvaniaan Warzone. Dianoga Map Jabba may be a liability altogether with his poor movement and only certain places he can fit in th deployment zone.

I was excited for it, but I don't think it will get as much play, especially not in scum lists.

Ummm...your play style must be rush in and hope for the best?

C-3PO is 3 speed and has to be ADJACENT and I manage to get his focus off on my other toons more than once or twice a game. Trust me, Ill have no problem getting him within LoS of others.

~D

You do all realize this is going on Jabba right?? The sheer irony that a giant fat slug is motivating Weequay, Gams, Troopers, and Hired Guns to be motivated and to get into shape?

*rubs hands menacingly* excellent...

~D

It's not great on Jabba, You need line of sight. Certainly possible but other figures will block sight and I think Jabba will usually want to hide in a back corner somewhere. 

I'm not really a huge fan of motivation. 1 movement point is pretty good, but it's only once per activation... it's limited to happening during a specific activation, needs line of sight, and 1 recover isn't amazing. 

I think it will be best used in the front line. Something like Luke + motivation + obi-wan. That way he can get obiwan to move a bit faster, and stop any stuns on him. But they will both be in deep and more likely to have line of sight to each other. 

It's not useful on low point support units since the target has to be cheaper. 

It's a good card but I don't think it's an auto include. At least there's no downside to this one (like some of other ones causing strain). 

As for Luke, he's awesome. built in +1 damage basically changes that blue to a red. Built in evade is great. 16 health is amazing though with a built in evade, a black dice would have been better (like obi-wan).

He does 5dmg on average to a black dice, minimum on 3. He actually does a bit worse against a white dice though. 

In any case, he basically gets 3 actions. Being able to attack for free means he can finally use some of those force user cards that require actions like Knowledge and Defense or Meditation.

Two attacks is very strong, they can both hit the same target, and he can use Son of Skywalker for 4 attacks in one turn. That's huge.  On average he can solo kill a bantha... which means with Son of Skywalker, he can probably solo kill any other character in the game. Not accounting for rerolls... he can actually kill vader in one turn like that. 

And that's not taking into account being focused or a double activation from getting initiative. He'll pay off his 12 points easily.

There's also deflect on top of that which is more free damage every time you try to shoot him. Stuns don't worry him much either as he'll still get to attack twice or move and attack after removing the stun.  

He's an absolute beast. 

How can justify the 18 points of vader now? Even if he gain heroic and deadly... 18 points are too much.. Dont you think?

I want to play vader, its my favourite character... But...

What Vader needs is something like:

Force pull: once per activation, when you declare an attack, before you declare your target, you may push one small figure up to three space to an adjacent space. You must target that figure with this attack.