Sign in to follow this  
PsychoRocka

Warriors Of the West - A New LOTR LCG Blog

Hey all! I have started a blog for this wonderful game. Mainly just doing turn by turn reports on quests I attempt and reviews on Nightmare quests at the moment but will add other types of content at a later date. Check it out and don't hesitate to let me know what you think or if I made any errors during one of my games/reports. 

The next quest I am going to try and do a turn by turn report for will be Raid on the Grey Havens. I am expecting Nightmare The Lost Realm to arrive in the post in the next week or so and will be doing reviews of these Nightmare quests when I can as well. 

https://warriorsofthewestblog.wordpress.com/

Edited by PsychoRocka

Bravo.

I've spent a fair amount of time to read ALL your report sessions and NM analysis during a train trip that I'm doing right now. It was really entertaining.

I'm eager to read more of it in the near future!

I have realized for a long time now that the what this community really lacks is good encounter deck and scenario discussion. There are tons of resources dedicated to decks and player cards, and almost nothing to encounter cards.

I've always found this odd since the player cards are meaningless without fun scenarios to go up against. I've thought about starting my own blog to deal exclusively with scenarios, encounter decks, and theme....but don't have time.

Perhaps you could fill this glaring gap in community content?

Thank you all for the kind words and feedback!
Gunslinger: I hope to do more content on encounter cards/scenarios and really enjoy doing the nightmare reviews but will definitely balance this out with turn by turn reports and whatnot. Thanks for the suggestion though and I will try and provide more content for encounter cards. There definitely are some resources out there that deal specifically with quests and the encounter deck though. Check out this new series Master of Lore has started: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/232782-master-of-lores-quest-profiles/

He breaks down the mechanics, lore and theme behind a scenario. He goes as far as even including deckbuilding suggestions and showcasing some of the best artwork. The first article on Passage through Mirkwood was a fantastic read and I look forward to reading future posts in this series!

Thank you all for the kind words and feedback!

Gunslinger: I hope to do more content on encounter cards/scenarios and really enjoy doing the nightmare reviews but will definitely balance this out with turn by turn reports and whatnot. Thanks for the suggestion though and I will try and provide more content for encounter cards. There definitely are some resources out there that deal specifically with quests and the encounter deck though. Check out this new series Master of Lore has started: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/232782-master-of-lores-quest-profiles/

He breaks down the mechanics, lore and theme behind a scenario. He goes as far as even including deckbuilding suggestions and showcasing some of the best artwork. The first article on Passage through Mirkwood was a fantastic read and I look forward to reading future posts in this series!

Love Master of Lore's stuff.....best blog out there I think. Problem is that he doesn't update much. Has he picked up lately?

Thanks for the write up. You changed some cards from the last time I checked the decks (Foe Hammer added for example). Would like to see the new stacks.

I've been playing my All in the Family decks (Tactigirn/Elladan/Elrohir - Elrong/Arwen/Galadriel) with 90% of the same cards. Reading how you play has improved my play. TIA

My pleasure Bullroarer! Thanks for suggesting Raid on the Grey Havens. Here is the current version of the decks I am using with the most recent changes down the bottom as comments: http://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/1251

I also changed x1 Cloak of Lorien to x1 Sulien (the new spirit ally). Your decks sound great (and a thematic home run!), I'd love to see them! As much as I love The Three Hunters I do miss using the twins :P. Aw thanks man! Glad to help!

Just finished my turn by turn report on Raid On the Grey Havens:

https://warriorsofthewestblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/22/warriors-of-the-west-raid-on-the-grey-havens/

I made a really silly mistake I have not ever made before with Na'asiyah towards the end. After a very careful look at what my situation and board state was at that point in the game however I have identified how I would have played and won had I not made the mistake and not a single extra shadow card, attack or encounter card is revealed in this alternative victory so it would have been 100% guaranteed. Still pretty upset with myself for making such an obvious mistake with Na'asiyah considering I always pay close attention to both parts of her ability. Many thanks to Robin Munn for finding the error and bringing it to my attention!

How are you willing to tackle those reviews (that, imo are the best entries on your blog  :P )? First a blind review with image spoilers and later another post with in-depth analysis? Or as you did in NM Trouble in Tharbad and NM KD (the first two), and all-in-one post with images and opinion after some gameplays?

I'm going to post spoilers for The Lost Realm first just for those who want to see the cards and pictures now as nightmare spoilers take forever to come out for this game (especially the pictures!). Then when I get some time I'll do a proper longer review (where I play the quests a few times and review each nightmare card) of both Intruders in Chetwood and Weather Hills :D Not sure yet if I'll do Deadman's Dike... it looks pretty brutal and the original is hard enough! Thanks so much btw! Glad you are enjoying the blog thus far :)

Edited by PsychoRocka

Nightmare Review for Intruders in Chetwood is up! https://warriorsofthewestblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/28/nightmare-review-intruders-in-chetwood/

Next will be Nightmare Spoilers for Deadman's Dike, recent updates to my decks and the most current versions (mainly to show what I am using when playing the games I report on or do reviews for) and some lore content I have planned!

Finally got a win against Nightmare A Knife in the Dark thanks to using Hour of Wrath on the last turn and subsequently destroying several foes including two Nazgul and the Witch King in a single combat phase! Review on my blog is on its way!

Hour of Wrath is easily my favourite card right now! Seeing it put to use in valour mode when needed most was epic!

Nightmare review of Flight to the Ford is almost ready! Severely underestimated the difficultly of this Nightmare quest and got slaughtered by Nazgul many times before I managed to squeak out a win! Excited to soon be moving on to the Nightmare versions of The Road Darkens quests.

a ton of new content:
Part three of my Nightmare Campaign and the review of Nightmare Flight to the Ford: https://warriorsofthewestblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/nightmare-review-flight-to-the-fordnightmare-campaign-part-3/

Updated decks and the thought process behind the hero change: https://warriorsofthewestblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/current-decks-used-new-decks/

A turn by turn report of Conflict at the Carrock is currently in the works and should be published later tonight.

As soon as my package with Sands of Harad and Nightmare Treason of Saruman arrives I will try and get a bunch of content published based on new encounter cards and quests rather than already existing ones.