Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

Seismic Torps, a popular choice in my area

This little and nasty toys are now a recurrent resource during casual play in my local LGS. Ep 4 ships are seen very often in games played between mature players. So you can see quite often one X Wing or Y Wing so equipped, or one ARC 170.

The key to its popularity is that you can shoot them in the Action Segment and then fry the unfortunate target with your turret or main armament. And the Combo "Shoot the m and somebody will give me a TL for my proton" is also popular.

Remove that rock from your LOS. 50% chance of hitting that high AGI target. Then Proton launch unobstructed. Perhaps not the best way to win professional tournaments but quite funny

They're quite satisfying. Aces have a tendancy to 'hug' rocks, and they're often easier to damage that way. Besides which, losing an action by firing the torp is often made up for by clearing the extra green die (as you now have a 'clean shot').

The most impressive use I've seen is someone sending in two x-wings and bwaaaaahm-ing a pair of rocks either side of a swarm as it moved in to joust due to not paying attention. Watching what was essentially a pair of assault missiles go off one on either side of the swarm before the combat phase even started was.....painful.

I have been very curious about them, but never actually run them in a game. For only 2 points, it doesn't seem like a bad investment, but compared with Black Market Slicer Tools I just feel like I am missing out on something more long-term. I guess the ability to damage multiple ships makes up for it though.

Black Market Slicer Tools are cool, if you're facing a stressed target. And if you're scum (or a veeeeery small selection of rebel ships).

By comparison, Seismic Torpedoes are "do you have a spare torpedo slot?" which if you're rebels and have any X-wings, Y-wings, E-wings, or K-wings in your squad, I bloody garuantee you do somewhere, and affect "is there a couple of enemy ships within range 1 of a rock somewhere?" which will generally happen as many turns as it doesn't.

They're quite satisfying. Aces have a tendancy to 'hug' rocks, and they're often easier to damage that way. Besides which, losing an action by firing the torp is often made up for by clearing the extra green die (as you now have a 'clean shot').

The most impressive use I've seen is someone sending in two x-wings and bwaaaaahm-ing a pair of rocks either side of a swarm as it moved in to joust due to not paying attention. Watching what was essentially a pair of assault missiles go off one on either side of the swarm before the combat phase even started was.....painful.

Welp, now I'm going to have to make that noise every time I use one of these.  Thanks for that.  (How similar is that noise to the inception trailer bwaaaaaahm?)

ive yet to run them. I dont hold them with very high value so if i find myself over points i'll cut'm and it seems like everything i try i need to cut them lol.

Though i probably could have ran 2 gold ys instead of 2 greys and brought them....i guess.... but i ended up barrelrolling almost EVERY TURN anyway lol

Edited by Vineheart01

I've found I like games with 20 obstacles on the table for variety.  Some of those would be hysterical in those games.  

Thane is a really good idea, though.

less than you'd think

ARCs really like obstacles, because they're very good at abusing them by snaking around them while bringing auxiliaries to bear while the enemy gets a difficult time following or avoiding them

seismics on Thane is really only paying points to negate one of the ARC's greatest strengths, which really only makes sense to do against Dash

Thats kinda my mentality. I want to use the seismic torps because its funny and can be a **** to several ships (yesterday someone ran 2 ships with it and tagged Echo and Vessery with both shots hehehehe...) but im way too much of a fan of rock-dodging. Especially on low agi ships (ywings/arcs...). The fact that rock was there gave me more value than i would by removing it, because i knew i could get around it and my opponent didnt so he flew off some other direction, losing his shot.

I like cheap ordnance to keep opponents on their toes. My Scum Aces (Fenn, Talonbane & VI Old Terry):

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!135:188,53,128:-1:26:;212:188,-1:43:15:;213:27,193:43:15:&sn=Scum%20Aces%20Seismic

The Ion torp allows my aces to know where to position themselves, the seismic clears out an obstacle when needed. 

can you use them on the debris you drop Rigged Cargo or does that not count as an asteroid.  I was just trying to think of ways to use the Contracted Scout.

They can fly up and use their action to shoot a seismic torp. Drop rigged cargo  - white s loop and do it again.

can you use them on the debris you drop Rigged Cargo or does that not count as an asteroid.  I was just trying to think of ways to use the Contracted Scout.

They can fly up and use their action to shoot a seismic torp. Drop rigged cargo  - white s loop and do it again.

Pretty sure you target an obstacle with seismic torps, so you can target the chute obstacle.

I think the idea of the seismics stirs the same child like joy of strategy pc gamers in the first generation of games which allowed meaningful terrain deformation to open new paths, but also leave a mark on the battlefield.

I would love to try them, but theyre too rich for my blood single and the arch does not suit my tastes at all.

Hahaha.  I'm baaaaaack.  (No one missed me.) 

Has anyone tried these btw?  Is it really worth it?  

BMST to me now seems like only worth its 1 point.  Eh.  Its nice as a helper in matchups that would otherwise lose to PTL aces, but its not game breaking.  

Certainly, I don't see using 1 Z for 13 points as ONLY a BMST carrier as being that effective in just a random list. 

Whoops, started another thread before seeing this one.

What's better of the three on a Ghost (Ghost can shoot regular Torps out the back) with Lando and EI (he can shoot the seismic as the Ghost's second action):

A) Flechette Torps / Flechette Torps

B) Flechette Torps / Seismic Torps

C) Seismic Torps / Seismic Torps

Edited by Boba Rick

Actually the ghost cant fire seismic torps out the back.

The seismic torp isnt an attack, its an action that specifically mentions the primary arc. Ghost special arc says "may perform secondary weapon attacks with [torpedo] icons out of the special firing arc" or atleast mentioning attacks.

Though i could see it getting a minor errata to allow the ghost to do it, since its the ONLY ship with that issue.

Actually the ghost cant fire seismic torps out the back.

The seismic torp isnt an attack, its an action that specifically mentions the primary arc. Ghost special arc says "may perform secondary weapon attacks with [torpedo] icons out of the special firing arc" or atleast mentioning attacks.

Though i could see it getting a minor errata to allow the ghost to do it, since its the ONLY ship with that issue.

Correct, Flechette can go out the back but Seismic as an action and only the front.  So, that being said, which of the three option do you think is best?

A) Flechette Torps / Flechette Torps

B) Flechette Torps / Seismic Torps

C) Seismic Torps / Seismic Torps