Sign in to follow this  
Stubby

Ahsoka, Wingman, Kyle Katarn crew question

24pts -Ahsoka Tano, Sabine's Masterpiece, Captured Tie, Black Market Slicer Tools, Kyle Katarn, Wingman

Ahsoka Tano  - At the start of the Combat Phase, you may spend 1 focus token to choose a friendly ship at Range 1.  It may perform 1 free action

Kyle Katarn -After you remove a stress token from your ship, you may assign a focus token to your ship.

Wingman - At the start of the combat phase, remove 1 stress token from another friendly ship at range 1.

Black Market Slicer Tools  - Action: Choose a stressed enemy at range 1-2 and roll 1 dive.  On a hit or crit, remove 1 stress token and deal it 1 facedown damage card.

Does this work?

Ahsoka reveals dial, moves, then for action does Black Market Slicer Tools.

If it works…..Kyle Katarn gives you a focus token

At the start of the combat phase – Wingman removes a stress token from a friendly ship and Kyle Katarn kicks in again and gives you a second focus token.

Then……Ahsoka can spend 1 focus token to let a friendly ship perform a free action.  Since I have two focus……can I then spend another 1 focus token to let a friendly ship perform another free action?

Ashoka will only let you grant a single action per round. The trigger for the ability is the start of the combat phase. That only happens once.

As for the Kyle Katarn interactions, I think that you have the right based on the FAQ. However, the FAQ for Wingman doesn't actually seem to work with the text on the Kyle Katarn crew card. Kyle requires that the stress be removed from your ship. Neither Wingman or BMST remove the token from your ship.

I think they've got the example in Wingman backwards. It should probably be describing a situation where Wingman removes a stress from a ship with Kyle and Kyle does not trigger.

"After you remove a stress token from YOUR ship"

Black Market Slicer and Wingman do not remove stress tokens from your ship, therefore Kyle never kicks in

The problem here being that the last FAQ directly said that Wingman will trigger Kyle.

With the FAQ as it is now, Kyle definitely works with Wingman and, therefore logically works with BMST.

I agree though that they will likely re-errata this as it makes little to no sense at all. But until then…..

What about another opinion on using Ahsoka’s effect more than once? 

That is.... if Ahsoka has 2 foci, can she use her effect  twice?  I am not convinced quite yet that the answer is a flat “no”.  Mainly because there is no defined end to the “start of the combat phase”

Card abilities are resolved as instructed by the text

on the card with the additional restrictions described

below:

•    A card ability cannot be resolved more than

once during the timing specified on the card.

For example, a card with the timing of “when

defending” cannot be resolved twice by the

defender during a single attack.

-- Rules Reference, Pg 8, Top-left.

Edited by Farwalker

With the FAQ as it is now, Kyle definitely works with Wingman and, therefore logically works with BMST.

I agree though that they will likely re-errata this as it makes little to no sense at all. But until then…..

With the way that that FAQ entry is now, Kyle should actually be able to grant a focus token to any friendly ship because apparently the meaning of "your ship" is now "any ship that the player controls" as opposed to "the ship that the card is equipped to".

Thank you very much!

You're very welcome!

On the other hand, BMST should have no interaction with a friendly Kyle- remember that BMST removes a stress token from an enemy ship, and there's no definition of "your ship" that overlaps with that. :)

Ahsoka with Wingman and Kyle will be fun until they change the FAQ. She will be a stress relieving action granting TIE of awesomeness. I would almost bet that the next FAQ will change the wording on Kyles card to say this instead of your. Because technically the way they wrote the card when you remove a stress from ANY ship you can assign a focus to ANY ship because they are all yours! They should just let him work like that and be the rebel answer to Palp.

My thinking why BM ST works, and my first interpretation of the FAQ ruling, is in the use of the word "From". I figured they use the word an in. " Joe got sick from eating bad meat". Here, "from" means -"as a result of". Applying this definition of from makes wing man work and BMST work

I honestly think that the Kyle+Wingman entry should be take as an exception, and that we should keep using the cards as they are worded.

Not doing so could start a catastrophic chain of rule twisting, and thats not what we want.

Hopefully, FFG releases a hotfix before October 24, which is when the rules officially go into effect. Until then, this clarification raises problems with other interactions. For example, based on the current Wingman/Kyle ruling, Kanan Jarrus crew on Ship A should receive a focus for clearing a stress on Ship B with Kyle Katarn crew.

Ahsoka with Wingman and Kyle will be fun until they change the FAQ. She will be a stress relieving action granting TIE of awesomeness. I would almost bet that the next FAQ will change the wording on Kyles card to say this instead of your. Because technically the way they wrote the card when you remove a stress from ANY ship you can assign a focus to ANY ship because they are all yours! They should just let him work like that and be the rebel answer to Palp.

That interpretation of "your ship" goes against the standard usage of "you" in card and rules text to refer to the ship that is resolving the ability or rules text. I haven't really looked into it, but using an interpretation for "your ship" to mean any ship in the squad of the player resolving the ability will likely change the way a lot of cards and rules work. 

That interpretation would allow:

- Bombs to be dropped from any ship in your squad. 

- Expert Handling to remove a target lock from any ship in your squad.

- Captain Kagi's ability now allows your opponent to target lock any ship that they could normally target lock.

- Hobbie pulls stress off of any ship in your squad when gettign or spending a target lock.

- Bossk crew gives a focus token to any of your ships when it triggers.

- Lightning reflexes lets you rotate any of your ships 180 degrees after the ship equipped with it performs a maneuver.

- Ysanne Isard triggers when the ship carrying her is out of shields and any ship in the squad has a damage card.

Edited by WWHSD

New FAQ was just released that fixed the typo.

'The ship with Wingman equipped is the ship that is
removing the stress token. Therefore, if a ship with
Wingman removes a stress token from another friendly
ship that is equipped with Kyle Katarn (crew), that ship
is not assigned a focus token from Kyle's ability.'