Sign in to follow this  
Izikial

Cards and the newbi

Hi guys. Thanks to some helpfull responsis i have a good idea of how to start the barrier i can see in front of me is cards.

For instance i can see my self needing 2 tlt but as i intend to play scum i dont fancy buying 2 k wings. So what do you guys do. Do you say the rules are on the list builder so thats enough? Do you buy just what you need from an after market source or do you just say i will never own tlt?

Thanks for the feed back

If you're playing casually in most clubs/stores just printing a list from a squad builder is enough, as long as you have the models, base tokens, and dials.

If you're playing in a tournament, you just have to suck it up and buy ships you don't need to get cards you want, or buy singles off ebay, though that's often more expensive per card for the in-demand stuff (like TLTs) than just buying the ship and maybe selling anything you don't want on ebay.

so upgrade cards specifically are only really needed for FFG sanctioned events, i.e Storechampionships and regionals/nationals/worlds tournaments etc.

everything else falls to your local group and how they decide to handle things

on my little end of the pond, we really don't give a **** about upgrade cards so long as you have the rules on hand (bonus points for handdrawn proxies). Hell, we've even allowed proxies of unreleased but spoiled upgrades. They are the easiest things to proxy since they're just text (as opposed to ship bases/models/dials etc.)

as always, though, confirm with your local group. While they should (if they care about their community at all) not be super anal about things, you never know until you ask

Coming from a perspective that plays mainly competitive and not much casual, I play test things all the time with printed cards to see if it's something I enjoy playing. If it is, then I'll go out and get the cards, if not into other lists. But talk to your opponents make sure they're fine with you testing proxies and then have fun.

Somethings about getting cards:

The facebook trade groups can helpful

eBay can be helpful and technically cheaper than buying straight ships but you only have the one card to show and not the whole pack.

Always check ship picking lists. For something like tlt, the king comes with two. One ship to finish off a list isn't bad. (Especially when it's a great looking model like the Laing and comes with other cards)

If you intend to play tournaments, you need to get the real cards, which is either accomplished by buying the models, borrowing from friends, or buying on Ebay or other sources.

For Casual Play, you can proxy cards or print a list from the various squad builders.

I go to the X-Wing Wikia pages, which generally have images of all upgrades and pilot cards.  I usually print these out to get a copy and have even gone as far to laminate them to have a long-lasting copy I can use.  (Especially when it's a card I doubt I will ever get by purchasing the actual ships.)

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wiki

One of the most interesting things I did recently was printing out the debris from Rigged Cargo Chute to use in a casual game.

I found an image that showed a ship dropping the debris field and resized it based on making sure the ship base size was accurate.

I glued the printed debris field onto a piece of craft foam to give it some stiffness and thickness and trimmed it to the shape.

After comparing it to my friend's real template - it was very close to matching the actual piece.

I also did something similar when I did not have enough Prox Mine tokens with extra munitions.

Hi guys. Thanks to some helpfull responsis i have a good idea of how to start the barrier i can see in front of me is cards.

For instance i can see my self needing 2 tlt but as i intend to play scum i dont fancy buying 2 k wings. So what do you guys do. Do you say the rules are on the list builder so thats enough? Do you buy just what you need from an after market source or do you just say i will never own tlt?

Thanks for the feed back

Yeah, I've unfortunately had to buy ships I don't care about for an upgrade card I need. It does open up possibilities down the road, but sometimes that's not a comfort.

I think there is pretty solid advice up above. The only thing I can add is to double check the number of upgrade cards offered in a pack. The K-Wing pack comes with two TLTs, so you'd only have to buy one to get what you want. I know that's not a perfect solution, and you might be better off with trade groups and/or eBay, but now you have the information to make a decision.

I'll Echo some of the other posts and add a little more.  First, K-wing comes with 2 TLT's so one should do you fine.

Lots of places will allow you to proxy for casual games.  Some of the phone apps are handy for squad building and identifying what cards come with what ships to help you grow when you want to actually own them.

As previously stated, you'll need all the actual ships/cards/tokens for formal events.  I find the community is friendly/responsible and have lent out cards to people I barely know for events and rightly trusted that they would be returned just as I lent them.  At the Hoth open people were loosing their range rulers for some reason and I lent all but the one I was using out and every one of them found their way home.  Make some friends/acquaintances and have fun.

I have been trying to collect one of everything (okay, I bought 2 of a few) and limit my list building to those cards.  If I wanted to run something that used ships/cards beyond what I have I would be very comfortable asking to borrow for an event.

Edited by Cr0aker

Thanks for the feed back

Do yourself a favor and buy a K-wing. It is in my opinion the funnest ship in the game to fly. Watching your opponents face when you bomb them from a mile away with an advanced SLAM is priceless.

As a number of people have said, local clubs should be fairly free with proxies. We have quite a competitive scene (certainly in tournaments but casual games are usually solid lists), but no-one minds a proxy if you clear it with them first. The last two weeks I've been running Rey and other HoTR cards - I just had a paper print out of all the cards needed. 

This is a touch extreme though, most people tend to do one or two at most.

For individual cards, there's usually resellers. I'm in the UK, so I use Big Orbit Cards or Blue Rat Games to get most individual cards - although those in epics tend not to be available. Facebook has a group that does decent trades or selling if you can find it. Picked up some cheap epic cards because I don't really want a tantive or a transport.

I'll wager that in a few short weeks, you will not have this concern. As I see it, it seems you have already begun walking the trail of this amazing quest, with the hopes of only seeing your journey to the first overlook and being content with its grand view; but beware the lure of the sirens that wale from a distance at that spot. They just may just draw you deeper into the mountains, farther than you ever thought you'd venture. But alas, perhaps you are a stronger man than most. I shall leave you this warning however: beware, this forum is littered with the shapes of striving, twisted souls who have girded themselves to see this quest to its end...if there is such a place.

Thanks for the feed back

Do yourself a favor and buy a K-wing. It is in my opinion the funnest ship in the game to fly. Watching your opponents face when you bomb them from a mile away with an advanced SLAM is priceless.

Nah what's priceless is when someone tries to drop a bomb before the slam and you inform them it does not work like that.