Sign in to follow this  
Tailsgod

New Canon Discussion (Books, TV, Comics, and more)

I find it mildly amusing that they need a new novel to tie Rogue One and Tarkin together, because as far as I can tell the movie will contradict the novel Tarkin, with Catalyst (assumingly) showing how the Director was actually there all along. Plus ça change and all that.

Just finished it. I have it on Audible and it's another great story by Luceno. It doesn't have much in the way of action but listening to the story of the contruction of the Death Star and the politics surrounding it is pretty darn fascinating. Luceno also did such a good job fleshing out the backstory of Orson Krennic and the Erso family that it's hard for me not to feel connected to them, which makes me all the more eager to see what happens to them in Rogue One.

been debating that one, what was the running time and how was the production? 

I liked the Ahsoka audio book as it was done by the voice actress and there was a bit of music and sound effects put in but not too much. 

Just finished it. I have it on Audible and it's another great story by Luceno. It doesn't have much in the way of action but listening to the story of the contruction of the Death Star and the politics surrounding it is pretty darn fascinating. Luceno also did such a good job fleshing out the backstory of Orson Krennic and the Erso family that it's hard for me not to feel connected to them, which makes me all the more eager to see what happens to them in Rogue One.

Awesome that's really great to hear! I love much of Luceno's work when it comes to framing movies especially his prequel and sequel to Revenge of the Sith. He gave the Clone Wars depth in the same way that I think the Thrawn Trilogy gave realistic depth to the OT. 

I heard Tarkin and Krennic have an interesting dynamic. 

Disappointing to hear that Tarkin is not good, that's the one I was most likely to read.

I haven't read the whole book but the first third was really good!

Edited by Forresto

I'm reading Tarkin now and have Catalyst que'ed up next....

But yeah the Tarkin novel makes no mention of Krennic - it talks about a group of scientists fighting over how to do the superlaser.... so how is Jyn Erso's Dad "THE GUY" who does the superlaser?   And how is Krennic in charge of anything when in Tarkin... Tarkin is the one in charge?  

Honestly I'm having SUCH a problem with all these new "canon" books constantly contradicting each other it's driving me to the point of just considering that this entire universe is just fiction. 

We'll be back where George left us soon enough: There's movie canon, then there's book canon which is canon unless something in a moving medium contradicts it, then there's everything else until it can be retconned.

Which is just as I expected and why I don't put much store in Leia not mentioning other children in Bloodline, we'll find out Rey is a Skywalker soon enough.

We'll be back where George left us soon enough: There's movie canon, then there's book canon which is canon unless something in a moving medium contradicts it, then there's everything else until it can be retconned.

Which is just as I expected and why I don't put much store in Leia not mentioning other children in Bloodline, we'll find out Rey is a Skywalker soon enough.

Except that Rian Johnson had some input into Bloodlines. 

Except that Rian Johnson had some input into Bloodlines. 

Yeah and as Pablo Hidalgo tweeted:

The disposition of the New Republic, its political factions and the napkin incident were pieces that came from Rian.

I'm reading Tarkin now and have Catalyst que'ed up next....

But yeah the Tarkin novel makes no mention of Krennic - it talks about a group of scientists fighting over how to do the superlaser.... so how is Jyn Erso's Dad "THE GUY" who does the superlaser?   And how is Krennic in charge of anything when in Tarkin... Tarkin is the one in charge?  

Honestly I'm having SUCH a problem with all these new "canon" books constantly contradicting each other it's driving me to the point of just considering that this entire universe is just fiction.

I'm not gonna spoil you with the details but trust me, Catalyst addresses that contradiction nicely. Lets just say there's a proffesional rivalry between Tarkin and Krennic.

It's just sloppy is what it is. Having to write a book to artificially keep an older book in the realm of canonicity.

Well we'll just have disagree on this issue then. Personally I don't see any contradiction in the first place; one guy is the head of weapons research on the Death Star and the other is a Grand Moff and regional governor. They don't even occupy the same position and rank, but they are both competing to be overall commander of the battle station, once it's completed.

Edited by Wraithdt

Well it makes total sense why Tarkin would barely give Krennic any thought, but Krennic would always have Tarkin in mind when you consider their relationship and positions. As Wraithdt said Tarkin is a Grand Moff and regional governor on top of ensuring the Emperor is pleased. That's a lot of plates to keep spinning. I imagine he sees Krennic not as a real threat but as a gnat or annoying insect that has managed to avoid being swatted.

Considering how favored Tarkin is with the Emperor I seriously doubt Krennic is much of a potential usurper. 

Lets also remember the conceit of the Tarkin novel is that it's his biography and considering he's a fascist, I wouldn't be surprised if he simply glossed over the parts with Krennic. One of the vague references to the design team could include Krennic or Galen Erso. If Galen Erso becomes a traitor well no wonder he's not mentioned in the Tarkin book. My point is this is easily retconned in the canon. 

I like Ahsoka. 

I didn't think Ahsoka was very good, though. 

Just a for instance: Who made Ahsoka's freighter? What class was it? What was it's name? 

When Ahsoka and her insurgents attacked the Imperial base, what type of walker did they target? How many of them were there? What type of tank did the Imperials use? What was its form of locomotion?

I honestly feel that the book was a rough draft just waiting for more details to be finalized before they could be plugged in and the book published. 

Edited by Vigil

I read both Catalyst and Tarkin. I enjoyed both books for different reasons. A few details in Catalyst bothered me.

Tarkin begins where Catalyst ends. In Catalyst, Krennic references Tarkin's missions with Vader near the middle of the book. If those missions are the same ones depicted in Tarkin, then Krennic is referencing events that haven't happend yet. Also, Tarkin commands Executrix in Catalyst, but in Tarkin the Executrix is introduced after the Carrion Spike is stolen.

I read both Catalyst and Tarkin. I enjoyed both books for different reasons. A few details in Catalyst bothered me.

Tarkin begins where Catalyst ends. In Catalyst, Krennic references Tarkin's missions with Vader near the middle of the book. If those missions are the same ones depicted in Tarkin, then Krennic is referencing events that haven't happend yet. .

Given that Luceno wrote Catalyst, it may be a nod to events from his Legends book Dark Lord, which he's been recanonizing a bit at a time.

There is one thing I hate about the Aftermath Trilogy and that's the exclusion of Rogue Squadron back into the new canon. I know they appear in Empire but that's only for Hoth. 

Phantom Squadron?! Phantom squadron?! For real? Why did Chuck Wendig feel the need to invent a new squadron for Antilles?

Too much gayness in aftermath.

The first gay couple...." Oh, that's kinda cool."

The second one gay couple later on..." Huh, not sure what the point of that is."

Then ANOTHER gay character

" OH FFS ! What is this guy trying to prove?"

Fine ...All inclusive and yadda yadda blah blah. But it's not helping the story.at all.

Get over it already. Everyone else has.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:20 PM, Velvetelvis said:

Too much gayness in aftermath.

The first gay couple...." Oh, that's kinda cool."

The second one gay couple later on..." Huh, not sure what the point of that is."

Then ANOTHER gay character

" OH FFS ! What is this guy trying to prove?"

Fine ...All inclusive and yadda yadda blah blah. But it's not helping the story.at all.

Get over it already. Everyone else has.

I can say the same for all the hetero characters

Han and Leia one "Oh thats kinda cool"

Padme and Anakin "Huh not sure what the point of that is"

ANOTHER STRAIGHT CHARACTER
"OH LUCAS! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROVE"

-shrugs- I didn't mind it there's a ton of gay people in the world. Sure they added a lot into the aftermath but after nothing but straight people sometimes overrepresentation is necessary to make people feel seen after years of being invisible. I have a couple of friends who are part of the LGBTQ community and one or two of them are super happy that Star Wars is being bold and adding so many characters that they can identify with. In fact they feel kinda other with so many other media not representing them at all. 

Its tough having their sexuality considered abnormal that more than two gay couples in a single series is considered shoving down a throat meanwhile noone speaks up when three or more hetero couples are shown in a series. 

Edit: Not all people in the LGBTQ communities might feel the same way, but for me I'm happy that some of my friends are able to identify more with Star Wars and find the series both comforting and refreshing. 

onto Star Wars Books!!!

THRAWN WAS AMAZING. It really developed the characters of the Empire. I too wish there was more story to it, but theres only so much you can do when your working to a fixed point. That's a lot of my problem with many of the books. They are all very careful not to disturb too much. Bloodline and Lost Stars are the only ones that felt really seperate which was good. 

I still love the books though, I ust hope that if Zahn writes more for the New Canon he has more room to have fun and let loose. 
Claudia Gray is currently the one that has the strongest entries (SHE'S DOING THE NEW LEIA BOOK AND I'M SUPER EXCITED). 

On the subject of thrawn though

That conversation at the end with Nightswan was absolutely fantastic. Up till that point I was firmly on team Thrawn, thinking he actually cared about the people under his command. But when he referred to them as assets and considered Tyranny a necessary evil that was just the push I need to see Thrawn as the monster he is. Nightswan was the best and he was right to turn Thrawn down. I also think Eli was pretty cool as well, kinda taking the Paleon place as the imperial commander with a heart. Price was unredeemable but that's no surprise. And I also found myself having mixed feelings on Yularen. I mean he's cool and all but the empire, the ISB, and everything he stands behind and protects is tyranical evil. I like him as a person but thinks his beliefs are wrong and must be stopped.

Edited by Tailsgod