Sign in to follow this  
Scopes

And it begins: We have a new explanation for Sith lightsabers

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have to go yell at some kids who are on my lawn...

I find that to be very therapeutic myself.

But here's the problem, either we have things that get explained and that explanation is considered official, or we don't. I'm not sure that having Canon be a part of fiction was such a good idea.

I mean we'd all agree that what happens on the movie or TV screen is that happened.  But in some ways the old system may of been better, where the books were never really canon, but rather tried to maintain some sense of continuity... Where if one author kills off Character X someone else doesn't just ignore that and act like it never happened.

That's kinda how they do it for Warhammer 40k, there is no real canon in that universe.  I also think that Highlander was much better for it being 'a kinda magic' and it should of never, ever, ever been explained.

But with Star Wars we seem to want explanations, we want to peek behind the curtain, and so we're stuck having to accept what we saw.

I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand I think it's really stupid and on the other really interesting. I'll wait to see how it plays out. Filoni is behind it and if that's the case this may have been George Lucas's intent for lightsabers from the beginning. As a film watcher this is incredibly dumb symbolism though, especially when red versus blue was obvious enough. It also raises other issues.

Why didnt Count Dooku's red lightsaber turn blue in revengee of the sith when Anakain was holding his? Why wasnt Anakin's lightsaber red in Revenge of the Sith when he had wiped out the jedi and killed CHILDREN? Why wasnt Krall's or Krell's (one is from the Umbara arc in the Clone Wars and the other from Star Trek Beyond lol) lightsabers red when he was a dark jedi? 

This is something we never, NEVER, needed explained that contradicts other media. 

From a marketing perspective it's sort've stupid, unless they leave it in this book. Kids care about these little things so if only certain people can hold red lightsabers and others every other color how are toy lightsaber sales going to go?  

Edited by Forresto

Why didnt Count Dooku's red lightsaber turn blue in revengee of the sith when Anakain was holding his? Why wasnt Anakin's lightsaber red in Revenge of the Sith when he had wiped out the jedi and killed CHILDREN? Why wasnt Krall's or Krell's (one is from the Umbara arc in the Clone Wars and the other from Star Trek Beyond lol) lightsabers red when he was a dark jedi?

the crystals don't change color once they've been set in the saber. So it's the process of creating the saber that sets the crystal color. A jedi who wanted to heal a red crystal would need to disassemble the saber heal the crystal and put it in a new one, or perhaps put back in the old one.

that contradicts other media.

It doesn't contradict any existing canon that I know of.

I haven't read the book but...[spoilers]

I read that the reason Ahsoka's sabers are grey is because the color drained from them. I also heard that they do now change color. So if a Sith were to pick up a Jedi's blade it would turn red. Essentially the lightsabers bleed. 

Maybe the websites I read were wrong, and if i'm wrong i'm actually happier for it, but that's what I read. I really want you to be right Vanor because that makes more sense so until I learn otherwise i'm going with what you said.

Edited by Forresto

A jedi who wanted to heal a red crystal would need to disassemble the saber heal the crystal and put it in a new one, or perhaps put back in the old one.

The EU even showed us this (Riptide) long before the Ahsoka novel. Was less "healing" and more "cleansing of dark energy" - but same general idea.

I haven't read the book but...

I haven't either, so I'm going on what was said in the linked article.

It seems from that it's not an instant change, a sith doesn't just pick up a saber and it turns red. Rather as the Sith bends the crystal to his/her will the blade turns red.

So even if it doesn't require rebuilding a saber, it still wouldn't turn red the moment it was picked up.

I read that the reason Ahsoka's sabers are grey is because the color drained from them.

Again per the article, hers are white not because the color drained out of the, but rather because she healed a set of crystals used Sith and when that happens they don't return to their original color.

It seems from that it's not an instant change, a sith doesn't just pick up a saber and it turns red. Rather as the Sith bends the crystal to his/her will the blade turns red.

So even if it doesn't require rebuilding a saber, it still wouldn't turn red the moment it was picked up.

I read that the reason Ahsoka's sabers are grey is because the color drained from them.

Again per the article, hers are white not because the color drained out of the, but rather because she healed a set of crystals used Sith and when that happens they don't return to their original color.

Soooooo.

If it's not instant, and green and blue lightsabers are common, does that mean I can get any color I want as long as I'm careful with the Sith alchemy?

I mean, if it goes through the gradient on its way to red rather than instantly turning red, that means while being corrupted that a green saber should go:

Green - Yellow Green - Yellow - Orange - Red

And likewise:

Blue - Purple - Pink - Scarlet - Red

color-picker.png

Seems like the only color that's off-limits is Cyan.  Perhaps if you mixed green and blue crystals inside the saber? Of course you'd have to get it right the first time because as soon as you leech the magic out it starts going up on the white-scale instead of back to a color.

What would the be ethical ramifications of "scratching" your lightsaber crystal so that it bled just enough to be the right color? This was a lot easier before the crystals had feelings.  :huh:

So lightsaber crystals are now midichlorians?

It sounds more like they are anti-midichlorians. Trying to take the technobabble pseudo-science out of the force and make it mystical again.

Your lack of understanding in the ways of the force is disturbing. Midichlorians are just a way for the force to speak to the living. There is really little since in it, just an indicator that someone is over 9000 ;-)

I never got this whole "Oh, Midichlorians are scientific, now the force lost all mysticism" act. The force is still the force, now we just have a connection between all living things and the force. 

I still hope they bring synthetik kyber crystals back and there is still the question how Palp manages to acquire all those ******* huge kyber crystals for his deathstar, twice even.

Space-Costco?

They can be found around on different planets. Very rare though. 

There was a whole 4 episodes of The Clone Wars about the Seperatists getting their hands on one. 

Really good stuff too. 

EPISODES HERE. 

And these episodes are considered to be canon more or less btw. 

Soooooo.

If it's not instant, and green and blue lightsabers are common, does that mean I can get any color I want as long as I'm careful with the Sith alchemy?

I mean, if it goes through the gradient on its way to red rather than instantly turning red, that means while being corrupted that a green saber should go:

And likewise:

color-picker.png

Seems like the only color that's off-limits is Cyan.  Perhaps if you mixed green and blue crystals inside the saber? Of course you'd have to get it right the first time because as soon as you leech the magic out it starts going up on the white-scale instead of back to a color.

What would the be ethical ramifications of "scratching" your lightsaber crystal so that it bled just enough to be the right color? This was a lot easier before the crystals had feelings.  :huh:

1377267969835.png

Told you guys, they are like lantern rings now ;)

Lightsabers are basically a mix between the lantern rings as Graves points out and wands from Harry Potter now it seems  <_<

I don't know if I like this or hate this. I will wait and see how lightsaber crystals play out to see. I just preferred them when they were special crystals. You know scientific. However they were unique and the Jedi attached a spiritual meaning to them that became stronger symbolically over the millennia. I don't mind the idea that jedi are drawn to specific ones like these crystals resonate with the force which is part of why jedi choose them. But I really dislike color being attached to allegiance rather then vice versa.

A color means a billion different things depending on culture within one species. Surely their are alien jedi or force users whose culture signifies red as good and blue as bad.  

Edited by Forresto

Lightsabers are basically a mix between the lantern rings as Graves points out and wands from Harry Potter now it seems  <_<

I don't know if I like this or hate this. I will wait and see how lightsaber crystals play out to see. I just preferred them when they were special crystals. You know scientific. However they were unique and the Jedi attached a spiritual meaning to them that became stronger symbolically over the millennia. I don't mind the idea that jedi are drawn to specific ones like these crystals resonate with the force which is part of why jedi choose them. But I really dislike color being attached to allegiance rather then vice versa.

A color means a billion different things depending on culture within one species. Surely their are alien jedi or force users whose culture signifies red as good and blue as bad.  

It would also depend on the physical environment of the alien's home-world, and their physiology.

Humans live in a world surrounded by blue, covered in green, brown at its core, and where the creatures are mostly red inside. Our favorite colors statistically are blue and red, with purple (red and blue mixed) and green following it up.

Perhaps bleeding sabers look different to different species? Maybe Vulcans see green Sith sabers?

Perhaps bleeding sabers look different to different species? Maybe Vulcans see green Sith sabers?

Did you just mix 'Trek with 'Wars? Carefull now!  ;)   :)

Vulcans would actually make pretty good Jedi.  "There's no emotion. There's peace."

Holy crap this has gotten out of hand.

They are swords. Laser swords. Really handy weapons in close quarters. Good for making doors in walls.

That's it. They aren't magic, they don't enhance anything other than the ability to cut people into pieces.

Didn't anyone watch the second Pink Five video? Lightsabers can change color with the turn of a dial!

Holy crap this has gotten out of hand.

They are swords. Laser swords. Really handy weapons in close quarters. Good for making doors in walls.

That's it. They aren't magic, they don't enhance anything other than the ability to cut people into pieces.

Didn't anyone watch the second Pink Five video? Lightsabers can change color with the turn of a dial!

energyweapons101.jpg

These are laser swords, lightsabers are trademarked.

I don't have to like it, but Canon means "the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine". So yes, lightsabers are now less magitech, and more magic+tech. (Or at least a little more magic than they were before.) 

I don't see the "Holy crap!" area you're concerned about either. This thread is about "a new explanation for sith lightsabers", and we're still talking about explanations for lightsabers. We're not out of hand, heck we're not even off-topic.  :huh:

Say it with me now

"Not everything in the old eu was as good as Thrawn"

Did I enjoy the old kyber crystal theory

Sure it gave a sense that the dark side was unnatural, a shadow that's power was great but ultimately artificial.

This one is slightly more straight forward but I do love it because it adds a new layer to the lightsabers. Each crystal is linked to the one who wields it. Every lightsaber was personal before but this makes them represent even more than before the souls of the Jedis

The dark side is taint and by running it through the sabers it arguably gives them a lot of power but is also killing them. I imagine that if there was a Jedi that was particular attuned at sensing crystals that all they would hear would be screams from the red lightsabers.... And I kinda love that

"I don't mean to alarm you, but I'm tracking the Sword of Crota by the Light of the Guardians it's killed."

Soooooo.

And likewise:

color-picker.png

1377267969835.png

Maybe, but I wouldn't consider those to be accurate per color. The only person in canon (that I know of) with a purple lightsaber is most definitely not loving. In fact, he's known for using borderline darkside techniques...

Maybe, but I wouldn't consider those to be accurate per color. The only person in canon (that I know of) with a purple lightsaber is most definitely not loving. In fact, he's known for using borderline darkside techniques...

Yeah, that's just an example of the lantern corps, they don't match up with lightsaber colors. But if this is the direction they are taking lightsabers and force sensitive cristals we might see something similar in the future.

Yeah, that's just an example of the lantern corps, they don't match up with lightsaber colors. But if this is the direction they are taking lightsabers and force sensitive cristals we might see something similar in the future.

Yea, perhaps the closer the color is to red on the color gradient, the more stress the crystal endures from the darker elements inside someone?

Yea, perhaps the closer the color is to red on the color gradient, the more stress the crystal endures from the darker elements inside someone?

That could work. But now I have this image of a jedi master holding a colorwheel and a book of color samples to check his padawans lightsaber. :)

Obi Wan: "#4682B4. Last week it was #00BFFF. Your lightsaber has shifted slightly towards the red side of the spectrum. Is something bothering you Anakin?"

While the bleeding lightsabers is good in theory I don't know if it was really well thought out. We'll have to give the concept time to play out. 

I just think it's making something already simple and straight forward even more so. 

Edited by Forresto

That could work. But now I have this image of a jedi master holding a colorwheel and a book of color samples to check his padawans lightsaber. :)

Obi Wan: "#4682B4. Last week it was #00BFFF. Your lightsaber has shifted slightly towards the red side of the spectrum. Is something bothering you Anakin?"

But we already decided that the color doesn't change. It only is created when the lightsaber is created. One could easily assume that Blue, and Green are the "average person", and Anakin wasn't as dark a person when he created his lightsaber.