Sign in to follow this  
Scopes

And it begins: We have a new explanation for Sith lightsabers

AHSOKA NOVEL SPOILERS

From the article:

"In Ahsoka, it is revealed that the Kyber crystals are actually force sensitive. They choose their desired users and present themselves to the Jedi in question. Those who use the Dark Side of the Force, such as the Sith, don't have this unique connection to the crystals.

The only way a Sith can get ahold of a Kyber crystal is by stealing them or taking them away from the defeated Jedi.

The crystal loses its original hue as the Sith, or other Dark Side users of the Force bends the Kyber to their own will. This results in the Kyber crystal 'bleeding', thus turning it red. A crystal that has been tainted by the Dark Side can be healed. But it doesn't return to its normal color, it instead turns white."

Seems fine to me. This was already hinted at in The Clone Wars when the younglings find their crystals, which were initially colorless until they found them, until the crystals called out to them. 

Honestly the more spiritual/fantasy-y the crystals are the better in my opinion. If you're looking for hard science you've picked the wrong franchise. 

Also not sure what you mean by "It Begins."

Do you mean concepts and explanations in canon differing or contradicting what we previously knew in Legends? That began a while ago. 

If the Prequels taught us anything, it's that sometimes a story is best left to one's imagination. 

Nothing needed to be changed. Things were fine the way they were wrt the topic of lightsaber crystals, but some just like change for change's sake, I suppose. 

To each his own. 

If the Prequels taught us anything, it's that sometimes a story is best left to one's imagination. 

Nothing needed to be changed. Things were fine the way they were wrt the topic of lightsaber crystals, but some just like change for change's sake, I suppose. 

To each his own. 

But this wasn't previously left to the imagination. The old EU explained Sith lightsabers being red by saying they used synthetic crystals. 

Seems like people just like to find things to complain about. 

So lightsaber crystals are now midichlorians?

It sounds more like they are anti-midichlorians. Trying to take the technobabble pseudo-science out of the force and make it mystical again.

Which is something I've really enjoyed with the new stuff. The Force is taking a very mystical feel again. Lightsabers really been more than mere tools for the Jedi for quite some time. I kind of like what they are doing with the crystals. 

It sounds more like they are anti-midichlorians. Trying to take the technobabble pseudo-science out of the force and make it mystical again.

I can somewhat see your point, but the whole bit about being force sensitive and choosing their owner just strikes me as the mineral equivalent of sentient organelles.

These kind of explanations kill SW for me. It doesn't adhere to my personal SW canon.

Some things a better left off-screen/off-page. Leave it up to our minds to fill the gaps. The bounty hunter in Ord Mandell .. Guaranteed what's in my noggin is better than anything someone else writes. Why!? Because it's relevant to me, my interests, my history, my experiences, etc.

Your lack of understanding in the ways of the force is disturbing. Midichlorians are just a way for the force to speak to the living. There is really little since in it, just an indicator that someone is over 9000 ;-)

I never got this whole "Oh, Midichlorians are scientific, now the force lost all mysticism" act. The force is still the force, now we just have a connection between all living things and the force. 

I still hope they bring synthetik kyber crystals back and there is still the question how Palp manages to acquire all those ******* huge kyber crystals for his deathstar, twice even.  

Edited by SEApocalypse

But this wasn't previously left to the imagination. The old EU explained Sith lightsabers being red by saying they used synthetic crystals. 

Actually it didn't - there were lightside Jedi with red blades (Yinchorri Crisis comic arc showed a few) and lightside Force Users with synthetic crystals that weren't redblade-makers :  Luke (green) Jaina (purple) the Imperial Knights (white).

The late-period EU also showed a red crystal being "healed" a bit like with the Ahsoka story. In Riptide Jaden Korr "heals" or "cleanses" a red crystal of the dark side, attunes it to himself - and his lightsaber blade is yellow.

Edited by Ironlord

Haters gotta hate I guess.

I always liked the idea that sabers are attuned to the wielder as part of the creation process.   This would naturally include the crystal, and this explanation of why they're red is as good and quite frankly better than the old 'well they're artificial' one which was nonsense... 

If you can create artificial crystals then you should really be able to make them any color you want.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

I always liked the idea that sabers are attuned to the wielder as part of the creation process.   This would naturally include the crystal, and this explanation of why they're red is as good and quite frankly better than the old 'well they're artificial' one which was nonsense... 

If you can create artificial crystals then you should really be able to make them any color you want.

I am not a hater. 

AHSOKA NOVEL SPOILERS

From the article:

"In Ahsoka, it is revealed that the Kyber crystals are actually force sensitive. They choose their desired users and present themselves to the Jedi in question. Those who use the Dark Side of the Force, such as the Sith, don't have this unique connection to the crystals.

The only way a Sith can get ahold of a Kyber crystal is by stealing them or taking them away from the defeated Jedi.

The crystal loses its original hue as the Sith, or other Dark Side users of the Force bends the Kyber to their own will. This results in the Kyber crystal 'bleeding', thus turning it red. A crystal that has been tainted by the Dark Side can be healed. But it doesn't return to its normal color, it instead turns white."

Seems fine to me. This was already hinted at in The Clone Wars when the younglings find their crystals, which were initially colorless until they found them, until the crystals called out to them. 

Honestly the more spiritual/fantasy-y the crystals are the better in my opinion. If you're looking for hard science you've picked the wrong franchise. 

Do you mean concepts and explanations in canon differing or contradicting what we previously knew in Legends? That began a while ago. 

"It begins" as in now The Mouse will change what it sees fit regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Fine. They own the stuff, so they are free to do what they want.

That doesn't mean they can't eff it all up. 

When do they stop with the re-writing of the old EU and begin to re-write the canon stuff? That's my worry. It's happened before in other IPs and can happen here. 

AHSOKA NOVEL SPOILERS

From the article:

"It begins" as in now The Mouse will change what it sees fit regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Fine. They own the stuff, so they are free to do what they want.

When do they stop with the re-writing of the old EU and begin to re-write the canon stuff? That's my worry. It's happened before in other IPs and can happen here. 

I'm not sure how many more times I'll have to say it, but I guess at least one more time is in order. 

LUCASFILM MAKES STAR WARS. Lucasfilm is in charge of the creative decisions in Star Wars. I GUARATEE you no one at Disney said, hey you know what, let's change how Kyber crystals work. NO. The story group made that call. 

Did you blame Disney the last time anything happened in Marvel? "The Mouse" owns Marvel too. They let Marvel do their own thing. 

Lucasfilm is writing the stories. Lucasfilm makes Star Wars. Dear lord I'm getting sick of explaining this. 

Regardless of how you feel about the new direction Star Wars storytelling has taken, all of these changes in canon are happening because people like Pablo Hidalgo, Kiri Hart, Leeland Chee etc etc have decided that that's what's best for Star Wars, not because some executive at Disney is handing down mandates on what they ought to change. 

If you hate Star Wars, blame Star Wars, or at least the people working on it. 

Of course they can, one should never underestimate the ability for someone to eff something up.

But in this case they have several people who are part of the story team who in theory anyway help keep things in check, so no one single person can decide what does or doesn't happen... Unlike in the days when George could do whatever the hell he wanted and everyone else had to just deal with it.

What gets me is explanation is no worse, and IMO better than the old EU's, yet you have people acting like they just kicked their puppy or something.

Hence the comment, because there are people out there who hate anything in the new canon for no other reason then because it's the new canon.

When do they stop with the re-writing of the old EU and begin to re-write the canon stuff?

Who knows if or when they will.  But it's not like that never happened in the old EU.

Edit: As far as the Mouse cares... As long as Star Wars continues to make huge amounts of money for them, they won't touch it.  No one in their right mind is going to mess with something that makes the kind of money that Star Wars does.

Edited by VanorDM

SO to preface, my experience with Kyber crystals was the Knights of the Old Republic games. This doesn't really seem to be that huge of a change. Definitely not something to get up in arms about in my opinion. 

Lucasfilms/Disney has been given the chance to prune the Star Wars universe, and they are exercising that chance to mostly good/great effect. is every change they make going to be a home run? No, it won't. But neither was a lot of the EU. I just hope that they do some stuff with the other timelines and eras. It would stop this rage over changing tiny bits of the old EU. Every time I see an Old Republic trailer I say to myself "this would be a fricken EPIC movie". 

Say it with me now

"Not everything in the old eu was as good as Thrawn"

Did I enjoy the old kyber crystal theory

Sure it gave a sense that the dark side was unnatural, a shadow that's power was great but ultimately artificial.

This one is slightly more straight forward but I do love it because it adds a new layer to the lightsabers. Each crystal is linked to the one who wields it. Every lightsaber was personal before but this makes them represent even more than before the souls of the Jedis

The dark side is taint and by running it through the sabers it arguably gives them a lot of power but is also killing them. I imagine that if there was a Jedi that was particular attuned at sensing crystals that all they would hear would be screams from the red lightsabers.... And I kinda love that