Sign in to follow this  
acidReign

Why the Jumpmaster nerf is bad for x-wing (hear me out)

Ok, have to admit, it still made me chuckle to go back and read myself complaining about the first Jumpmaster nerf and be salty about how much money I’d spent on Jumpmasters... I was so young and naive... I never even saw that triple torpscouts would still be a problem with Attani. Even without Attani - people would’ve taken something else. That ship was just completely busted. This most recent nerf so needed to happen. 

This also makes me realize how much I miss some of the old forum-goers... Come back! I promise that this Wookiee has been desalinated! 

On 10/17/2016 at 7:06 PM, Kdubb said:

My issue is why stop at Uboats? They had a perfect opportunity to also nerf Palp, Manaroo, Zuckuss, /x7, regen mechanics, TLT, stress stacking.... Actually, just take everything that has ever won anything, nerf it, and lets see where that gets us.

;)

THIS CONFIRMS FFG LISTENS TO ME.

IN B4 R2D2 AND TLT NERFZ.

On 10/17/2016 at 7:01 PM, kyten44 said:

You are wrong.

What if I told you that the current nerf wouldn't have worked in the first place. Well there are 122 people who were laughing with you and we now all know who was really wrong.<_<

Remember folks just because an opinion is popular, doesn't mean it is the correct one.-_-

On 10/17/2016 at 7:11 PM, Cesamasec said:

Ok, the OP made a thought out post and asked for thoughts. Yes you gave your thoughts, but blanket statements like that do not contribute and honestly are pretty d*ckish

Yeah but whit over 120 likes from laser brained nerf herders cheering for an action that ended up not having the effect they desired just goes to show you how a toxic community can kill the game. If the devs continue to cave into pressure from forums and reddit, competitive X-wing will end as surely as it would if Disney pulls the licenses from FFG.

1 hour ago, Sarcon said:

I’m still waiting for that Rebel terrain ignoring Jumpmaster to get nerfed :D

PS7 with no shots at range one.

Dash is REAL good, but not as broken as he first appears. And remember, of you want to be a real SOB about it, you can just jump on an opponent who doesn't declare his ability...

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Yeah but whit over 120 likes from laser brained nerf herders cheering for an action that ended up not having the effect they desired just goes to show you how a toxic community can kill the game. If the devs continue to cave into pressure from forums and reddit, competitive X-wing will end as surely as it would if Disney pulls the licenses from FFG.

297.png

I've been a gamer for 30+ years and most games that are played for a long period go through this.  Battletech is a perfect example. The original rules were relatively simple and unit choices were limited but the accounting, involved with the game didn't scale well. On top of that the designers started introducing new units and new special rule sets that scattered the rules across multiple expansions. The games designers additions magnified the minor flaws and broke the game.

In the intervening years they released a version 2.0, alpha strike, that uses the same miniatures as the original and they support both games. It took them a long time to realize the issues, and the BT community is much smaller now than it was. 

I think the nerfs have been a step in the right direction but I think other steps are required like releasing a revised rule set that incorporates all of the changes in 1 location, offering replacement cards for those cards that have changed, etc. They could also take that opportunity to fix some glaring game balance issues without replacing the games with a 2.0, maybe more of a version 1.5.

3 hours ago, Marinealver said:

You are wrong.

Edited by Kdubb

On 10/17/2016 at 9:44 PM, acidReign said:

It shows that x-wing has gotten "too big for its britches". As pointed out in an excellent scum and villainy podcast recently, the complexity of the game is ratcheting up with every product release. Every new wave means thousands of interactions that need to be tested. The conclusion is the game designers are unable to accurately QA and playtest their product to avoid a critical error. The stat line on the jumpmaster being the first, with potentially more critical errors introduced with each new wave.

I do not fault the game designers here, it seems they have 1.5 FTEs working on their highest grossing product. FFG really should inve$t in a better QA and playtesting process to protect this valuable revenue stream. Perhaps even mathematical modeling and analysis of the game dynamics and interactions to find all possible untested combinations is worth developing. 

IMO the designers are faulty in this case. The game was bound to get big from the start. Instead of having some base formula to establish design guidelines, they went for a "create by feeling" approach. When you know that the game is eventually going to have thousands of possible interactions, it's a recipe for failure.

It's true that they need better QA testing but it doesnt have to come from a bigger investment. There are many compagnies that use their player base for testing with great results. What they need IMO is to be more open and communicative. There is no reason to hide to the players what change they are considering. On the contrary let the player know about and test those change. And LISTEN to the feedback they give you. From what i understand they dont take much into account the results they get from the little testing they do.

There is also the case of some product being so obviously unbalanced from the start that it doesnt really require any testing to find out. Nym is the best example of that. If we go further back i'm having a really hard time figuring out how it wasnt obvious the Tie Punisher was underpowered when played (and tested) along with the Kwing. You look at the 2 ship on paper and there is no way you can think the two will be equally good.

Another example would be when they said they did not think about the potential interaction between Palp and Kylo being powerful. I mean common! You release a new ability and you dont think about how it will work with one of the most used card in the game??

Finally they said they dont test how future release will affect the meta. Just that is a complete non sense. It's the 1st time i hear something like that from a big game compagny. Any game with a competitive environment need to take into account how a new release will affect eventual tournament results. This is like design 101!

Edited by Thormind

On 11/1/2017 at 6:28 AM, ScummyRebel said:

Pure nonsense from someone who just hates the ship. They are very good, but could be beaten. And now they really can be beaten.

Apparently, the salt is strong with this one.

Edit:

Dang it, fell for the necro... Here I thought this whole thing was about the latest torp and mech nerfing...

Yeah... my comment was from a year ago. And I have flown JM5k plenty.

The current nerf in the last few weeks was (IMH)) overkill.

21 hours ago, The Penguin UK said:

PS7 with no shots at range one.

Dash is REAL good, but not as broken as he first appears. And remember, of you want to be a real SOB about it, you can just jump on an opponent who doesn't declare his ability...

Dash is broken. He’s always been tier one. Doesn’t stop me from playing Dash at tournaments, but honestly a skilled Dash player can handle the donut hole very well, like it’s almost not there.