Sign in to follow this  
NeverBetTheFett

Biggs nerfed?

Oh I agree completely. I am not sure if I have ever had it work. But it is only 1 point for an extra health and it will kick in occasionally. Looking at the other 1 point astromechs, I am not sure there is anything better.

You could make a good case for R2-D6 with adapability so you can play Zombie Biggs against Brobots or Crack Swarms. But unless you are facing lots of opponents at PS4 or PS6, it won't work at all. R2 Astromech is OK and may help with shifting stress if you have to K-turn in order to keep up with more agile wingmen but does not directly boost survivability.

I feel that R4-D6 is probably the most useful 1 point Astromech for Biggs. If you want something that provides better defense then you have to spend more points. Personally I would rather spend the points on the rest of my squad but if you find that buffing Biggs further works for you then that is cool.

R4D6 is more a valid option on biggs because like you said hes cheap, and you DONT want expensive mechs on him.

In theory the new M9G8 would work on biggs since he can be a real thorn to the major hitter, but thats a 3pt mech for 1die mod that might not even work in your favor. But other than that....R2 generic because 1pt IA feeder lol.

If willing to spend 2pts, you could put R3A2 on him if you arent running a stresser already. He isnt optimal for it....but better than nothing lol

R7 Astro would be great if the enemy list has that 1 obvious nuker, but the moment you face a list that has 2-3 ships with equal power that idea drops off quick. Plus no focus w/o outside help.

Edited by Vineheart01

All I can say is twice biggs took 5 hits from proton rockets in two different games, and both times he ended with taking only 1 dmg.

Rolled 2 evades, r4 canceled ome and biggs took one stress, then sacked the droid. Ended with 1 dmg.

Funny thing was it was against the same guy. He hates biggs lol

Edited by Krynn007

All I can say is twice biggs took 5 hits from proton rockets in two different games, and both times he ended with taking only 1 dmg.

Rolled 2 evades, r4 canceled two and biggs took two stress, then sacked the droid. Ended with 1 dmg.

Funny thing was it was against the same guy. He hates biggs lol

It sounds like you did something wrong. Biggs should have been dead. You'll always take at least two hits when using R4-D6.

If you canceled two hits with evade results, that leaves you with 3 hit results. R4-D6 will allow you to cancel one of those. That leaves you with two uncanceled hits.

How did I do something wrong?

I canceled until I had two uncanceled results then I sacked my droid to prevent another. Leaving 1 dmg

I guess I said I cancled two, but I was wrong.

This how it went down

He attacked, with a focus 5 hits

I rolled two evades.3 dmg left

I canceled down to two, then sacked the droid, taking 1 dmg

Edited by Krynn007

I think the point of confusion was this bit in bold

Rolled 2 evades, r4 canceled two and biggs took two stress, then sacked the droid. Ended with 1 dmg.

I did probably the same thing he did, got to that, and didn't really parse the rest because that part immediately jumps out as wrong. Since you can only cancel one of the three at that step with R4-D6, and thus can only take 1 stress, saying you cancelled 2 and took 2 stress makes it sound like you used R4 wrong.

I think the point of confusion was this bit in bold

I did probably the same thing he did, got to that, and didn't really parse the rest because that part immediately jumps out as wrong. Since you can only cancel one of the three at that step with R4-D6, and thus can only take 1 stress, saying you cancelled 2 and took 2 stress makes it sound like you used R4 wrong.

Which is understandable. Oh well, we know it still works, and it is funny to see the look on someone face when they hit 5 times, and in the end you say "biggs takes 1"

Anyway, nothing a simple edit can't fix, cause you know someone else will read, without reading the next 5 posts and feel to the need to correct it as well

Edited by Krynn007

That was the way we played Biggs when HWK came out and it actually could happen.  We then tried to make it happen and it seldom worked.  New alpha strikes made it more likely but I don't think it will really matter.

Since it opens up design space, I'm all for it.  

R4D6 is more a valid option on biggs because like you said hes cheap, and you DONT want expensive mechs on him.

In theory the new M9G8 would work on biggs since he can be a real thorn to the major hitter, but thats a 3pt mech for 1die mod that might not even work in your favor. But other than that....R2 generic because 1pt IA feeder lol.

If willing to spend 2pts, you could put R3A2 on him if you arent running a stresser already. He isnt optimal for it....but better than nothing lol

R7 Astro would be great if the enemy list has that 1 obvious nuker, but the moment you face a list that has 2-3 ships with equal power that idea drops off quick. Plus no focus w/o outside help.

M9-G8 would probably be better on one of Biggs' buddies than it would be on him. Biggs really can't afford to take a target lock action instead of a focus. If it is on someone else they can continue to provide offensive or defensive benefits to the squad once Biggs is dead.

M9-G8 would probably be better on one of Biggs' buddies than it would be on him. Biggs really can't afford to take a target lock action instead of a focus. If it is on someone else they can continue to provide offensive or defensive benefits to the squad once Biggs is dead.

Either Thane with Weapons Engineer (who can get a lot of mileage out of it per turn), or Tarn Mison, who is really really annoying to kill himself once biggs goes down.

Except its highly unlikely except against HLC that 3-4 hits are all HITS and not 1 random crit, which R4D6 does nothing for.

I might get 1 shot a game where i didnt get a single crit on a 3-4 die attack with no blanks.

This is why I'm not sold on R4-D6.

Except its highly unlikely except against HLC that 3-4 hits are all HITS and not 1 random crit, which R4D6 does nothing for.

I might get 1 shot a game where i didnt get a single crit on a 3-4 die attack with no blanks.

This is why I'm not sold on R4-D6.

For the amount I've used biggs which is a lot, I can easily say more times than not r4-d6 has prevented a lot of dmg. Also not just for the times I've used him, but also for the times I've been against him. I can easily say over 100 times, no problem. Not to run r4-d6 on biggs because the fear of a crit is foolish. Yes it'll happen at times, but more times than not you'll prevent some dmg

Look at it this way, even if you're opponent gets 4 dice at range 1, even if he does roll a crit, and your dice crap put on you, you can still stop some of that dmg. Also I believe there is only 1 crit per die, so again statistically speaking, your going to see more hits than crits. Of coarse that's not counting a mangler canon or calculation, etc

For only 1 pt, I think it's foolish to run anything else on him. It's the cheapest defensive upgrade you can give him, and I've seen it work Wonders. There is no other droid to put on him. R2-d2 is too expensive on a ship that is ment to die. R2 just makes him more predictable, can hinder him as well as you want to usually stay close to your squad, and if two or 3 ships are shooting him, regaining that 1 shield won't really help him when he's down to his last hull or two. Especially if he takes a total of 5 dmg in a round. He's dead, where as maybe with r4-d6 he'll still he alive for another round, and with biggs, that's all that matters. For 1 ot there Really isn't a better droid for him

Might I add, for 1 pt, even if r4-d6 doesn't do anything all game, you can still sack him when running integrated astromech, which in my opinion is better than sacking a 4 pt droid.

Edited by Krynn007

Homing missiles do not spend the TL to fire. Thus, TL + Focus + Anti evade token.

Slap crackshot on there with gammavets

They are deadly. If you dont recognize that as deadly, nobody can convince you. If ONE of these can make Soontir crap his pants and flee in terror, multiples will do more. And they do.

What is the Anti-Evade token?

But what about R2 Astromech. With all the stress running around these days, maybe opening up more greens is a better choice for 1 point?

meeeh

see r4-d6 may not do anything, but sometimes it completely neuters your opponent (had it trigger thrice v dengaroo, for example)

r2 just...doesn't do anything on Biggs specifically. He's not really a jouster as much as he is...Biggs, so who cares if he's stressed or not?

the thing to remember about r4-d6 is, apart from being 1 point, it's also the cheapest integrated at your disposal

the fact that it can do other things is just gravy

whereas the other 1-pointers aren't worthless (like r3 astro), but they don't have nearly the same impact that r4-d6 can on Biggs specifically

Because Biggs has 1 job, and that's to die first :P

Might I add, for 1 pt, even if r4-d6 doesn't do anything all game, you can still sack him when running integrated astromech, which in my opinion is better than sacking a 4 pt droid.

I understand the sentiment here but I don't think the cost of the droid you use IA on matters. If you didn't eject that 4 point droid it would have been ejected anyways when your ship exploded.

I do look at the one point Astromechs as kind of a "what ability do I want for free, now that I've spent a point for IA". 

it does if you didnt do anything with the droid.

R2D2 for instance would be bad on Biggs because you might get 1 use out of him. Might. Considering hes great on so many other ships, why waste him on biggs?

R4D6 may never trigger, true, but generally if he doesnt Biggs was either not getting hit or evading well anyway which is something you kinda cant depend on. You know the moment you swap him for R2D2 with this thought in mind hes going to get slammed with multiple 4-5 hit attacks lol

edit: really ffg? 5 + hit = bleep? FIVE HIT NOT S*** lol

Edited by Vineheart01

The point of R4D6 is not that he is used all the time, but that he is used during those outlier events that decide games. If Biggs is only taking a maximum of 2 damage per shot, he can pretty reliably get you through an entire round of shooting and probably tank another shot as well. But if you skip R4D6 and take a single 4 damage volley, you will find yourself without protection when you need it most.

I've said it elsewhere, average dice don't decide games. It is the timing of your "good/bad" dice as well as your ability to both take advantage of "good" events as well as mitigate "bad" events that make or break you. Of course, nobody controls all things but a list (like most of the ones I enjoy running, unfortunately) that simply evaporates the first time you have an exceptionally bad roll is not a very good list in the grand scheme of things. All or nothing lists are fun, but won't take you all the way.

Edited by KineticOperator

R2-F2 would be better if you were playing against a swarm.

r2f2 is not better. It's terrible.

Having extra dice mean nothing unless you have a way to back them up through modification. Now your getting into revolving a list around it if you decide to use cracken, or land for example, which is not good. You dont revolve your list around biggs, but biggs revolves around your list. Keeping it alive

Another reason M9-G8 is going to pair well with Biggs with R4-D6. Forcing an opponent to reroll a die only has a 1/4 chance of removing a hit (assuming they've got a focus token or equivalent in their pocket) but it's 80-odd percent good at reducing a critical to a 'normal' hit - which will then allow R4-D6 to trigger.

You aren't gonna modify 6-8 defences with that single focus token.

You probably aren't going to survive being shot 6-8 times. The more people that are shooting biggs in a turn, the better R2-F2 is. R2-F2 'overtakes' a focus token as a better defensive option if 3 or more people are firing on him. But the thing is, that's starting to get to enough attacks that Biggs is dead anyway. It's like Valen Rudor - his ability is awesome in theory but there's only so many times you can be shot at and not explode.