Sign in to follow this  
NeverBetTheFett

Biggs nerfed?

Was Biggs really nerfed? I understand the argument that you can now bypass him with secondary weapon restrictions but doesn’t that just help Biggs to last longer and annoy you late game when those ordinance have been spent? Any veteran X-wing player will tell you that when you see Biggs, you shouldn’t try and keep him out of arc to shoot at something else, you should instead bring every gun you have to bear on him quickly to drop him as fast as possible. You may think your cool when you get a shot that can bypass Biggs ability but for the most part, you need to drop Biggs so you can bring all your guns to bear on other targets consistently without Biggs floating in and out of shots.

Yes, he was nerfed. He was better, now he is worse = nerf.

You can still target him with missiles, if you want to drop him first. Your enemy may make a mistake, but honestly, what kind of argument is it?

"Deadeye toilet seats weren't a problem, I mean if enemy decides to fire each torpedo at a different target I can defeat them with any list".

He can no longer prevent things like homing missiles, on Miranda for example, sniping Airen or Sabine, or a TIE, in the first roumd of combat. Or an alpha strike list deleting Norra, Corran, Poe or Miranda.

I'm not saying it's bad that they nerfed him, maybe he was unbalanced (if so it took them some time to notice that), maybe it will enable them to release ships that aren't glued to Biggs in list building, but c'mon it's clearly a nerf.

How are you getting an alpha strike with enough firepower to drop a Poe, Corran or Nora specifically using a target lock with ships that will have to have a lower PS.  You will maybe get 1 or 2 off but then the ship breaks off and starts regenerating while you now have to deal with Biggs.  The reason ordinance worked in the jumpmaster case was every ordinance fix could be used but, because it only required focus, Biggs would have to be targeted.  It’s a nerf in theory but it does not change the effectiveness of Biggs.  The answer to Biggs has always and will always be shoot him first.  If you would like to waste your shots elsewhere, be my guest.

Corran is pretty easy to drop with 2 torpedoes.  Even one can do it if he blanks out and you get a Direct Hit crit in there (rare, but it happens).  So if my squad is packing a heavy arsenal of torpedoes I think I'd ignore Biggs and take the late game monster out ASAP.

Ever heard about Long Range Scanners?

Yes, actually, I have.  Look at the ships that can take it.  tie bombers and punishers, the K wing…  Any others?  Of course, now you have gotten rid of Guidance chips.  And you only get a focus to modify the dice…  wait, why am I running crappy ordinance?  Jumpmasters worked because they employed every single possible fix to make sure that they roll full hits into their target (I think they had a 92% chance of being full hits).  The Jumps also had a turret which gave them a closing after ordinance was fired off.   When you can build that with another ship, please share with the rest of us.  Ordinance sucked on everything but the jumpmasters and once again it sucks on everything just like it has since wave 1.

Homing missiles do not spend the TL to fire. Thus, TL + Focus + Anti evade token.

Slap crackshot on there with gammavets

They are deadly. If you dont recognize that as deadly, nobody can convince you. If ONE of these can make Soontir crap his pants and flee in terror, multiples will do more. And they do.

Edited by Vineheart01

Homing missiles do not spend the TL to fire. Thus, TL + Focus + Anti evade token.

They are deadly. If you dont recognize that as deadly, nobody can convince you. If ONE of these can make Soontir crap his pants and flee in terror, multiples will do more. And they do.

Speaking of proving LRS's worth, try that on Miranda with a Homing missile. TL + Focus + Anti Evade token + Miranda ability. How would you like a 5 dice homing missile with a very high chance of at least 4 hits????

I've even taken the time to use LRS and Homing Missiles on a Kath using Slave 1 teamed up with Ketsu. Omega Leader NEVER shot because it didn't last the first engagement. 

Edited by RStan

ironically the first tourny i ran the double bomber list in i came across a double kwing list with the exact stinkin' setup aside from no crackshot lol. He had a ywing with autos floating around while i had ryad.

The fact that i had PS5 won that tradeoff, since i blew up a kwing before it could fire and he didnt get critlucky to take one of mine out in response.

ironically the first tourny i ran the double bomber list in i came across a double kwing list with the exact stinkin' setup aside from no crackshot lol. He had a ywing with autos floating around while i had ryad.

The fact that i had PS5 won that tradeoff, since i blew up a kwing before it could fire and he didnt get critlucky to take one of mine out in response.

How have you kitted out Ryad? Since they're all PS 5 is it situational who shoots first if all pointing at a target? Or do you use Ryad to strip tokens for bombers? 

Edited by RStan

Nope, she was LW + SD + x7. My entire mentality was bombers to evaporate the main threat and just outfly everything else. Which worked. Long as she doesnt get tagged when the bombers are too close she is hilariously hard to hurt lol.

Omega Leader, anything with Autoblasters, or Dash are prime targets for the alpha strike because she will have issues with them.

Generally she isnt even a factor in the alpha because i do NOT want her getting shot first. If i can, i'll snail forward with the bombers while she swings wide and fast so i can at least get a range3 shot simo, but i usually dont get it because of a **** rock in the wrong spot preventing a turn

One of the few times i lost with that list handily was when i made that mistake. She was range2 of a bomber and my opponent's xD Delta defender. He fired at her. Lack of LW is what let that ONE DAMAGE go through and i lost a ton of survivability.

Edited by Vineheart01

So you target lock my ship other than Biggs, which proceeds to fly away at a higher PS avoiding your shots entirely while the rest of my squad shoots the hell out of your low agility low primary weapon attack die ships.  Yes, if you get all your ships to fire in one round or at least in consecutive rounds that would be bad for the non-Biggs ship.  If the opponent lets you easily do that, then you have that game in the bag.  Again, It's not that hard to counter fly against that since now my Biggs and (whatever else I paired it with) can move in impervious to your missiles.  The main drawback of target locking a higher PS target is the unpredictability of it's movement.  Again, the advantage of jumpmasters was they could shoot at any target for full effect as long as it was in front of them.  I'm sorry, I'm just not going to shake in my boots at these ordinance lists. 

Also another advantage of the jumpmaster list was it was very hard to drop one before it fired.  All other ordinance carriers, not so much especially when all the opposing ships are higher PS.

Edited by thestggrwng

if you fly away so i cant missile you with my bombers, i still win. Dont act like willingly sending your ship into noman's land is a win, you are now outnumbered.

Yes, i lost homers, but i still have barrelrolling arcdodge potential and bombs. Bombers without bombs is dumb.

I made Soontir do just that with 2x homers from LRS crack bombers. He just fled to the corner of the map and hid. Meanwhile Ryad and the 2 bombers "pathetic" 2die attacks rip Inqy and Palpy to shreds.

Gamma Vet 19pts

Crackshot (1)

EM (2)

Homing Missiles (5)

Proton Bombs (5)

LRS (0)

Gamma Vet 19pts

Crackshot (1)

EM (2)

Homing Missiles (5)

Seismic Charges (2)

LRS (0)

Ryad 34pts

Lone Wolf (2)

Stealth Device (3)

x7 (-2)

Total: 98pts*

Truth it isnt a cureall it actually takes proper planning. Ive lost 3-4 games out of dozens with this list, torpscouts being the only one that gave me major issues (but theys dead now). Its the only list ive consistently ran multiple weeks in a row, as i usually insist on not doing that to keep the game interesting. Ive made the local meta despise LRS because of this list.

It would have issues with a swarm, though nobody ever does that except me. Even went to a moderate sized tourny in Omaha, NE and never faced a swarm.

*edit: noticed i was looking at the experimental list i did which had Thermals on there instead of seismic.

Edited by Vineheart01

Dropping protons for seismic, properly remembering i had thermals on there for 99pts, and upgrading to Tomax is 100pts on the dot so that could be a thing.

Not a bad idea actually. Usually i hold having all same PS in my lists with high value, higher than a little extra offense, but Tomax permacrack is good enough to make me reconsider that

Edited by Vineheart01

Dropping protons for seismic, properly remembering i had thermals on there for 99pts, and upgrading to Tomax is 100pts on the dot so that could be a thing.

Not a bad idea actually. Usually i hold having all same PS in my lists with high value, higher than a little extra offense, but Tomax permacrack is good enough to make me reconsider that

Especially when you're talking about keeping a TL on an ace that's off in a corner and using primary weapons against other stuff with Ryad. That constant Crackshot will do work. 

Gamma Vet 19pts

Crackshot (1)

EM (2)

Homing Missiles (5)

Proton Bombs (5)

LRS (0)

Gamma Vet 19pts

Crackshot (1)

EM (2)

Homing Missiles (5)

Seismic Charges (2)

LRS (0)

Ryad 34pts

Lone Wolf (2)

Stealth Device (3)

x7 (-2)

Total: 98pts*

Truth it isnt a cureall it actually takes proper planning. Ive lost 3-4 games out of dozens with this list, torpscouts being the only one that gave me major issues (but theys dead now). Its the only list ive consistently ran multiple weeks in a row, as i usually insist on not doing that to keep the game interesting. Ive made the local meta despise LRS because of this list.

It would have issues with a swarm, though nobody ever does that except me. Even went to a moderate sized tourny in Omaha, NE and never faced a swarm.

*edit: noticed i was looking at the experimental list i did which had Thermals on there instead of seismic.

Palp Aces shoot for range 1 and arc dodge out of arcs.  highly maneuverable aces can avoid proton bombs easily enough.  Ryad has lone wolf so I assume he's not engaging initially that closely.  Biggs lists will just move up and shoot the gamma and kill it before it fires.  Not only that, wes is stripping tokens off, ryad is still forced to shoot at Biggs.  Your alpha strike in this instance is piddly.  I'm not that nervous about it

Vader "So I was flying this mission against this total rebel noob, I mean one of his pilots never shot anything other than a womp rat before. Of course he had Biggs, which is fine, completely one shotted him. I hit his Wedge once and they guy completely flies him off the map, whatever. Last ship, I had him, really had him, but you know, integrated astromech. Ok, so next round I'll finish him. Then some how, out of no where a Falcon shows up, it's not even on the guys list! Then he fires 3 #$%@ times, kills two of my ships, trackers me and makes me barrow roll right out so nothing is in my firing arc. So I fly off the map, go talk to a judge and his response "Learn To Play". Seriously, WTF. At least I got the points for Biggs"

Vader feels your anger.

Just got an email response from Frank

In response to your rules question:

Rules Question:

If I have a ship with Proton Torpedoes and I have a target lock on a Rookie Pilot next to Biggs, and both Biggs and the Rookie Pilot are at range 3, can I use the proton torpedoes to attack the ship next to Biggs?

Yes. If you chose to use Proton Torpedoes (during step 1.ii of the Timing Chart for Performing an Attack), you cannot declare Biggs as the target of that attack, so his ability has no effect.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
Edited by pcgamerpirate

Thanks Frank!

In all seriousness though he really couldnt say it didnt work that way. The argument on this one is mainly from people that dont look at the wording of the main rulebook, which is a common mistake considering this game is so easy to play you DONT need to read the rules lol just have someone explain the basics and read your cards

Edited by Vineheart01

They only slightly nerfed Biggs... just enough that he won't be too OP when the next FAQ magically fixes T-65s by adding all kinds of BS that was never on the original cards and is only on there to cover up this game's power creep...

Sorry. New FAQs always make me kinda salty. :P 

Thanks Frank!

In all seriousness though he really couldnt say it didnt work that way. The argument on this one is mainly from people that dont look at the wording of the main rulebook, which is a common mistake considering this game is so easy to play you DONT need to read the rules lol just have someone explain the basics and read your cards

To be fair, when I quoted the rulebook rule at them, they countered with "It doesn't apply because the ship doesn't become the defender until the end of the declare target step," which is silly.  Some people were just in denial.