Sign in to follow this  
NeverBetTheFett

Biggs nerfed?

tbh, i dont care how "valuable" a pilot is. If hes so good you MUST use him in every list, nerf him. Even if he technically doesnt need it. Why?

1) Promotes stale listbuilding, as every list as a biggs so everyone treats the list the exact same way: deal with biggs first while trying to dodge whatever he's protecting.

2) Prevents creative list building because everyone is focused on "biggs or die" rather than other defenses, flight patterns, or upgrades.

Hes still potent, he just cant force you to change weapons anymore. Which Ordnance via Targetlocks is the only major loophole there, the rest just makes sense. Always bugged me when i'd watch a ghost with a dorsal turret be forced to fire 3die at biggs rather than 5die at *insert suicidal maniac here* when Biggs was out of arc.

Edited by Vineheart01

tbh, i dont care how "valuable" a pilot is. If hes so good you MUST use him in every list, nerf him. Even if he technically doesnt need it. Why?

1) Promotes stale listbuilding, as every list as a biggs so everyone treats the list the exact same way: deal with biggs first while trying to dodge whatever he's protecting.

2) Prevents creative list building because everyone is focused on "biggs or die" rather than other defenses, flight patterns, or upgrades.

At the same time as they nerfed him they also removed from the game the thing that made people feel like it was "Biggs or die".

Biggs needs to be at range 1 of the ship he's shielding anyway, and outside of a few circumstances I don't see it having that much of an impact. Really all it means is that the player using Biggs needs to fly him more carefully so as not to cross range bands when relevant.

Oddly enough, the U-Boats would have been the most common way to take advantage of this nerf, and they didn't exactly make it through this FAQ unscathed. HLC Scyks may seem like they like it at first, but even with the hull buff, there are plenty of ships that may suffer critical existence failure if they leave any X-Wing at range 1, even if it's "just Biggs".

Edited by FatherTurin

err...I mean it's a change, but I really wouldn't call it a nerf

"

Biggs Darklighter's ability does not trigger
if the attacker chose a weapon
that cannot
target Biggs Darklighter."

there really aren't that many cases in which this would trigger, as you're looking at either a ship with a turret 2ndary using its arc-locked primary (which invariably sucks, see Y HWK and K) or a range limited 2ndary instead of its primary (but Biggs should be behind your other ships and no one uses autoblaster cannon or cluster missiles)

practically speaking, you really should see no change in your Biggs use. He's just as good as he was prior
Edited by ficklegreendice

Ordnance and range caps are the big one.

No more hiding biggs behind your ARCs. If i fire an ATTACK[TARGETLOCK] i cant declare biggs as a target so i flatout ignore him (unless im an idiot and i weaponsengineer him and 1 other) or if i fire a cannon/turret that cant quite reach him i ignore him.

Youre right though that largely hes unimpacted. It just means hes not a cureall +5HP behind 2agi pokemon reference Substitute anymore.

"

that cannot

there really aren't that many cases in which this would trigger, as you're looking at either a ship with a turret 2ndary using its arc-locked primary (which invariably sucks, see Y HWK and K) or a range limited 2ndary instead of its primary (but Biggs should be behind your other ships and no one uses autoblaster cannon or cluster missiles)

practically speaking, you really should see no change in your Biggs use. He's just as good as he was prior

If you target-lock something besides Biggs, then choose to attack with ordinance....

:ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:  

Edited by Boba Rick

Ordnance and range caps are the big one.

No more hiding biggs behind your ARCs. If i fire an ATTACK[TARGETLOCK] i cant declare biggs as a target so i flatout ignore him (unless im an idiot and i weaponsengineer him and 1 other) or if i fire a cannon/turret that cant quite reach him i ignore him.

except most 2ndaries are range 2-3 and the ones that aren't are basically untouched apart from autoblaster turrets (oh the horror against my 1 agi :rolleyes: )

well maybe just prockets and how often do you see those?

"

that cannot

If you target-lock something besides Biggs, then choose to attack with ordinance....

:ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:  

people still target-lock with ordnance :blink: ?

even after the deadeye faq, I don't see this happening

ion turrets

HLC/TLT if biggs is in range1

Clusters/Adv Homing/Adv Protons are not range3 capable, though they need a TL anyway.

You already mentioned autoblasters.

I use bombers with LRS all the time and it gets hilarious results because everyone thinks it sucks balls and is easily avoided....its not. Ive had ONE GAME out of dozens where someone actually dodged my bombers entirely, and that was because i deployed as far forward as i could against defenders (1fwd for mex2 + 5fwd for themx2 = hes right in my face, too close, if i was against the board edge i would have been fine)

Edited by Vineheart01

ion turrets

HLC/TLT if biggs is in range1

Clusters/Adv Homing/Adv Protons are not range3 capable, though they need a TL anyway.

You already mentioned autoblasters.

I use bombers with LRS all the time and it gets hilarious results because everyone thinks it sucks balls and is easily avoided....its not. Ive had ONE GAME out of dozens where someone actually dodged my bombers entirely, and that was because i deployed as far forward as i could against defenders (1fwd for mex2 + 5fwd for themx2 = hes right in my face, too close, if i was against the board edge i would have been fine)

no one uses ion turrets

if Biggs is at range 1 and your other guys aren't, you dun goofed (your guys should be at range 1! and biggs further away so he doesn't get range 1 primaried)

no one uses clusters/adv protons/adv homing due to targeting restriction and horrible difficult in finding pilots to synergize with them. Clusters are basically n'dru (rare) and vessery Tie/D (which no one bothers with; even Tie/D variants just slap on a cannon)

and again, autoblasters are 2 dice. If biggs is forcing that, he's doing an amazing job. Even HWKs don't see a net gain of dice there

just imagine: either Biggs eats a ghost primary or your 9 health ARC takes 1/2 damage. Not exactly difficult to see the benefits there

I wish more people knew about bombers not being terrible, but idk they seem doomed to a life of obscurity :(

Edited by ficklegreendice

I think it's great actually, and much more logical and thematic. Biggs isn't nerfed, just made slightly more normal. I love my X-squads, never ran Biggs because I find others more fun. However, now I can decapitate what I want from my buddies list who always brings stinking Biggs (I say that just because he's my friend's crutch) with a go-to like: Thomax, Homing Missiles, Long Range Scanners, Extra Munitions, and Crackshot. Fun!

1EC5FA75-9C63-4F53-B9E0-682DEAA4B7E1.png

rofl yeah theres him too.

My Homing Missiles are 1-2...not 2-3... *flips the bird* nenernenerneeeenerrrrr lol

Honestly i never use him because aside from Tomax shenanigans in the shuttle (which are more fun than competitive) i feel like anything beyond GammaVets is too expensive. Theyre already 29pts with a seismic bomb, em, homers, lrs, and crackshot.

Edited by Vineheart01

My Homing Missiles are 1-2...not 2-3... *flips the bird* nenernenerneeeenerrrrr lol

Honestly i never use him because aside from Tomax shenanigans in the shuttle (which are more fun than competitive) i feel like anything beyond GammaVets is too expensive. Theyre already 29pts with a seismic bomb, em, homers, lrs, and crackshot.

you're thinking of rhymer

ergo (not joking) the single most overcosted pilot in the game

Yeah, but something I just so like about that build. I played yesterday with him, the Inquisitor and Ryad against a Rebel list with a K-Wing, Poe and a Z-98 and Tomax did the majority of damage, and save 1 shield shot down by the Inquisitor, two turned the K-Wing by himself and only let her get off one proximity mine. He was a beast.

Also forgot to mention

We're getting another viable t65 in the form of m9g8 Tarn

Dude's a beastly little bugger

Same cost as r4d6 biggs

Coincidence?

Fly him in front of the pack with a focus token and some Plasma Torps and dare them to shoot at you!

I think it's good. Opens up so much more design space. And I'm guessing this means we're getting an X-Wing fix soon, since Biggs likely cramped a lot of the options they had -- it's hard to design something that'll help guys like Garven without overpowering Biggles.

I don't see the Biggs change making that much difference... The only practical change is that it doesn't (in most cases) lock you out of firing the weapon you want.

I would add though that the faq as worded probably will still prevent the firing of most ordnance at non-Biggs targets (even if the target lock is on the other ship).

Reason: Biggs is still a viable target for the ordnance, you just can't pay the required costs to execute the attack (target lock on the wrong ship).

I would possibly want to get official confirmation on that, but that's how I see the faq as written, and as far as that goes it makes very sensible changes to the operation of Biggs without removing his usefulness.

Biggs is NOT a viable target for the ordnance.

JjX4sIF.png

You MUST have a targetlock on the target to declare them as a target. Biggs does not have a targetlock on him so you cannot declare him as a target.

Deadeye/Focus ordnance on the other hand are free game for Biggs to mess up.

Paying the cost is after declaring the target. You declare a target, which must have a targetlock, then you spend the targetlock, then they become the defender (to dodge aggromech)

Edited by Vineheart01

I don't see the Biggs change making that much difference... The only practical change is that it doesn't (in most cases) lock you out of firing the weapon you want.

I would add though that the faq as worded probably will still prevent the firing of most ordnance at non-Biggs targets (even if the target lock is on the other ship).

Reason: Biggs is still a viable target for the ordnance, you just can't pay the required costs to execute the attack (target lock on the wrong ship).

Even if that were the case, it's covered under the rules. 

RRG, page 4:
• If there is no valid target for the chosen weapon,
or if the attacker cannot pay any costs required
for the attack, the attacker may choose a
different weapon and target.