Sign in to follow this  
Rakaydos

I know what the Ewing needs. (and it's not an anti-corran astromech)

The biggest problem with the Ewing is the same as the Tie Intercepter has- Arcdodger effectiveness drops off dramatically with pilot skill, (and dramatically so after losing the EPT slot) but the price doesnt drop off nearly as fast. The only "good" intercepters are Soontier Fell, Turr Phenere, and Carnor Jax, with only Tetrn Cowall and RGP even in spitting distance.

So most fixes have been focusing on making everyone EXCEPT corran great in some other way, bending over backward to avoid a Advance Fix Vader situation, where the fix only makes the monobuild more monobuild.

Noone is looking at the OTHER intercepter build. The Alphas+Intel Agent Shuttle.

Now clearly, carrying an ORS around with a couple Ewings isnt going to work. But the important part of that build is the Intel Agent. Intel agent helps lower PS react to higher PS- it actually helps PS1 ships more than PS8, because the PS1 can block.

Tactical Sensors: System, Ewing only, 0 points,

At the start of the activation phase, choose 1 enemy ship in range 1-2. You may look at the chosen ship's maneuver.

The generics use it to block everything. Etan uses it to set up the bandit or prototype swarm he's using his ability on. But Corran only uses it against the like of Soontier, Vader, and Whisper.

Now, even at the best case, you're still wasting a 27 point ship as a blocker. The Ship still needs a regular fix after this system. But it levels out the PS gap, so the fix doesnt have to specifically exclude corran.

At the start of the activation phase, choose 1 enemy ship in range 1-2. You may look at the chosen ship's maneuver.

The generics use it to block everything. Etan uses it to set up the bandit or prototype swarm he's using his ability on. But Corran only uses it against the like of Soontier, Vader, and Whisper.

Considering a generic can only reposition via a barrel roll and then dies because it has no dice mods, I don't think it would ever be taken. Corran MIGHT, but I think he prefers FCS.

Considering a generic can only reposition via a barrel roll and then dies because it has no dice mods, I don't think it would ever be taken. Corran MIGHT, but I think he prefers FCS.

So a second part to this fix should be to increase the Ewing's reactive maneuverability and/or naked survivability when it's not using R2D2.

Maybe if it was -2 or -3 points instead of 0 . . .

But Intelligence Agent really just . . . isn't that good. I like it on K-Wings with bombs and Sabine. That's about it. The rest of the time, it's too situational to really make it competitive. If I really want a blocker, I'm going to bring something that will actually be vaguely efficient, like an A-Wing. And honestly, the E-Wing isn't really an arc-dodger; it's a zippy jouster. What it needs is to be efficient.

I'd move it to a different slot than Systems; the E-wings are really going to need FCS if they're re-positioning all the time.

I really wish FFG was more open to changing point costs via errata. There isn't really anything wrong with the E-wing other than the price. Dropping the price of all E-wings except Corran by ~4 points would basically solve the problem.

So a second part to this fix should be to increase the Ewing's reactive maneuverability and/or naked survivability when it's not using R2D2.

Of this fix? Make it minus points. Seeing a dial is only good if you can alter your own dial - which is why Whisper, Ks and Hera are about the only thing that use it. 

Maybe allowing them to change their dial to a move of the same speed? That would be a little more powerful.

I'd move it to a different slot than Systems; the E-wings are really going to need FCS if they're re-positioning all the time.

I really wish FFG was more open to changing point costs via errata. There isn't really anything wrong with the E-wing other than the price. Dropping the price of all E-wings except Corran by ~4 points would basically solve the problem.

I've gotta stop you right there, I really don't like that idea and actually Love that FFG doesn't change stuff via errata. It's one of the reason I started playing X-Wing and would stop if they ever pulled crap like that. If your curious as to why it's a HORRIBLE idea play Warhammer 40k for a couple years waste tons of time and money and irritation at power creep by rule changes and you'll understand.

The problem with releasing Ewing only cards or a new Astromech etc is that it has to be balanced for any future changes, and all other ships that can take.

Titles that fix ships are a massive waste of potential cool named ships down the track.

The easiest fix that doesn't tread on anything else's toes now or in the future is to give them a point reduction.

The biggest problem with the Ewing is the same as the Tie Intercepter has- Arcdodger effectiveness drops off dramatically with pilot skill, (and dramatically so after losing the EPT slot) but the price doesnt drop off nearly as fast. The only "good" intercepters are Soontier Fell, Turr Phenere, and Carnor Jax, with only Tetrn Cowall and RGP even in spitting distance.

So most fixes have been focusing on making everyone EXCEPT corran great in some other way, bending over backward to avoid a Advance Fix Vader situation, where the fix only makes the monobuild more monobuild.

Noone is looking at the OTHER intercepter build. The Alphas+Intel Agent Shuttle.

Now clearly, carrying an ORS around with a couple Ewings isnt going to work. But the important part of that build is the Intel Agent. Intel agent helps lower PS react to higher PS- it actually helps PS1 ships more than PS8, because the PS1 can block.

Now, even at the best case, you're still wasting a 27 point ship as a blocker. The Ship still needs a regular fix after this system. But it levels out the PS gap, so the fix doesnt have to specifically exclude corran.

You are so very **** smart! FFG should issue a battle of (fill in some system/planet named blank) set that has E-wing and Interceptor generic card upgrades and two new ships with paint mods. That would be trick!

Disclaimer:

I am going on record as being wholeheartedly against any E-wing "fix" that takes up the astromech slot.  It removes any chance of using future astromechs.  It's the only ship in the game with the combo, and it would be stupid to take it away.

I really don't give a rat's behind what people think of Corran + R2D2, because that combo isn't now and has never been "broken," despite what people say on forums.  Fun to play against?  Probably not.  Broken?  NO.  Remember, folks:  part of what makes Corran + R2D2 strong is that he's expensive​.  If you make him cheaper, then suddenly he can't run away at the end of games.

That said, I like the system slot idea you have there.  I'm sure they're trying to think of something creative and thematic that isn't just a copy of another ship's "fix" (i.e. TIE Adv, TIE/D, A-wing).  I'm just tired of hearing people try to take away the astromech, because I'm sure FFG doesn't want to do that.

Edited by quasistellar

Disclaimer:

I am going on record as being wholeheartedly against any E-wing "fix" that takes up the astromech slot. It removes any chance of using future astromechs. It's the only ship in the game with the combo, and it would be stupid to take it away.

I really don't give a rat's behind what people think of Corran + R2D2, because that combo isn't now and has never been "broken," despite what people say on forums. Fun to play against? Probably not. Broken? NO. Remember, folks: part of what makes Corran + R2D2 strong is that he's expensive​. If you make him cheaper, then suddenly he can't run away at the end of games.

That said, I like the system slot idea you have there. I'm sure they're trying to think of something creative and thematic that isn't just a copy of another ship's "fix" (i.e. TIE Adv, TIE/D, A-wing). I'm just tired of hearing people try to take away the astromech, because I'm sure FFG doesn't want to do that.

I think the astro might be the way to fix the E without touching Corran. Corran will almost always take the regen because he needs it, the rest of the ships on the other hand probably would love an astromech that "fixes" their problems. The challenge there is not making it help the Ys and Xs as well (although an E wing only Astro is perfectly fine to me)

Edit: just off the top of my head: R9 astromech (insert price) e wing only

Systems are 3 points cheaper to a min of 0.

Corran wouldn't take that but a free fcs on the others would be cool. This won't happen though as it's too close to the Tie Adv fix

Edited by Spaceman91

i dont get why people are so hell-bent on buffing the ewing and not corran.

i get that hes more powerful than the others. Hes still a pile of crap. Literally never seen him be a problem, and i used to see him quite a bit until wave8 dropped.

Anyway, OP: An interesting idea, not sure if anyone would bother with it though as it is. Thats still an expensive blocker that isnt terribly hard to remove. Maybe tack on "If you do this, you may perform a free barrelroll before revealing  your dial" and make it cost 1pt? a pre-move barrelroll could set up blocks way more than just knowing their move.

In my opinion, like the Y-Wing, the E-Wing could use a few more unique pilots to add some flavour.

The only possible, very slight, just maybe, perhaps, a little bit, could an overall point reduction be applied (such as x/7). But I don't honestly know how I feel about that. Any more aces that are introduced in the E-Wing would likely range in the 32-35 point range. There again, sensor slots and EPT's make all the difference.