Sign in to follow this  
biohunter21

Who is interested in Star wars: Destiny?

I am just wondering.... How many plan to look in to destiny at least a little? Just trying to see how many might be interested. And, if you are near Northern new jersey, Highlander games and comics is holding a pre-release......

Isn't the Destiny forum the place to ask this?

Based on the activity on its forum it seems some people are interested but I'd wager the majority on the rest of the forums buy FFG stuff in the first place at least partly because it doesn't use the blind buy model.

Captain Phasma and Count Dooku battle Han Solo and Luke Skywalker in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Jango Fett and Jabba the Hutt attack Rey and Finn as they pass through the frozen wastes of Starkiller Base.

Definitely not. The description alone makes me heave haha.

I like my Star Wars games a little more… believable. Not saying IA doesn’t require stretches of imagination but the what if narratives in the campaign are grounded quite well in my opinion.

Plus I’m already knee deep in X-wing and IA.

Regardless, it’s a good time to be a Star Wars fan! 

Yea collectible just doesn't seem appealing to me, I like to research what I am buying ahead of time. They are already feeding on our completionist addictions, the random collectible booster packs just seems like pure evil. "Come on kids, just buy one more pack, you know you waannnnnnnaaa!"

I have no interest in random pack games anymore. i wasted too much money on Star Wars Miniatures boosters packs.  I was very happy with the FFG decided to do their miniatures game.  

This.  Screw random pack nonsense.

They lost me at collectible.

Yep.  Magic: The Gathering soured me on the concept (got in around Ice Age, got out around Mirage); "collectible" is now a four-letter word for me.  --I do hope it does -reasonably- well (but IA must take off before Destiny does! ; ).

It could be the bestest game ever designed and a sheer delight to play, and I will still never even look at it.

No interest in this game what so ever. I have already purchased my last ship for x-wing. I only need to finish the endor series for the LCG and I am stopping with it. Only going to support Doom and IA and will only get them when they go on sale at CSI or MM. Not supporting another card game when I am not supporting the LCG. I figure that Doom will only have any where between one to three expansions for it. So that won't take long to finish. IA is the only one that can go the distance with expansions for it. I have neglected other games on my list. Dominion, Ascension and others. So for me SW: Destiny is a pass big time.

I AM interested!  It looks to be well-designed and a lot of fun to play.

However, I will collect it the same way that I've collected Dice Masters (the 2 games are not the same, but they do have some similarities).  That is, for Dice Masters I only bought the Starter Set and a single Gravity Feed of the sets that interested me (ie, the first 4 Marvel sets, as well as both D&D sets...DC and Pokemon are meh to me)...and even for those sets that I did buy, I didn't worry about the "super rares" or "chase rares" or anything like that...whatever I pulled is what I got.

My whole family plays Dice Masters together...we have a full 6-person, round-robin tournament every once in a while, and it's a blast!  We just play with what we have.  I've found decent scans of the cards that I don't have, and so I've printed those on cardstock and that allows us access to all the cards...we obviously couldn't use them for any official tournament, but it's fine for playing at home.  We're probably done collecting Dice Masters at this point (our last Dice Masters purchase was the 2nd D&D set about a year ago), but with a total of 6 sets in our game cupboard, we have all sorts of squads waiting to be discovered and built and optimized.

I'm planning to approach SW Destiny in the same way: for each set I'll buy the starter, along with a certain amount of boosters (perhaps a sealed booster box of some sort, depending on cost).  I really don't care about the super-rares...I'll probably just find a way to print those cards at home, just as I did for Dice Masters.  

Imperial Assault is and will always be my main game, but I think Destiny will be a lot of fun too.  

I'm in without a doubt. I may not go full on collection of every card as I did with the old WotC minis, but will definitely be getting into Destiny. I like the collectible aspect of opening up a blind pack now and again. I will be getting the starters and al least one box of boosters. I don't plan to do much with organized play or tournament action though, just playing around the house so won't feel the need to chase the super rares.

Star Wars Destiny looks stupid.

Dicemasters - D&D is great and scratches my collectible dice game itch.

Destiny is a cheap knock off of dicemasters and just a stupid money grab.

I have gone ALL in on Armada, X wing and Imperial Assault but there is no way in hell I will buy any Star Wars Destiny.

I'm cautiously optimistic. 

There's aspects that I like about the CCG model and aspects that I hate. 

I think the game looks amazingly fun. It has some super interesting elements and appears to play at a good pace. 
When I first saw it I thought it looked silly, but when I read more and watched more videos I fell in love with the rules. 

Locally it seems to be getting lots of people interested which is the other main driver. If you have no one to play with/against, then it doesn't matter how awesome the game is. 
If there's a good local community, then I can justify spending money on it. 

I'm not a lore snob so the different time periods and dead characters etc don't bother me. It's a game not an accurate roleplaying representation of the universe. 
No one complains that X-wing has dead pilots and people from different time periods. IA players seem to be the only ones concerned about that which I guess comes from the campaign mode. It makes sense there since that's partially role playing. 

But I digress. 

Time will tell how bad the CCG aspect of this game is. If it becomes heavily 'pay to win' or they start dropping new sets every month then I'm out. 
Only needing a max of 2 of each card and a smaller deck size than other card games could have the potential for a lower investment. 

I will be buying in with a few starer boxes and some boosters.... after that, it will depend on the game play and the local community.  

TLDR; I'm loving everything about this game but the CCG aspect could kill it for me. 

I'm wary because of the CCG element. 

Although I think a lot of people (including in this thread...) have some poorly informed assumptions about the quality of the game - or it being a cynical money grab/dicemasters clone

It looks to me an excellent game and FFG have surely got a brilliant track record by now?

I'll probably buy the starter sets, enough boosters to make some decks here and there and then trade it all away 6 months later if I'm honest. The game may well be excellent, but I won't play it often enough to justify it's existence in my collection and it'll be too expensive to get the cards - plus there'll be set after set of cards...

Do I need another SW game? (I've already got tons of X-Wing/IA/Armada + Rebellion + SW:Risk) 

The only thing it seems to offer to me is a very light, quick and accessible SW game - as much as I love all of the above games, they are sometimes tiresome to set up and put away and there's something very attractive about being to grab a few deck boxes and get playing immediately. 

If my kids were older than 5 and 2 then I would definitely be buying starters and a booster box - just to have the excitement of a super accessible SW game and the packs and dice etc - but alas they're too young. I've consider doing that and just leaving it in a cupboard or something but that seems a bit silly

It's a game not an accurate roleplaying representation of the universe. 

No one complains that X-wing has dead pilots and people from different time periods. IA players seem to be the only ones concerned about that which I guess comes from the campaign mode. It makes sense there since that's partially role playing.

This is because X-wing simulates the dog fighting nature of space battles quite well. Similarly, IA nails the ground combat. As I mentioned, there will all always be stretches (time periods, why can’t Vader kill heroes with one force choke, etc.) but the mechanics are representative of the nature of Star Wars where Destiny is just a smorgasbord of Star Wars things clashing together. 

Not an argument of how to properly have fun in a game, just one opinion of why Destiny is particularly unappealing. 

Destiny looks okay.  To be honest, the combat seems almost kind of similar to IA, outside of positioning and such.  It's simplified, for sure, but whatever.

As far as canonicity- I'm pretty sure the developers are well aware of the crazy combinations that can happen with this game. In fact, that's probably going to be a draw for some people.  I see this as almost being a board game version of Super Smash Bros for Star Wars fans.   I mean, I think a fight between Kylo Ren and Cad Bane vs. Ben Kenobi and Wedge Antilles sounds absolutely ridiculous- and now, I also want to see how it would end!  

My only holdup with this game, as many have mentioned previously, is the CCG aspect of it.  I just don't think it will have the stopping power it needs to really thrive in that environment.  Make it an LCG and I'll be much more interested.