Jegergryte

New adventure! Ghosts of Dathomir

It seems very powerful, to conjure something using the force, its very High Fantasy and less Space Opera (IMHO obviously). To me it feels beyond or outside of what Star Wars is in the FFG system. Bags of holding exist in settings where Magic is common, safe and powerful.

But we have Move, with all its Force Unleashed glory, so I guess it's possible.

Edit: I don't see how it fits into the core Morality focus of FaD.

Edited by Richardbuxton

When I wrote up stats for the spin 'sabers, I made it an attachment to a double-bladed that adds Resist Disarm (because of the hand guard) as an innate tashkent, with a 2x modifications that allow you to spend a maneuver and suffer 2 strain to add Linked 1 to an attack.

So the spinny 'saber and a crystal is all you get for a double-bladed, and you can potentially increase your linked by up to 2, at a worse cost than Saber Swarm. Seemed to fit...

Except that from what we see in the series, that hand guard doesn't really help all that much in avoiding being disarmed.  And since a double-bladed 'saber already has Linked 1, adding more ranks of Linked just makes it a munchkin weapon, and saying "add Linked 1" to a weapon that already has Linked 1 is redundant.

If anything, I wouldn't expect much more than maybe a rank of Defensive to help counter incoming attacks, with maybe a rank of Deflection to account for the spinning blade making it easier to intercept incoming blaster fire.  Of course, the problem is that if you give it too many various mechanical boosts over the traditional double-bladed lightsaber, you've got the power-gamer players that are going to want this thing.

Thus, my positing that for simplicity's sake, best to just leave it as a regular double-bladed lightsaber, and that everything else is reliant upon the skill of the Inquisitor using it.

If anything, I wouldn't expect much more than maybe a rank of Defensive to help counter incoming attacks, with maybe a rank of Deflection to account for the spinning blade making it easier to intercept incoming blaster fire.  Of course, the problem is that if you give it too many various mechanical boosts over the traditional double-bladed lightsaber, you've got the power-gamer players that are going to want this thing.

I could see something like a flightsaber (I cannot unhear that name now) giving the user a boost or advantage in Coercion checks. I mean, the thing was also meant to cow a lesser opponent.

So, a Zabrak in beast armour with a spinsaber ... 3 automatic advantages to Coercion. :ph34r:

Instead you could have it interact with Fearsome (I believe), by adding an upgrade to the fear check ... or a setback die.

I'm not against the idea of built-in dual-phase effect, that is ignore defence once per encounter. Reduce HP on the thing to 3 or 2 ... and there you go. It does one thing, which is useful for lesser force users like inquisitors (compared to Jedi and Sith that is) and not much more... but I tend to agree with Dono, it shouldn't be that special ... but should you slap on unwieldy 4, I'd give it something else than "just" Linked 1 :ph34r:

Edited by Jegergryte

I'm fine with the spin sabers as long as you can't fly with em.

Yes, i think it would best for everyone if we pretend that this "thing" never happened.

On the upside, it was specified by the producers that the Inquisitors were only able to do that due to Malachor being heavily infused with the dark side, and that they wouldn't be able to do such a trick elsewhere in the galaxy.

I'm fine with the spin sabers as long as you can't fly with em.

Is there an official canon explanation as to how that was done? If you ask me, potenitally that oversized hilt could take a modification such as a mini repulsorlift (if a tiny object like a training remote can hover, no reason this couldn't be modified to do the same).

Looking forward to see how FFG handles the question, if at all?

So excited for Dathomiri magic.

On the upside, it was specified by the producers that the Inquisitors were only able to do that due to Malachor being heavily infused with the dark side, and that they wouldn't be able to do such a trick elsewhere in the galaxy.

It was? Thank groodness! I was really not wanting to come up with an explanation for that ability in my...anything, really. Nor was I happy with the fact that the inquisitors didn't use that ability before. But if it requires a powerful dark vergeance to work, at least that limits its scope a whole heck of a lot...

Just don't go to Byss. 'Sabercopters. 'Sabercopters EVERYWHERE. O_O

The simple feature for this spinning double saber could be :

If you use this spin-saber JUST for defense this turn you may make the blades spin, wich grants you +1 rank in the talent "Reflect". This shouldn't be too overpowered as you can't attack the same turn, that's a defensive move, we can see the Inquisitors using it in the show, that would grant them a little more survavibility and would help them to escape a fight they are about to loose

SO EXCITED !!! 

Seeing as the picture right next to the mention of a new force power is a night brother with a glowing staff i think the new power would be something like an "imbue item" or telemency (if that's how it's called).

This way they can still make a power useful but not OP and it is similar to other powers we got (accomplishing different niches via magic).

I would love though if we had a transformation type of power like they mention that some Night sisters amulets perform. This will tie in with the Hermit and the Seeker career very well.

They might even make a power of "summon monster", seeing as we are in Dathomir and it is teeming with life... 

But this is going to be great and hopefully they will address and make other philosophies of the force part of their adventure in a meaningful way.

It seems very powerful, to conjure something using the force, its very High Fantasy and less Space Opera (IMHO obviously). To me it feels beyond or outside of what Star Wars is in the FFG system. Bags of holding exist in settings where Magic is common, safe and powerful.

Mother Talzin did this all the time in TCW. Heck, she even created even Cybernetics for Maul and Savage Opress that way (some raw material was used in those cases). And that was referenced in Rebels as well, so it does not seem at all that Disney would mind. Speaking of Rebels, you might want to check the latest Rebels episodes to get a grasp about how literal "Ghosts of Dathomir" might be. ;-)

Mother Talzin did this all the time in TCW. Heck, she even created even Cybernetics for Maul and Savage Opress that way (some raw material was used in those cases). And that was referenced in Rebels as well, so it does not seem at all that Disney would mind. Speaking of Rebels, you might want to check the latest Rebels episodes to get a grasp about how literal "Ghosts of Dathomir" might be. ;-)

That episode was kind of annoying but paves the way for there to be Dark Side ghosts... I recall it being declared canon that only Jedi got to be ghosts and they had to undertake training while alive/be the chosen one. Guess that's out the window.

Also, looking at the most recent article for "Ghosts of Dathomir", the new power might have something to do with this line:

"Once home to the Nardithi clan of Nightsisters, rumored to amplify their powers through death and sacrifice..."

That episode was kind of annoying but paves the way for there to be Dark Side ghosts... I recall it being declared canon that only Jedi got to be ghosts and they had to undertake training while alive/be the chosen one. Guess that's out the window.

Also, looking at the most recent article for "Ghosts of Dathomir", the new power might have something to do with this line:

"Once home to the Nardithi clan of Nightsisters, rumored to amplify their powers through death and sacrifice..."

Yoda learned this technique directly involving sith phantoms and darth bane in the season 5 final of TCW. ;-)

So I really don't know how you come to the conclusion that the jedi way is the only way. The sith, the jedi, the banu, the dagoyan and the nightsisters all follow different force traditions. All using different aspects of the same universal force. Plenty of room for different kinds of force ghosts and phantoms.

Edited by SEApocalypse

Yoda learned this technique directly involving sith phantoms and darth bane in the season 5 final of TCW. ;-)

So I really don't know how you come to the conclusion that the jedi way is the only way. The sith, the jedi, the banu, the dagoyan and the nightsisters all follow different force traditions. All using different aspects of the same universal force. Plenty of room for different kinds of force ghosts and phantoms.

Because it was explicitly stated, by the people that make Star Wars, that Darth Bane was an illusion of the dark side and yoda's own mind and that only Jedi/light side users get to become ghosts in the canon.

*edit* Yoda's himself says that Bane was only an illusion in the episode.

Edited by GroggyGolem

That episode was kind of annoying but paves the way for there to be Dark Side ghosts... I recall it being declared canon that only Jedi got to be ghosts and they had to undertake training while alive/be the chosen one. Guess that's out the window.Also, looking at the most recent article for "Ghosts of Dathomir", the new power might have something to do with this line:"Once home to the Nardithi clan of Nightsisters, rumored to amplify their powers through death and sacrifice..."
Yoda learned this technique directly involving sith phantoms and darth bane in the season 5 final of TCW. ;-)So I really don't know how you come to the conclusion that the jedi way is the only way. The sith, the jedi, the banu, the dagoyan and the nightsisters all follow different force traditions. All using different aspects of the same universal force. Plenty of room for different kinds of force ghosts and phantoms.
Because it was explicitly stated, by the people that make Star Wars, that Darth Bane was an illusion of the dark side and yoda's own mind and that only Jedi/light side users get to become ghosts in the canon.*edit* Yoda's himself says that Bane was only an illusion in the episode.
But, is Yoda a reliable source on this subject given his biases about the force and its nature?

The Jedi believe that the dark side is a perversion of the force, that doesn't necessarily make it true. Their stance would obviously lead a Jedi to believe that a dark sider cannot become a force ghost, only an illusion. Although the concept of eternal life through the force is a bit antithetical to Jedi dogma as well.

The latest episode of rebels backs this up pretty well.

Edited by ghatt

FFG lays it out pretty clearly; the light is a path to the afterlife, the dark side can only conjure up specters. Darth Bane and the grand inquisitor were no more real than Vader in the dark side cave.

The nightsisters on the other hand may have been actual spirits. Their use of the force is unique because of their planet.

But, is Yoda a reliable source on this subject given his biases about the force and its nature?

The Jedi believe that the dark side is a perversion of the force, that doesn't necessarily make it true. Their stance would obviously lead a Jedi to believe that a dark sider cannot become a force ghost, only an illusion. Although the concept of eternal life through the force is a bit antithetical to Jedi dogma as well.

The latest episode of rebels backs this up pretty well.

Whether or not Yoda is considered a reliable source this is the position that the people who make Star Wars has taken. It's not so much an issue of this being just what characters say but also what the producers who make Star Wars say too. So in the official canon only Jedi can become Force spirits. Sith are just manifestations of the Dark side itself. Until such time as the people who make Star Wars deem otherwise, that's how it works.

Now if you want to run it differently for your games that's fine. But the official stance is only Jedi can become Force spirits.