Sign in to follow this  
grillepainman

Why the useless base?

Hi all,

Big fan of Mom 2nd ed! :)

But I keep reading everywhere that the bases for monsters are useless...so why do we have them? There's even little pins in the back of the base (that I use to put the logos to differentiates monster of the same group) but still...

It might be too late for me to throw them out since i've already glued eveything in place (main + both expansion) but still...why provide those super big base for no use?

Do you thing it might be useful somewhere down the road? 

For example: I could easily see a monster picking up an item / spawning with the item already (placing the card at the back of the base with the little pins) preventing any investigators to pick it up before killing it

Sorry for bad english, not my 1st language.

Thank you :)

I'm torn at the moment, I love the figures, but the bases are so large... They're large so they can hold both the monster token, and the ID token (in the little pegs at the back), but I wonder if it wouldn't have been better if the monster stats were elsewhere (like the APP), and the monster on the board was a miniature like the heroes.

Last game I played, I used only the tokens. I might switch when I have a proper storage solution so the monsters can stay in their bases (currently they're all lumped together in one of the expansion boxes. I heard you could use them for Eldrith Horror, but I can't imagine those huge bases working there, especially if you have 5 monsters spawned at a portal?

Hi all,

Big fan of Mom 2nd ed! :)

But I keep reading everywhere that the bases for monsters are useless...so why do we have them? There's even little pins in the back of the base (that I use to put the logos to differentiates monster of the same group) but still...

It might be too late for me to throw them out since i've already glued eveything in place (main + both expansion) but still...why provide those super big base for no use?

Do you thing it might be useful somewhere down the road? 

For example: I could easily see a monster picking up an item / spawning with the item already (placing the card at the back of the base with the little pins) preventing any investigators to pick it up before killing it

Sorry for bad english, not my 1st language.

Thank you :)

The bases have a storied history and purpose (not the LONGEST story, but you get the picture) ;)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2012/1/18/harbingers-of-doom/

The plus side to this is you can buy the premium figures and use them in a couple of different games or you can paint a full set and use them in a couple of different games. I personally like the idea that one can get so much use out of these figures.

I don't like the figures or the bases, I get its a legacy issue but I expect better of FFG now.

I'm backing another lovecraftian game on KS which has the plastic circles that slot onto the bottom of a standard base, with a little clip on the side where you can attach a token. I wish FFG had taken a similar minimalist approach with the MoM reboot.

I like the fact the bases mean you can use the minis in:

MoM1

MoM2

Arkham Horror

Eldritch Horror

And maybe others?

Its great to have the multi use aspect.

But, I dont like the appearance and size of the bases. Too clunky.

Glad they didnt redesign and break the multi use continuity though :)

I have bigger issues with the quality of the minis than the bases. The bases I can deal with and actually afford some opportunities for customization versus the small bases we get with most minis. I just wish that the quality of the miniatures on the base was on par with their other games.

MoM1

MoM2

Arkham Horror

Eldritch Horror

And maybe others?

Elder Sign, the investigator pieces can be used as location tokens.

MoM1

MoM2

Arkham Horror

Eldritch Horror

And maybe others?

Elder Sign, the investigator pieces can be used as location tokens.

Good point though in fairness the square bases dont affect that. Its mainly the games that utilise inputting the monster tiles into the square base that are affected.

I do know many people re-base the minis and just use the monster squares as reference cards though :)

I do know many people re-base the minis and just use the monster squares as reference cards though :)

Or sometimes just buy alternative minis.

There is a fan project on the EH forum to replace the monster tokens with a deck of cards, which look awesome.

I hope when that is done there is a similar project for MoM.

The bases have a storied history and purpose (not the LONGEST story, but you get the picture) ;)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2012/1/18/harbingers-of-doom/

Thank you for this link, now at least, I can understand why; it's in theory a very good, pratical and wise concept I think, but maybe the base are still a little too big / clunky for the concept? 

Especiaaly since the space to insert the cardboard is very tight but still

Thanks a lot for the link :)

I recently acquired MoM2 and Recurring Nightmares.  I love the look and feel of the game, I am disappointed with the miniatures.  Many have misshapen pegs that don't fit snugly into the stands.  The larger figures, especially the star spawn, seem to have been mushed during transport.  I plan to use a hobby knife and some hot/cold water to try to make things better.

The bases themselves seem to have quality control issues.  The chits barely fit into some bases, while keep sliding out of other bases.

Reading threads here and over on BoardGameGeek, these seem to be common issues.  I will either just play with the chits sans figures or glue the figures onto other, more manageable stands.  The former solution wastes some of the price tag for the game (i.e. no minis), while the latter requires me to spend more to make better use of the figures.

It is sad that a game with such a hefty price tag comes with subpar minis and stands.  I am used to (spoiled by) other FFG minis games like Imperial Assault, Descent, and X-Wing.  Hopefully the money went to making sure the app is excellent.  

As much as I enjoy the gameplay, I won't spend another cent on this game line unless they fix the bases, which as of this moment don't have a problem as far as FFG is concerned...

everyone is pretty on the same page regarding the horrible mini quality / misplaced peg; its a very popular opinion on the forums (here and on BBG for example) and if FFG Staff are looking in the forum I'm pretty sure they are aware of it; but still, if you set that aside (and it may be just because those are just reprint of 1st ed) MoM 2ed is still an amazing and truly good game that is worth our time and love I think...

I think the mini issue most likely is a result of re-using molds from 1st ed

As to the bases, considering this base type covers so many different games, I cannot see them altering it as it could impact the other games people have collected. I think the multi-game bases idea is great but the design of them in reality left a lot to be desired, but changing it now would have too many effects for FFG to consider it.

Many people who are really opposed to the bases just buy laser-cut clear acrylic smaller alternatives via ebay and carry on enjoying the game

As to the bases, considering this base type covers so many different games, I cannot see them altering it as it could impact the other games people have collected. I think the multi-game bases idea is great but the design of them in reality left a lot to be desired, but changing it now would have too many effects for FFG to consider it.

The other problem is that a new mold was made for the bases after 1st edition.  For the most part*, the 1st edition bases and premium figure bases all accept a monster token properly: Some minor friction so the token won't fall out, but a simple and easy insert/removal process as you'd expect. Plus, the hook on 1st edition and premium bases will properly hold an ID token.

With 2nd edition (mostly the small bases), the slot is far too small, and will damage tokens as you WORK to slide them in (and if you're perhaps a bit foolish, take them out again), while the hooks are far too loose, and they won't hold onto an ID token.

___

* I've run into SOME flash issues with 1st edition bases, though far fewer than with 2nd edition.

The other problem is that a new mold was made for the bases after 1st edition.  For the most part*, the 1st edition bases and premium figure bases all accept a monster token properly: Some minor friction so the token won't fall out, but a simple and easy insert/removal process as you'd expect. Plus, the hook on 1st edition and premium bases will properly hold an ID token.

With 2nd edition (mostly the small bases), the slot is far too small, and will damage tokens as you WORK to slide them in (and if you're perhaps a bit foolish, take them out again), while the hooks are far too loose, and they won't hold onto an ID token.

___

* I've run into SOME flash issues with 1st edition bases, though far fewer than with 2nd edition.

Hmm yes my cards seemed to all go in ok but I have the same issue with the tokens being really loose in the hooks.

___

Hmm yes my cards seemed to all go in ok but I have the same issue with the tokens being really loose in the hooks.

How easy are they to remove again?  Can you imagine replacing them with Arkham or MAD1 tokens on a regular basis, and not having it really tear up the cardboard? :-/

My cards went in ok, and I was able to remove them easily again, until I find a better storage solution for all the minis, I won't be using them. But I agree, the loose token holder for the id tokens is ridiculous. Its so loose, you might as well just leave the token lying on the base.

___

How easy are they to remove again?  Can you imagine replacing them with Arkham or MAD1 tokens on a regular basis, and not having it really tear up the cardboard? :-/

To be fair yes quite easy actually.

Im not saying there arent problems with that as there are so many people mentioning it, but the problem is intermittent enough that I myself do not have that problem.

My cards went in ok, and I was able to remove them easily again, until I find a better storage solution for all the minis, I won't be using them. But I agree, the loose token holder for the id tokens is ridiculous. Its so loose, you might as well just leave the token lying on the base.

You said it!  Though my experience is that the tokens do NOT slide that easily, in or out, so I just keep them to the side.  My group really likes the feel of the minis, but at times the bases are way too big.  and yeah the ID token slot is just terrible on the 2nd Ed versions.  Though conveniently, especially on the larger models, the creature tokens do seem to fit a little more snugly.

I am going to have to create some sort of custom case for mine, as there really isn't a particularly cheap solution since so many of the off the shelf products are made for comparably smaller minis.  I tried gluing them down, but even doing that, because many of them stick out quite a bit, you can't just toss them in a box, or they break off.  I even had the arm of a deep one come completely off and had to re-glue it. It surprised me that it wasn't all one piece for such a small mini.  Part of the problem here is the minis are subject to warping in transit, which in turn (especially for the bigger ones) makes it difficult to even get them to stay on their bases.

That said, for the most part I think the minis look excellent.  The bases though don't mesh well with them.  I've even found that some of the pegs need to be trimmed as they stick through the base and would make it even more difficult to get the tokens in and out.  I've considered just clipping the pegs and not messing with the bases, especially for some of the larger models that can free stand on their own.  However, there are quite a few of the smaller ones for which that just won't work.

I don't like the figures or the bases, I get its a legacy issue but I expect better of FFG now.

I'm backing another lovecraftian game on KS which has the plastic circles that slot onto the bottom of a standard base, with a little clip on the side where you can attach a token. I wish FFG had taken a similar minimalist approach with the MoM reboot.

Deep Madness?

Deep Madness?

Yarr!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-madness

Edited by Keffisch

I'll never back a game with characters such as "Randi Carter" or "Roman Asimov" or "Felicia Armitage". Good Lord, at least invent your own names instead of copying and twisting existing stuff at your will

Then, to each his own, I guess, and I get many will get this because of the cool minis