Sign in to follow this  
GiledPallaeon

Experiments with the Imperial Fleet (ISD, 2x GSD, CAP)

I'm sure other people have considered this list before, and potentially even flown it, so I'm hoping for some good feedback.

Imperial-1 class Star Destroyer - 110

-   Admiral Motti - 24

-   Relentless - 3

-   Gunnery Teams - 7

-   Boosted Comms - 4

-   Expanded Hangar Bay - 5

-   XI7 Turbolasers - 6

Gladiator-1 class Star Destroyer - 56

-   Demolisher - 10

-   Engine Techs - 8

-   Ordnance Experts - 4

-   Assault Proton Torpedoes - 5

Gladiator-1 class Star Destroyer - 56

-   Insidious - 3

-   Engine Techs - 8

-   Ordnance Experts - 4

-   Assault Proton Torpedoes - 5

Howlrunner - 16

Sontir Fel - 18

Darth Vader - 21

Punishing One - 20

TIE Interceptors - 11

Most Wanted/Opening Salvo

Hyperspace Assault

Superior Positions

400/400

This fleet has a couple compromises that I want opinions on. First, is the squadron complement in need of adjustment? It's a pure space superiority wing, intended to hurl itself at the enemy guns blazing, and take down enemy squadrons at a favorable rate of exchange, starting with the overwhelming alpha strike. Examples of changes include Howlrunner or the Interceptors for another Advanced to shepherd Fel, dropping Howl or Vader in favor generics, etc. Once we see the Wave 5 fighters I may slot in Defenders or Phantoms, but I need costs and stats.

Second option is the Imperial-class unit. It's currently pulling double duty as both the carrier and a battleship with the Gunnery Teams. Would I be better served with Flight Controllers over Gunnery Teams? Are there any Wave 3 or 4 cards that could easily slot into this fleet? (Spinal Armament if I can find three points?) The ships I know I'll be outactivated, but hopefully the durability of Motti combined with the raw, agile firepower of two Gladiators flitting around Relentless' flanks will be enough to counter that to a degree. The battle plan is rather direct, the Imperials charge in behind the fighter swarm, Relentless battering away at anything within reach and Demolisher and Insidious sprinting after vulnerable targets of opportunity.

Third question is the objectives. Obviously Hyperspace Assault plays into Demolisher like they were made to be, and Superior Positions helps with the out-activations game. Do people have advice about the red objective, or object to either of the other picks and why?

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Mate of mine has good success with the following:

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Screed

Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
Devastator  ( 10  points)
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points)
= 148 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
-  Admiral Screed  ( 26  points)
Demolisher  ( 10  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points)
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points)
= 109 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
Suppressor  ( 4  points)
= 27 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
Vector  ( 2  points)
= 25 total ship cost

1 "Mauler" Mithel ( 15 points)
1 Dengar ( 20 points)
1 IG-88 ( 21 points)
1 Boba Fett ( 26 points)

(Big edit to include a whole heap of missing parts.)

Edited by Amanal

For the squadron compliment, I would recommend dropping down Vader to a generic and dropping the Interceptor for Mauler Mithel. He's pure evil used along side Dengar. Between him and Fel, you're going to see a lot of auto damage shredding enemy squadrons.

On the ISD, yes drop Gunnery Teams for Flight Controllers. I'm in the minority of this (Biggs, come back me up!), but they really don't belong on an ISD-I. You really should be going for double arcs at close range instead. On an ISD-II, it would make more sense because of the threat you pose at longer ranges. An ISD-I wants to concentrate it's fire.

On objectives, I think you need some adjustment. Now that you don't have Gunnery Teams, Advanced Gunnery on the ISD becomes super scary and helps you against MSU fleets. Hyperspace Assault is solid. I'm tempted to suggest Contested Outpost, but Interdictors make that objective risky. If you're comfortable with Hyperspace Assault, go with it. Finally, Superior Positions is good since you're almost certain to win the dogfight. Just make sure you're willing to take shots at ships when you get the chance. Those victory tokens really stack up.

For the squadron compliment, I would recommend dropping down Vader to a generic and dropping the Interceptor for Mauler Mithel. He's pure evil used along side Dengar. Between him and Fel, you're going to see a lot of auto damage shredding enemy squadrons.

On the ISD, yes drop Gunnery Teams for Flight Controllers. I'm in the minority of this (Biggs, come back me up!), but they really don't belong on an ISD-I. You really should be going for double arcs at close range instead. On an ISD-II, it would make more sense because of the threat you pose at longer ranges. An ISD-I wants to concentrate it's fire.

On objectives, I think you need some adjustment. Now that you don't have Gunnery Teams, Advanced Gunnery on the ISD becomes super scary and helps you against MSU fleets. Hyperspace Assault is solid. I'm tempted to suggest Contested Outpost, but Interdictors make that objective risky. If you're comfortable with Hyperspace Assault, go with it. Finally, Superior Positions is good since you're almost certain to win the dogfight. Just make sure you're willing to take shots at ships when you get the chance. Those victory tokens really stack up.

Hey, don't Gunnery Team 1's unless you really want anti-squadron shots. Double Arc all the way!

I'm a big fan of ISD II over I's in this list because of the ECM (so at least one of your ships isn't just exploding), plus the range is nice to have paired with your Glads.

Do you really need Boosted Coms on your ISD?  The answer is almost always a  No.  Even if you set your squadrons 2 forward of the ISD during deployment, if you move the ISD 3 and they move 4, then they will still be within med range of your ISD on turn 2 (usually this is where the strike happens) unless you fly off at some weird angles.  Set it up and move them around and you will see that with some decent planning that you can save those points.

I prefer ECM to that Gunnery team.   Being around another turn of shooting because you can actually use your Brace is nice.

Insidious & ET's are nice, but not necessary on the second GSD.  (my experiences show it dies quick anyway)

Howlrunner, Mauler, Dengar, Vader, Soontir are a good base 5 for fighter superiority.  You really don't even need the Expanded Bays as Dengar can usually hang back and activate on the squadron phase or next turn, coming in late to free your fighters for the next strike.  Then, at least 1 of your fighters is usually dead so the base 4 is enough... plus soon after you are generally going to be choosing to make Engineering or Maneuver commands...  so you bay # doesn't even matter.