Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

2016 Star Wars: Imperial Assault Regional Prizes - Lando

what's the advantage of going to one over another other than timing?

Have you ever played against a Bantha?

a little, I've played the Bantha rider many times.  Are there more Bantha riders at certain Tournaments.  Or do they play Bantha riders at certain seasons?

I just meant, if I travel to one of these, is there a big difference between the tourney in Michigan vs. Tulsa vs. Arizona which are the ones I might be able to play in since I'll be out of town for the one in Texas.

what's the advantage of going to one over another other than timing?

Have you ever played against a Bantha?

a little, I've played the Bantha rider many times.  Are there more Bantha riders at certain Tournaments.  Or do they play Bantha riders at certain seasons?

I just meant, if I travel to one of these, is there a big difference between the tourney in Michigan vs. Tulsa vs. Arizona which are the ones I might be able to play in since I'll be out of town for the one in Texas.

Not sure on what the Tulsa crowd looks like but from what I've heard Arizona is heavy on Bantha/Tusken lists with the occasional Somos showing up.  Dewback is probably going to go over well there too.

Michigan sees quite a bit of Leia with Echo Base Troopers or Sorin and Snowtroopers.

;)  :P

From the tournaments in Arizona that I have been in, we are quite varied.  I think I have seen every unit used at least once minus like... Mak.  I admit I did go "kayne for Kayne" and played somos to get the alt art card.  at a Thursday tournament I took IG-88 and snagged 2nd place.  We always have one person who runs beast lists, but the bantha isn't THAT popular IMO.  Seeing more trooper spy lists, or rebel force user lists.

A good Bantha player will do everything, to have the last activation on turn 1 and the first activation on turn 2 (e.g. Devious Schemes). He would love to use a Jundland Terror inbetween.

When you play against the Bantha, you would like to have the last activation on turn 1 to stun the Bantha, so it can't use Jundland Terror, or to take at least half his health with this activation. If you have Take Initiative on turn 2 and take the other half his health with your first activation ... you get the point?

The Bantha dominates the game. When you're playing a Bantha, you need a little luck (draw the right cards, roll 3 damage) and some bad positioning of your opponent, and the Bantha can win a game alone.

But if your opponent knows what he's doing, or you have some bad luck (don't draw the right cards, roll 1 damage), the Bantha will be dead, before he can really do anything.

A good Bantha player will do everything, to have the last activation on turn 1 and the first activation on turn 2 (e.g. Devious Schemes). He would love to use a Jundland Terror inbetween.

When you play against the Bantha, you would like to have the last activation on turn 1 to stun the Bantha, so it can't use Jundland Terror, or to take at least half his health with this activation. If you have Take Initiative on turn 2 and take the other half his health with your first activation ... you get the point?

The Bantha dominates the game. When you're playing a Bantha, you need a little luck (draw the right cards, roll 3 damage) and some bad positioning of your opponent, and the Bantha can win a game alone.

But if your opponent knows what he's doing, or you have some bad luck (don't draw the right cards, roll 1 damage), the Bantha will be dead, before he can really do anything.

Well stated.  The Bantha seems to be a win big or lose big kind of piece.  That's too variable for my tastes; I want consistency on my side, so that I can control the terms of engagement on my end, with a fair degree of certainty.  

Maybe it's just that I've never encountered someone who knew how to play the Bantha really well, but I've encountered it several times and never had a problem with it.  

I have encountered the Bantha several times in the hands of someone who knew how to play the Bantha really well. This can be abolutely devastating.

Therefore, I've tested the Bantha myself in a good amount of games. If the red die shows 1 damage AND you don't draw the right cards, you will loose even against a much weaker opponent. This WILL happen every now and then. If it happens in a tournament, this can ruin your day. This inconsistency is my main reason not to play the Bantha.

I have encountered the Bantha several times in the hands of someone who knew how to play the Bantha really well. This can be abolutely devastating.

Therefore, I've tested the Bantha myself in a good amount of games. If the red die shows 1 damage AND you don't draw the right cards, you will loose even against a much weaker opponent. This WILL happen every now and then. If it happens in a tournament, this can ruin your day. This inconsistency is my main reason not to play the Bantha.

Same can be said for someone rolling one or 2 X-men at important times. Stuff like that will happen occasionally. And yes it can ruin a tournament. But that's dice games for you. Regardless of how well you play or how well you counter someone, you can still just get very unlucky a few times and not recover. This ain't chess. 

As far as the Bantha goes, the key to a good Bantha list seems to be the rest of the list. 

The Bantha is a big threat that can't be ignored. It usually goes down quick but can do some serious damage. The trick is to make best use of the time it takes to kill the Bantha, to position and attack with the rest of your army. 

Fast stuff like eNexu pair really well with the Bantha. They can soak a lot of fire with white dice and cunning. They rip through troopers with auto cleave and most importantly a lot of the creature cards work great for both of them.

Have you ever seen an elite Nexu with Wild Fury and Ferocity? That's 3 attacks including a pounce move, one of them focused and each one doing auto cleave 2 and auto bleed. It's terrifying.... and that's in addition to a Bantha stomping around. Beast Tamer also works great on a Nexu once the Bantha dies.   

In a list like that, even Wampas aren't bad. 

If you have a well crafted command deck and a good support list then a Bantha is pretty consistent. It's certainly not super easy to play like some troopers but it's strong and competitive.  

Edited by Inquisitorsz

Top 64 - The top sixty-four players will each receive a copy of the alternate art card for one of the biggest scoundrels in the galaxy - “Lando Calrissian”.
Top 32 - The top thirty-two players will each receive a set of 5 Scum wound tracker cards.
Top 8 - The top eight players will each receive a set of attack and defense dice to show off their prestige to their opponents.
Top 4 - The top four players will each receive printed acrylic point dial featuring the Trandoshan bounty hunter, Bossk.
First Place - The winner will receive a colored trophy depicting the Medal of Yavin and a first round bye to a 2017 Star Wars: Imperial Assault National Championship.

None in Massachusetts?  BOOOO.

I'm in New Hampshire. Has there been any IA representation at Pax East in previous years?

Not that I've seen, no. If there was it would have been limited to tabletop open play and I usually spend a decent amount of my time there. Could be that I missed it, but I don't think so.

Top 64 - The top sixty-four players will each receive a copy of the alternate art card for one of the biggest scoundrels in the galaxy - “Lando Calrissian”.

Top 32 - The top thirty-two players will each receive a set of 5 Scum wound tracker cards.

Top 8 - The top eight players will each receive a set of attack and defense dice to show off their prestige to their opponents.

Top 4 - The top four players will each receive printed acrylic point dial featuring the Trandoshan bounty hunter, Bossk.

First Place - The winner will receive a colored trophy depicting the Medal of Yavin and a first round bye to a 2017 Star Wars: Imperial Assault National Championship.

Didn't the largest regional ever have 28 players (I think RoyalRich mentioned that)  I'd like to get in a Regional just for the opportunity to play against some of you guys here on the board and get a day full of games in (4-5games for sure, right?)

Edited by buckero0

I think most regionals end up being 10-16 players. 

Most people are going to end up with dice. Everyone will get Lando and wound trackers. 

They are simply using the same sort of prize distribution as Xwing and other games which I think is good. 
It would be too hard to accomodate and adjust for different numbers of players.

One thing I did wish FFG clamped down on is what happens to left over prizes. 

It varies a lot depending on who runs each event. Some places give out multiples, some give out everything, some only keep a few cards for themselves, while others give out the minimum required and keep 30+ cards for themselves to sell later. 

I'd like to see that stamped out.   

If I make the effort to travel to another state to attend nationals, I think you can throw me a few extra promo cards. 

Most people are going to end up with dice. Everyone will get Lando and wound trackers. 

They are simply using the same sort of prize distribution as Xwing and other games which I think is good. 

It varies a lot depending on who runs each event. Some places give out multiples, some give out everything, some only keep a few cards for themselves, while others give out the minimum required and keep 30+ cards for themselves to sell later. 

If I make the effort to travel to another state to attend nationals, I think you can throw me a few extra promo cards. 

I hope that's the case lol. 

I'm going to regionals in Phoenix this year and they said they were expecting around 40 players. :o

Last regional I went to last year in Fargo only had around 14. 

I get that and would love to get an extra of some of the promo cards.

I am curious how much a regionals kit costs?

, while others give out the minimum required and keep 30+ cards for themselves to sell later. 

There are many things that retailers can not do with components of the Prize Kits.

Sell them, is one of them.

Yeah if retailers keep the extras, it's usually to give out as prizes in future events. 

I get that and would love to get an extra of some of the promo cards.

I am curious how much a regionals kit costs?

I might be wrong, but I think a regional kit costs the store around $75. 

, while others give out the minimum required and keep 30+ cards for themselves to sell later. 

There are many things that retailers can not do with components of the Prize Kits.

Sell them, is one of them.

Then out of curiosity, how is Lando (and the scum cards) already on Ebay?

Trust me, these retailers sell the **** out of kits which is BS, but they do.

~D