Sign in to follow this  
Rytackle

Mynock Podcast 38: Nationals and Narwhals

X-wing pilots, this week we do a NATIONALS ROUND UP! What will the meta be?

Welcome to the Mynock Podcast XXXVIII.

We’ve got less than a month until worlds and the Mynocks are doing their best to figure out what the meta will be. This episode we go over several nationals and analyze the top lists. Who are the biggest winners? Defenders? U-Boats? Soontir? Find out this episode!

FLY BETTER!

DIRECT DOWNLOAD

http://traffic.libsyn.com/mynockpodcast/MPE38_-_Nationals_and_Narwhals.mp3

Hosts:

Ryan Farmer
Dee Yun
Dallas Parker

mynock-squadron-logo-horz.jpeg

Episode Archives
Mynock Squadron Facebook group
Direman webcomics

FYI:

Vessery + Juke / x7

Ryad + PtL / x7 / Mk2

Omicron + Palp

... has been dubbed "Commonwealth Defenders" since it won Canadian and Australian Nationals.

I pioneered the list first, talking about it on NOVA before release. Both players picked up the list from the podcast. I never really named it, so someone on the forums named it "Commonwealth Defenders", which I think is cool.  So that's what I'm going with.

Of course, being Mynock, feel free to make up your own name too. :D

FYI:

Vessery + Juke / x7

Ryad + PtL / x7 / Mk2

Omicron + Palp

... has been dubbed "Commonwealth Defenders" since it won Canadian and Australian Nationals.

I pioneered the list first, talking about it on NOVA before release. Both players picked up the list from the podcast. I never really named it, so someone on the forums named it "Commonwealth Defenders", which I think is cool.  So that's what I'm going with.

Ah thanks! I appreciate it! The list terrifies me.

A big reason I've found that gunner is not an effective counter to defenders (and this comes from being on the defender side of the coin) is that they have great damage control.  

What I mean is with both a focus and evade I can almost always manipulate the tokens to end up with one damage and avoid the gunner shot (the exception is a case where the green dice naturally beat the attack dice which is fine for the defender or when the defense dice blank out against a bit hit, but then gunner wasn't doing anything either).   In a defender, I don't care if I take one damage with 6 six total health, which is much different from a lot of the other ships where gunner is an effective counter due to needing to avoid all damage.    Bringing gunner on a 50-60+ point ship that does one damage consistently per round to a ~35 point 6 health ship is not a damage curve that will win them the game.

Edited by AlexW

I think one of the differences between the Palp Defenders and Palp Aces, is that you can beat the Aces with defense, but you have to have offense to beat the Defenders.  If you can generate the defenses (through threat, tokens, or hit points) to avoid damage from the Aces portion of the Palp Aces list, you can take out the shuttle, then it's just aces.  That strategy doesn't quite work with PalpDefenders.  First, they hit a lot harder than the aces, both because they throw more dice with more re-rolls and because their increased hit points and automatic Evade token allow them to attack even when threatened with a block.  Soontir Fel has a hard time calling a bluff if he wants to attack.  Vessery doesn't care very much.  Ryad cares a little, but if she's already got a Target Lock up, she really doesn't care much either.  

There is a big defensive difference, however, while for many kinds of attacks the Defenders are straight up more resistant, thanks to the automatic Evade and 6 hit points, they can be worn down.  They have no autothrusters, so while massed Range 3 attacks tend to bounce off Fel indefinitely, they will actually wear down a Defender.  Defenders are more susceptible to conventional jousting lists such as BBBBZ.  Against lists that can throw a large number of decent attacks, the extra Evade token and Palp are more modestly useful.  Interestingly, however, the 6 hit points of the Defenders give them a measure of "burst defense", so high alpha squads like Crack Swarm and Uboats can run into problems against them if they can't trap the Defender for multiple Range 1 shots.  These sorts of squads can generally put out enough firepower to take out 1 Defender, but often can't finish other stuff off as quickly because their subsequent attacks are too weak to put damage on quickly.  Steady, consistent damage is what you want against Defenders.  I've heard a lot of discussion about TLTs being an answer to Defenders, but I'm not really buying it.  Even without Autothrusters, a lof the TLT shots will bounce off, and the Y-wings are easy to chase down and kill.  Scum Hwks are a little stronger, I think, because the pilot abilities are great, and they can usually get more modifications to the TLTs to help punch damage through more often (a Zuckuss/Wired Palob, for example is a little more expensive than a TLT Thug, but probably a lot stronger against an x7 Defender).  

General advice against them, I'd say, is to weather the opening shots by using your actions defensively, and plan to do damage on the Range 1 exchange.  It's a bit easier to set up than with other ships, because there's a window of 3-speed moves that will allow a Defender to still get an attack.  In situations like this, the smart Defender move is often to take a 3-turn away and try to avoid some shots, then K-turn next round.  Try to place your ships so they get Range 1 on the Defender if it makes an attack run, but have places to move to engage it the next turn if it breaks off.  A lot of the stuff that works on regular aces still works on Defenders, though.  Autoblasters Turrets, Omega Leader,  Connor Nets, etc., are dangerous to Defenders as well as aces.  Usually more shots will be needed from Autoblaster Turrets or Omega Leader, but you'll have more shots, because the Defenders are typically lower PS and will have fewer repositioning options than the classic collection of Imperial Aces.

FYI:

Vessery + Juke / x7

Ryad + PtL / x7 / Mk2

Omicron + Palp

Don't forget the part where they also claim to have invented it :P

FYI:

Vessery + Juke / x7

Ryad + PtL / x7 / Mk2

Omicron + Palp

You mean like the mynocks special

FYI:

Vessery + Juke / x7

Ryad + PtL / x7 / Mk2

Omicron + Palp

You mean like the mynocks special

Aka the KRAYTASTROPHE