Sign in to follow this  
Chaorain

Multiple Rules Questions for next FAQ

I have several questions after playing a few games, I'd like to see all of these in the next FAQ.

1) What happens when you run out of fire tiles? Use something else and keep adding more?

2) Say a monster has two options to get to an investigator, one is longer, the other is barricaded. Which do they take? I think that based on the definition of "Toward" they must try to break down the barricade, even if they've been trying for the last 10 minutes.

3) When playing a single player game and an investigator receives an insanity condition that can't be completed does the PLAYER, not the investigator, win if the other investigator wins? Is it a loss or a half win?

4) Some monsters say something like, "The Cultist moves up to 2 spaces to be adjacent to as many investigators as possible..." If you select "Cannot move to be adjacent." The app says, "The Cultist moves 2 spaces toward the nearest investigator." Does this mean it moves twice?

5) Some monsters attack investigators in adjacent spaces, does that mean they can attack through walls?

5) Spaces behind walls aren't adjacent

This is incorrect.

Rules Reference ... Page 4 ... Adjacent Section:

Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall.

Emphasis mine.
Edited by any2cards

1) Read Component Limitations in Rules Reference Page 2

2)That will depend on your group, we use the best possible move for the monster.

3) Read Insane under Damage & Horror in Rules Reference Page 7 

4) No

5) No - Read Wall Rules Reference Page 19

There is no need for a FAQ since all these can be answered by just reading the Rules Reference. 

This is incorrect.

Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an impassable border, or a wall.

Emphasis mine.

The key to add here is from the "Wall" section of the Rules Reference:

"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through

walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

So...

Two spaces separated by a wall are adjacent

However:

Monsters cannot attack (or move) through walls unless a specific rule allows it (e.g. the ghost's ability to move through walls).

This is incorrect.

Emphasis mine.

The key to add here is from the "Wall" section of the Rules Reference:

"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through

walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

So...

Two spaces separated by a wall are adjacent

However:

Monsters cannot attack (or move) through walls unless a specific rule allows it (e.g. the ghost's ability to move through walls).

To be clear, I never stated that anything could happen.  I simply made it very clear that spaces separated by a wall are most definitely adjacent.

To be clear, I never stated that anything could happen.  I simply made it very clear that spaces separated by a wall are most definitely adjacent.

I understand... but the OP's question was specifically whether a monster could attack through walls.   If he only read your comment without the language about effects not going through walls, he may have assumed that monsters could, indeed, attack through walls since (as you correctly pointed out) the spaces are adjacent.

Edited by KBlumhardt

2) Say a monster has two options to get to an investigator, one is longer, the other is barricaded. Which do they take? I think that based on the definition of "Toward" they must try to break down the barricade, even if they've been trying for the last 10 minutes. 

That's technically up to your playgroup's discretion. However, i'd like to propose a few alternative solutions:

A)Empirist AI. If monster finds the blocked door to be shortest, it tries that first. If successfull, good (bad for you). If not, it will try one more time to determine (find out) the probability. If both attempts have failed, the route is probably not favoured. Monster goes for the second shortest route. 

B)Supersticious AI: Based on the monster's first try, it will determine wether the path is viable or not. If it failed, it will directly search go for the second shortest route. 

C)Detuctive AI: Assume the monster can evaluate the situation perfectly: If odds of breaking through are less probable than succeeding, the monster will seek out the second shortest route.

D)Empirist-deductive. A mix. It tries once. If there's a fail, it now "knows" the difficulty and it will assess the situation and will base its next action on actual probability of breaking through, as described in ( C ). 

As you can see, AI often sets standards for difficulty. How should one pick any of these alternatives (you can come up with more alternatives, of course)? You could pick one of these guidelies and stick to that. 

-The one that's most difficult

-Take the one that's least interfering with the game flow (probably B or C)

-The one that matches the monster's grade/type of sentience. (Maybe come up with a monster simple monster table).

-Take the best compromise.

-Take a vote. 

Edited by Aelitafrommars