Sign in to follow this  
Darth Meanie

Feeling a Bit Jipped

well, this sort of thing kinda makes sense in armada.

Xwing games go until someone dies off. Armada lasts 6 rounds then the ships book it before they take too much damage.

X-Wing is only a death match because that is what is the current MO.  Like AN said, perma-death in a campaign is one possibility (and one I have used casually). . .just think, you only have to kill Soontir Fell once!

im not sure i'd be a fan of a permadeath xwing match unless there was a way to prevent them from dying as well.

Its a deathmatch. Unless you win, you lost that entire list.

Though it would be interesting to do a fleet management campaign, where the named guys are actually rare and hard to get and you have to actually obtain the ships/upgrades in the game rather than from your collection. Would be a rather lengthy campaign but might be interesting.

Let Armada have their fun. They're the most neglected of all the FFG Star Wars games.

As well, that style of campaign seems much better for Armada due to the turn limit and the fact that uniques in Armada are much more uncommon compared to X-wing, so permadeath is damaging but not crippling.

How many X-wing lists would be ruined if you had to remove a named pilot?

Literally everything is offensive to someone. Dont care. If something someone said merely offends you, grow some thick skin and deal with it. Unless theyre openly attacking you with their words/actions, deal with it.

Soooo many gestures we use in America casually are offensive as hell in other countries. Our "peace" sign is as bad as the middle finger in Australia. We still do it because its not offensive to us. And i dont hear any Australians getting pissed about seeing so many pics online of people "raising the V"

Literally everything is offensive to someone. Dont care. If something someone said merely offends you, grow some thick skin and deal with it. Unless theyre openly attacking you with their words/actions, deal with it.

There is a difference between 'being overly sensitive' to things and using what amounts to the n-word given to a group.  Just because you lack the cultural context to understand something doesn't make it not so.

Soooo many gestures we use in America casually are offensive as hell in other countries. Our "peace" sign is as bad as the middle finger in Australia. We still do it because its not offensive to us. And i dont hear any Australians getting pissed about seeing so many pics online of people "raising the V"

That's actually not true, either.  The offensive version of the gesture has the top of the hand forward, while the 'victory' gesture has the top of the hand backwards.  And yes, the offensive version of the gesture is, indeed, taken offensively even if done by an American.

There is a difference between 'being overly sensitive' to things and using what amounts to the n-word given to a group.  Just because you lack the cultural context to understand something doesn't make it not so.

not really the "n-word" as much as a soft parallel to stereotypical depiction of jewish people by anti-Semites 

given the historical ramifications of said stereotypical depiction for said group of people, and how (if I remember correctly) the Romani were also similarly targeted during that one very infamous period of history (it is very difficult to remember the very long list of people targeted by the dehumanizing rhetoric of that regime), that's not necessarily any better ofc

and yes, we've been godwinned

Edited by ficklegreendice

Funny, the white people on Fox get all atwitter about the use of 'cracker' and they get defensive when I call out a 'weeaboo' (who are universally white).

Using language that denigrates a protected class is never warranted or acceptable.

That's actually not true, either.  The offensive version of the gesture has the top of the hand forward, while the 'victory' gesture has the top of the hand backwards.  And yes, the offensive version of the gesture is, indeed, taken offensively even if done by an American.

Which is weird because the gesture in question is actually only offensive to the French...

Edited by Major Tom

im not sure i'd be a fan of a permadeath xwing match unless there was a way to prevent them from dying as well.

Though it would be interesting to do a fleet management campaign, where the named guys are actually rare and hard to get and you have to actually obtain the ships/upgrades in the game rather than from your collection. Would be a rather lengthy campaign but might be interesting.

The solution is very simple - create missions instead of a series of dogfights.

Just a little PSA: "jipped" (gyped, as in gypsy-ed) is a slur against Romani people. In the US the etymology doesn't seem to be well known so many people (including my younger self) use it without realizing the full meaning.

Whoa, learn something new everyday.

True, fair enough, and no offense meant.  Given my Bohemian background, I am probably even slurring myself.  And, unlike some others, I do care, since there are any number of other words I could have used to express my sentiment.  No way to redact a title in this forum, in any event.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Anyways, getting back to the topic here before the thread gets locked for getting political...

As an X-Wing and an Armada player, my overwhelming reaction to this preview is:

*YAWN*

Really. it does entirely nothing for me. If they did something like this for X-Wing, it'd be to slow down the sales.

So, back to the topic at hand, this is what I am talking about.  This isn't Armada, so a "control the sector" campaign is not the idea, but a "manage your squadron/unit assets through multiple engagements" concept could be cool.

So, back to the topic at hand, this is what I am talking about.  This isn't Armada, so a "control the sector" campaign is not the idea, but a "manage your squadron/unit assets through multiple engagements" concept could be cool.

Well consider the 'Rebels' TV series.  They are doing a pretty good job reflecting what could be a campaign for X-Wing easily enough.  Deciding what sectors to hit, trying to interfere with Imperial operations, stealing supplies, etc.

And while the Empire certainly has far more capital ships and fighters than could possibly fit in one game - they have to spread them out so very far and thin that the per-battle ship count is well within a game of X-Wing (I meant, you have the Ghost, Phantom, and sometimes a few A-Wings against a half dozen TIE Fighters or so...that's easily within the scale of X-Wing).

While it's common for tournament X-Wing to see all ships destroyed in a match - this isn't required.  The Ghost and all Rebel fighters have hyperdrives - they could just leave the battlefield.  Indeed, presumably, that's what "going off the map edge" represents - for purpose of a making a viable game balance out of it, you'd probably need instructions that the Rebels can only disengage off one side of the map (else are considered 'captured'), while the Imperial forces can only disengage off the other side of the map (to return to their ship) in games where their ship isn't already present (we've got the Gozanti, after all).

It's doable!

Anyways, getting back to the topic here before the thread gets locked for getting political...

*YAWN*

Really. it does entirely nothing for me. If they did something like this for X-Wing, it'd be to slow down the sales.

Not sure why it would slow down sales. . .you can not buy it and gleefully continue 100 point slug fests.

Unless you mean it would take away from the creative energy devoted to new ship design.  In which case, fair enough.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Literally everything is offensive to someone.

Hyperbole much?

You are of course free to be as insensitive and offensive as you choose to be, Vineheart.  Of course, just know that I and others will form opinions and judgments about you accordingly, despite your own personal perspective that people aren't "grown up" or "thick-skinned" enough to embrace the racial and ethnic slurs that you might find perfectly appropriate. If you think a forum about a hobby Star Wars game is an appropriate place to rant about your disapproval of PC Culture and the weaknesses that it implies about people, then you're probably exactly the kind of toxic person I wouldn't really care to have in my hobby game group. It doesn't mean that I don't think you shouldn't be allowed to believe or express offensive thoughts,  of course, but just that I wouldn't be super excited about spending my spare hobby time with someone who goes around spewing off racist, sexist, ableist, or heternormative jokes and attitudes.  This rejection of "PC Culture" and "over-sensitivity" is the refuge often used by toxic gamers as their attitudes and actions create a space that is unwelcoming to others, and geekdom and hobby gaming ought to be as inviting and welcoming as possible, in my opinion.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

*YAWN*

I fail to see how pointing out offensive language is political.

Literally everything is offensive to someone.

Hyperbole much?

You are of course free to be as insensitive and offensive as you choose to be, Vineheart.  Of course, just know that I and others will form opinions and judgments about you accordingly, despite your own personal perspective that people aren't "grown up" or "thick-skinned" enough to embrace the racial and ethnic slurs that you might find perfectly appropriate. If you think a forum about a hobby Star Wars game is an appropriate place to rant about your disapproval of PC Culture and the weaknesses that it implies about people, then you're probably exactly the kind of toxic person I wouldn't really care to have in my hobby game group. It doesn't mean that I don't think you shouldn't be allowed to believe or express offensive thoughts,  of course, but just that I wouldn't be super excited about spending my spare hobby time with someone who goes around spewing off racist, sexist, ableist, or heternormative jokes and attitudes.

Yes. Exactly this.

To Darth Meanie's eternal credit, they have already apologized. Because that's what adults do when it is pointed out that they have made an ignorant mistake. You say "I didn't know, my bad."

Our culture- like all cultures- has a lot of hurtful detritus that it teaches to its young. It is entirely possible to go your whole life with a bit of language in your lexicon that you don't realize has been historically used in conjunction with beatings, murders, and attempted extermination. Once you learn, you have a choice. You can stop using the insult, or continue doing so.

Once given the information, Darth Meanie made a choice to stop participating in the dehumanization of the Roma people. I'm not sure why anyone would not want to do likewise.

I do know that making a knowing choice to continue using slurs once you've been informed about it makes you an as shole.

I don't like to play with anyone who smells that bad.