Sign in to follow this  
any2cards

Is this the way RTL future expansions will be handled?

Today, FFG announced a new expansion for Mansions of Madness Second Edition.  It includes a physical expansion (physical box) with 2 new investigators and a new monster, and other stuff.

In addition, it includes 2 new scenarios for the digital app.

Makes me think that this is the way they could release additional RTL campaigns, not to mention get the remainder of the 12 D1e heroes currently not represented within D2e.

Edited by any2cards

As long as the same campaign can be driven by an overlord as well as the app then this would seem like a decent idea.

My gut tells me that Fantasy Flight may slow down on D2E releases and start to look towards a third edition soon.  I really hope I'm wrong though as I'm thoroughly enjoying the way D2E is starting to mature.

This is pure speculation on my part but I imagine the road map for Descent expansions have been planned out long before FFG began experimenting with co-ops (POD and app) for this game. I'd assume that expansions will continue to be released as they have been for many years and RTL scenerios and campaigns will be tacked on so to speak.

Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed.has been built from the ground up to be app driven, so I'd expect the expansion road map to be different than Descent. I'd not be surprised to see a steady stream of expansions built around the app for that game Expansions are the FFG way after all.

It will be interesting to see how they handle SW:IA since they will be in the same boat as Descent, that is the game was built around a different set of rules than co-op and the expansion road map is (I assume) all worked out.

I saw an news item regarding Mutant Cronicles as a new co-op game. I'm curious to see if that will get the app treatment...

As long as the same campaign can be driven by an overlord as well as the app then this would seem like a decent idea.

My gut tells me that Fantasy Flight may slow down on D2E releases and start to look towards a third edition soon.  I really hope I'm wrong though as I'm thoroughly enjoying the way D2E is starting to mature.

If they did that, they'd lose at least one customer. I've been buying every D2E expansion they've released, but another edition would compete for our playtime, and either not get played, or make the hundreds of dollars I've spent on D2E so far useless. A few more RtL campaigns, and I think I'd have enough D2E material to keep me busy indefinitely in any case.

If they did that, they'd lose at least one customer. I've been buying every D2E expansion they've released, but another edition would compete for our playtime, and either not get played, or make the hundreds of dollars I've spent on D2E so far useless. A few more RtL campaigns, and I think I'd have enough D2E material to keep me busy indefinitely in any case.

Yeah ... I don't know about a third edition ... if they hadn't released RTL, I would bet good money that there'd be another edition on the horizon, but with RTL tripling sales (per FFG CEO at the In-Flight report) I think it's effectively delayed any plans or need for an other edition.