Sign in to follow this  
any2cards

Beyond The Thresholds

While I welcome new expansions, I am not sure I am onboard with the value proposition here. FFG is asking $40 for 2 new investigators (barrowed from existing AH Files games), 1 new monter (or at most one new monster type), an unknown number of small cards and two scenarios. No new map tiles. Seems like at most a $25 expansion, but they want almost twice that amount. And now that we know that DLC scenarios will go for $3, even factoring that is doesn't bring it close to $40. Unless we are talking hundreds of new cards. Guess we will just have to wait and see...

Edited by Otakuon

While I welcome new expansions, I am not sure I am onboard with the value proposition here. FFG is asking $40 for 2 new investigators (barrowed from existing AH Files games), 1 new monter (or at most one new monster type), an unknown number of small cards and two scenarios. No new map tiles. Seems like at most a $25 expansion, but they want almost twice that amount. And now that we know that DLC scenarios will go for $3, even factoring that is doesn't bring it close to $40. Unless we are talking hundreds of new cards. Guess we will just have to wait and see...

The article doesn't mention it, but there are 6 new double-sided tiles (12 rooms), according to an otherwise completely spot-on leak a few days ago.  They figured out the investigators, the monster, the scenario names and even scenario descriptions.

Even so... I agree the price seems a bit high here.

The article doesn't mention it, but there are 6 new double-sided tiles (12 rooms), according to an otherwise completely spot-on leak a few days ago.  They figured out the investigators, the monster, the scenario names and even scenario descriptions.

You have a link to this with pictures... right?

:lol:

Otherwise it is vapor...

;)

You have a link to this with pictures... right?

:lol:

Otherwise it is vapor...

;)

I'd rather not link it and help FFG find it to have it taken down... but it's pretty easy to find on BGG.   :D

So for comparison, in the same priced expansion for a game like Imperial Assault you would get multiple new map tiles, enough to form a few new missions (probably roughly the equivalent of 6 tiles worth in this game), 2 new heroes with figures and hero cards, new item (6), supply (2), reward (2+) and if applicable condition cards (1), 2 new enemies with 8 figures (regular and elite). new class cards for imperial and rebel heroes, damage/strain/condition tokens, skirmish command cards and 1 new skirmish mission map (2 objectives).  The expansion would also come with 4 playable missions that can be integrated into larger campaigns or played as their own stand alone mini campaign with included flavour text, roughly 1.5-2 hours per mission playing time.

I feel like so far this checks a lot of those boxes, but some are partial and a lot is left blank. The two scenarios helps, but again boggles my mind that the core only came with 4! This expansion is less than half the cost and has half the scenarios? I felt a little let down by the quality of mini with the core, this expansion looks slightly better. I am ok with limited figures and monsters as the core + 1st edition content has added a wide range of enemies to face, but I feel like the price point is high for what is in the box. It is hard to pass judgement until we know all of the details though. My initial thought is yay more scenarios! Boo $40!

Edited by FrogTrigger

I'm surprised they got another expansion far along enough to announce this quickly. This game is rather experimental and just went on sale a couple of months ago. They must have really believed in this game to green light a third expansion without sales data.

It is hard to judge how much value the scenarios really are. Success of DLC is completely dependent on number of downloads and $3 may just be a price they threw out there without actually knowing what the sales will end up being. How much more work went into the new retail scenarios compared to the current ones and how meaty the DLC scenarios are at this point is unknown.

Also more may as of yet be spoiled. There may be map tiles yet to come (makes sense) and only one new monster seems thin. Some of the value of this product is going to be digital based, so the physical part of the game being thinner than normal should be expected. I am currently sitting on A LOT of map tiles and A LOT of figures. A couple more investigators, couple more monsters, a few new map tiles, a fresh set of cards and a couple of scenarios that make great use of everything I already have sounds real good to me. The value really comes down to how good the scenarios are.

I'm surprised they got another expansion far along enough to announce this quickly. This game is rather experimental and just went on sale a couple of months ago. They must have really believed in this game to green light a third expansion without sales data.

It is hard to judge how much value the scenarios really are. Success of DLC is completely dependent on number of downloads and $3 may just be a price they threw out there without actually knowing what the sales will end up being. How much more work went into the new retail scenarios compared to the current ones and how meaty the DLC scenarios are at this point is unknown.

Also more may as of yet be spoiled. There may be map tiles yet to come (makes sense) and only one new monster seems thin. Some of the value of this product is going to be digital based, so the physical part of the game being thinner than normal should be expected. I am currently sitting on A LOT of map tiles and A LOT of figures. A couple more investigators, couple more monsters, a few new map tiles, a fresh set of cards and a couple of scenarios that make great use of everything I already have sounds real good to me. The value really comes down to how good the scenarios are.

And the replay value, for now only some elements change if you play again a scenario.

They must have really believed in this game to green light a third expansion without sales data.

1st expansion technically. The other two boxes were figure and tile packs, purely for folk who didn't have the first edition content.

The expansion is half a year away from release which matches most of their releases with big and small boxes being 6 months apart.

This is a wise move because the real value in this game will be how many scenarios get released, and by this time next year we'll have at least 9 scenarios, probably several more.

And the replay value, for now only some elements change if you play again a scenario.

Plenty of replay value... I played the first scenario five times with different groups of friends and it went vastly different each time. And that was only core components, not the investigators or monsters or tiles from the additional stuff.

They must have really believed in this game to green light a third expansion without sales data.

1st expansion technically. The other two boxes were figure and tile packs, purely for folk who didn't have the first edition content.

The expansion is half a year away from release which matches most of their releases with big and small boxes being 6 months apart.

This is a wise move because the real value in this game will be how many scenarios get released, and by this time next year we'll have at least 9 scenarios, probably several more.

Plenty of replay value... I played the first scenario five times with different groups of friends and it went vastly different each time. And that was only core components, not the investigators or monsters or tiles from the additional stuff.

AND a whole new wave of Monsters I bet. Peterson's C-War is coming out again soon and it kicks MOM pretty good. FFG is surely going to step up and make a new batch of modern sculpted goodies to compete.

:)

CW_Banner1.jpg

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

I think the interesting thing is that DLC scenarios will cost 2.99 each. So, two scenarios are 6 dollars. This means they price the rest of the expansion 34 dollars which is definitely steep for 6 tiles, 3 minis and some cards and tokens. I don't want to start a war about prices here; my question is of different nature: core set comes with a lot of tiles and monsters, and the two tile and monster collections add a load more. Will people buy scenarios at 3 dollars each only? And major expansions offering some more tiles and stuff will be left there all alone on a gamestore shelf? That's interesting to see

I think the interesting thing is that DLC scenarios will cost 2.99 each. So, two scenarios are 6 dollars. This means they price the rest of the expansion 34 dollars which is definitely steep for 6 tiles, 3 minis and some cards and tokens. I don't want to start a war about prices here; my question is of different nature: core set comes with a lot of tiles and monsters, and the two tile and monster collections add a load more. Will people buy scenarios at 3 dollars each only? And major expansions offering some more tiles and stuff will be left there all alone on a gamestore shelf? That's interesting to see

If the tiles and figures are awesome it will be fine. Of course I can't find much at BGG so I do not know what these extra stuff looks like...

:rolleyes:

Its quite possible that they're making either a loss, or a very slight margin on the DLC as they know charging anymore for individual scenarios won't sell well, vs trying to make a profit back on the expansion boxes themselves.  I'm hoping that additional expansions will also include additional scenarios that use that expansion content?  I mean in addition to the 2 they're releasing.  For example they might have something like Cycle of Eternity that has multiple layouts depending on which sets your have, or other scenarios that will come with stickers saying "Only purchase if you own Beyond the Thresholds"

Hey guys. Guys, hey. I have a question. It's about Akachi Onyele's ability. How many instances of clues being discarded from you you can remember? I can remember none. I played plenty of scenarios (most of them), some several times, and I don't remember a single time any of investigators had to discard clues. Any of you?

Hey guys. Guys, hey. I have a question. It's about Akachi Onyele's ability. How many instances of clues being discarded from you you can remember? I can remember none. I played plenty of scenarios (most of them), some several times, and I don't remember a single time any of investigators had to discard clues. Any of you?

Actually I ran into quite a few mythos events that discarded clues. They usually targeted the investigator with the highest amount of clues.

Interesting point.  We'll have to wait and see.  My guess (from buzz alone and play group responses) is that they have a hit here, and while some will grumble about price points, most will pickup the expansions for a game that's fun...  I for one am thrilled at this level of support for Mansions... a favorite of mine that 6-8 months ago one could've argued that FFG was moving on from... with the superb app integration, they've opened a new market that people are excited about.  The Descent sales spike alone probably proved where this could go.  Most of us posting here are obviously fans, so we're not necessarily the best people to answer Julia's question.  I'm gonna get everything they publish for Mansions because I enjoy the game so much.  I now have a large Descent collection because I enjoyed the app integration and solo play on the Dungeon crawl so much.  I'll be gobbling up Mansions content as it shows up.  My crew has loved the 2ed with every table play so far.  

Actually I ran into quite a few mythos events that discarded clues. They usually targeted the investigator with the highest amount of clues.

Was this some particular scenarios? We might have got lucky then. It just feels to me in the current circumstances that picking Akachi might feel as a huge waste if not a single clue discarding stuff happens throughout the scenario.