Sign in to follow this  
PhilOfCalth

How did/would you deal with the Dagon Overlord

So my group is soon going to find itself tasked with taking down the Dagon Overlord. I've strongly implied that they will be given a tank and sent after it, however, this is a bit of a ruse for two reasons:

1/ That would be suicide. With the overlord's Psychic powers he could one shot any tank and the 3 man kill-team within would not last much longer.

2/ The tyranids are going to take down the Deathwatch ship in orbit before the mission even starts, so the marines will be starting on their back foot.

On the plus side the KT and many of the other marines on the ship have been researching the Overlord all the way through this story arc and will be capable of disabling a number of its advantages. Discussion on how to stop the Overlord from being reborn by the hive mind will be included.

With that background aside, I'll open my question to you guys. How have/would you guys take down the overlord? Do you have any war stories to share with me?

Disclaimer: I don't have game expirience with Dagon Overlord as GM or player, so this is pure theory:

With that background aside, I'll open my question to you guys. How have/would you guys take down the overlord?

Lascannon long-range sniping. Overlord maximum attack distance is with Warp Blast power - 550 meters if Pushing. Lascannon can hit from 1200. 5d10+10 Pen 10, Proven (3) against Armor 10, TB 18 and 180 wounds - sounds not so bad.

True to an extent. Our devastator is itching to make that extreme range shot and is all set up for it and my plan is to end them up in a modified predator annihilator, So said devastator should have access to a twin linked lascannon.

On the other side the average damage for said lascanon is in the low 40s, 22 after reduction for TB. Doubled for twin linked 44 after which it's dealing with the problem, having it's minions disable the vehicle up close, blocking shots with the hive guard, etc. If he's not, it's going to be mightily anti-climactic.

You do bring up a good point. Engage the Overlord at a level it cannot return fire... What are people's thoughts on flyers?

PS yes Professor Tanhauser. The Dagon Overlord is in Mark of the Xenos

Edited by PhilOfCalth

On the other side the average damage for said lascanon is in the low 40s, 22 after reduction for TB. Doubled for twin linked 44 after which it's dealing with the problem, having it's minions disable the vehicle up close, blocking shots with the hive guard, etc. If he's not, it's going to be mightily anti-climactic.

Don't forget that you have 40% chanse for RF with every lascannon shot, it hepls. Other members of KT can use missile launchers to help with Overlord minions when they approach to 1000 m.

Edited by Jargal

Multi melta, Plasma cannon. Plasma missiles. Those special irradiated weapons like balefire guns. Have an imperator titan step on it. Feed the spacewolf a huge chilli cheese omelette and have him fart on it a couple hours later. No, that last one would do too much environmental damage. Plus if there's an ignition source in the area you could end up with a warp rift letting in a horde of nurgle daemons...

Edited by Professor Tanhauser