Sign in to follow this  
Green Knight

Phoenix Squadron

I enjoy how terrible they are as they should be. We're still in early days of the rebellion they aren't a legitimate or wealthy organization yet so they should have mostly scrubs right now.

Phoenix Squadron should be cheaper then a tie squadron, they're somehow even worse.  

I enjoy how terrible they are as they should be. We're still in early days of the rebellion they aren't a legitimate or wealthy organization yet so they should have mostly scrubs right now.

Phoenix Squadron should be cheaper then a tie squadron, they're somehow even worse.  

I'd agree, but we're talking opponents that even Chopper can shoot down :D

I'd agree, but we're talking opponents that even Chopper can shoot down :D

Haha true.

What if Phoenix squadron gave a boost to the Ghost when placed in the same list?

Do Phoenix Squadrons A-Wings have shields?  Or are they being rebellious and turning them off?

Maybe they came without shields...

...they should spin more. Spinning is a good trick.

They should ask Vader for spinning lessons.

I've never liked them using A-wings in Rebels. The backstory from the EU is that they were designed by Dodonna post Battle of Yavin (hence not present at it). This has all been changed in the new Canon with them being introduced much earlier in the timeline (but not present at Battle of Yavin)and apparently without shields hence so many Phoenix squadron pilots dying so easily. A better fit for Phoenix squadron would have been to have them fly Z95's.

Refinements made by rebel techs stripped away the A-wing's shields, armor and heavy weapons in favor of raw speed, resulting in a fighter that was tough to maintain and fly, but could outrun even a TIE interceptor. These reworked A-wings played a large role in the Battle of Endor, the rebels' greatest victory over the Empire.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/a-wing-fighter

I've never liked them using A-wings in Rebels. The backstory from the EU is that they were designed by Dodonna post Battle of Yavin (hence not present at it). This has all been changed in the new Canon with them being introduced much earlier in the timeline (but not present at Battle of Yavin)and apparently without shields hence so many Phoenix squadron pilots dying so easily. A better fit for Phoenix squadron would have been to have them fly Z95's.

I agree with this.  Both the A-wing and the B-wing are post Yavin.  And I am pretty sure that IS canon, (one of the video games, maybe?).  With the B-wing, at least, it is a prototype, so, it could be theorised they don't show as prdouction models until Post Yavin.  But the A-wings.  Grrrrr

edited cuz I can't spell apparently

Edited by Hersh

Pride of the Rebellion? The legends materials can be summed up as:

Ywings were old, sturdy, strikefighters that were stripped down to make maintenence easier. They could hold their own with TIE Fighters through sheer durability and the turret.

XWings were the pride of the Rebellion. They matched TIE Fighters in speed and maneuvering, but were far tougher and much better armed. They became the mainstay that kept the rebellion going.

AWings were the design so stripped down to nothing but engines and guns that could (and were) built in the Star Wars equivalent of woodshops. They were blindingly fast but died to a stiff breeze.

In a few series, Imperial captains like Palleon were shown to rather face anything than XWings because nothing fought back as well.

So in Rebels, seeing undertrained pilots in kitbashed starfighters getting slaughtered by Vader or the 151st (or whoever the red striped interceptors are) is no surprise.

According to the lore A-Wings were Rebel prototypes based loosely on the TIE/In but more closely on the Eta-2. Both fighters were basically tuned down Jedi starfighters because without the Force the Eta-2s couldn't be effectively flown by pilots. The TIE/In is slightly slower in exchange for two extra cannons and being slightly more sturdy while the A-Wing exchanged the insane maneuverability for having shields. But all in all the A-wing was considered the better ship even though it had less firepower. So yes, A-wing was the BEST interceptor you could wish for during the Battle of Endor. True, it has no chance against an capital ship, but that's not its role. The X-wing is obviously a more rounded-up space superiority starfighter, but in dogfights the A-wing is superior.

if you don't believe me, try X-wing Alliance :P

Edited by Norell