Sign in to follow this  
Droidlover

I did a boo boo.

Tallying up the cost of my x-wing collection isn't so bad...

Tallying up the lifetime cost of my MTG habit? Now that hurts.

Exact figures are not easy without the collection to hand (not at home at this exact moment), but x-wing comes in at under £1000, and my lifetime mtg expenditure is easily 10 times that.

Yea.. I keep a spreadsheet. I'm fully aware of how much I'm spending, and it's a lot. Doesn't get me in the red, and doesn't change my buying habits, tho: I have one money-grubbing hobby at a time, and X-wing is it right now (after having gone through phases of RPG books, PC parts, music equipment, all sorts of action figures, etc, over the years). I'm fine with the investment, it is fun to play, to theorize about the game, and the ships look cool on my shelf.

If X-wing was my only vice I'd agree it isn't too bad. Unfortunately FFG in general is addicting so on top of X-wing I've got a ton of armada ships, 3 LCGs I fully collect and numerous board games that I'm not going to list. The worst though is the extremely expensive computer habit. I probably should start a hobby budget to limit it a little bit more than I do currently. In the meantime I've got a lot of awesome stuff though, so that's fun. Lol!

I've been in it for less than a year, and my collection is at $425. I think from now on, I'll only pay retail for ships I plan to fly. I'll wait for good sales for things I just want for the upgrades(like starvipers or the other core.) Or just pick up the cards on ebay.

That's a great plan if you stick to it. I've on 3 separate occasions made large X-wing purchases only to have CSI do one of their insane sales within less than a week. 

Calculate what the ball and chain has spent on shoes you'll feel better.

Are we supposed to win this competition or make it competitive and let them win?

It depends on how much sex you want to have.

And I'm not offended Hobojebus, but I do feel sorry for you.

I fail to see logic here. Anyone can also calculate how much was spent on restraunts / movies / drinks / numerous other things we do for fun or relaxation. Guess what - board games are the same, and X-Wing is certainly not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, too. 

Problem is, some spendings are not very smart *looks at 5 Scyks on the shelf, starts crying*

Absolutely. . .in my circle of friends, I spend an insane amount of money on dining out, but I consider the money well spent in an evening of gustatory pleasure with my wife.

Just consider your Scyks "food poisoning."  Hey, it happens. :P

Tallying up the cost of my x-wing collection isn't so bad...

Tallying up the lifetime cost of my MTG habit? Now that hurts.

Exact figures are not easy without the collection to hand (not at home at this exact moment), but x-wing comes in at under £1000, and my lifetime mtg expenditure is easily 10 times that.

Yep.  Well shy of the M:TG foolishness still as well. . .

This is, like, incredibly sexist. Please don't.

what? it's a joke stop being overly sensitive.

Kids these days.

No. You really weren't joking. You're pretending that you were joking, but if you didn't think of spouses as "ball and chain"s, you wouldn't have thought to use that phrase. If you didn't think of women as buying shoes for frivolous reasons, you wouldn't have thought to say so. 

You may have been laughing. You may have been trying to make other people laugh. But you weren't making a joke, you were making fun. 

Don't do that.

If I were to total my whole collection I am sure it would be quite a bit.  But my sister and brother-in-law ski.  I guarantee that I have paid less money on X-wing than my sister paid for 4 season passes (I have been collecting since the beginning)  That doesn't even count the money the spend on equipment.

Try to compare it to something closer in cost.  Before I played X-wing my primary game was Warhammer 40K.  I spent about twice as much per year an only collected a small fraction of the stuff.  I couldn't even filed most of the competitive builds for the armies I played.

This is a mini game, As those go it is pretty cheap.  In fact I can not think of a mini game that is cheaper.  The attack wing games are about the same, though D&D is dying and Star Trek requires you to buy a lot more stuff to stay competitive.   (Speaking of other mini games, every one complaining about balance should try any other mini game they want, if it has any time at all for power creep then its balance is going to be way worse than X-wing)

I just started playing in February of this year. I have no epic ships, nor a Decimator or Ghost. Other than that, I have one or more of everything else. Yes, the dollars seem large at first, but long term it's a cheap hobby. Plus I have spent far more on Advanced Squad Leader over the last 25 years or so. I don't play as many different games as some people, so when I do pick up and buy into a game, I am all in. At least I have an understanding wife.

Kids these days.

No. You really weren't joking. You're pretending that you were joking, but if you didn't think of spouses as "ball and chain"s, you wouldn't have thought to use that phrase. If you didn't think of women as buying shoes for frivolous reasons, you wouldn't have thought to say so. 

You may have been laughing. You may have been trying to make other people laugh. But you weren't making a joke, you were making fun. 

Don't do that.

When is buying shoes not frivolous?

Meh!  Can you still pay your bills, feed your family and put away for education/retirement?

Each hobby has its costs.  This is why you are suppose to only use disposable cash. 

I know guys who are into cars and motorcycles that will spend more than you ever do.  Go over to NeoGaf or Cheapassgamer.com and see how much people spend on video games.  Golf or even camping is expensive.  Take a family of 4 out for dinner and a movie...what does that cost?   For a game like Battletech there are people who spend over $400 on rule books (check out Reddit).  Warhammer 40K is far more expensive.  Any miniatures game is expensive. 

I spent money to do the Trench Run including building a table for the scenario.  I purchased more for the to run Heroes of the Aturi Cluster.  Tonight we are getting together with pop-corn to watch the trilogy again to find a scenario to build for ourselves.

I work at least 60hrs a week.  Spending a little to have some fun is not a problem.  I have a blast with my brother and friends every time we play and now that the kids are old enough they play with us.  There is no price on that. 

Kids these days.

Don't do that.

When is buying shoes not frivolous?

I own two pairs one for work one for leisure time, I won't buy more till a pairs nearly worn out so I consider buying more shoes than you really need as frivolous as buying toy ships.

And the only time when I'm dead serious is when I'm hating on the prequels, I made a joke and I'm not going to apologise because you didn't get it.

And I'm certainly not going to give in to your attempts at censorship either.

Kids these days.

Don't do that.

This is a public forum. Please don't presume to tell anyone what to do.

Kids these days.

I got the joke and thought it was funny.

Some people just can't take a joke and have no concept of thick skinned. I always wonder if those who are over sensitive come from the "everybody gets a trophy" era.

Reminds me of a saying or bumper sticker I saw once. I believe it was at a gun store, but applies here as well.

By biggest fear is when I die, my wife sells all my "toys" for what I told her I paid for them.

LOL!!!! That's why I have a son to will all my toys to when I am gone.

Kids these days.

Don't do that.

Get over yourself...

F*cking SJWs man... Jesus Christ...

Geez guys, this is all going somewhere it doesn't need to.

OT, I did calculate what I spent at one point and it did cause me to be a bit more conservative with what I get in the future. On a positive note, my wife is very understanding if she sees that I am actually using my stuff. If she sees that I'm playing the game, having fun, etc... She's fine with it. She gets annoyed when she sees that I'm just sort of collecting them for no apparent purpose, and I haven't played the game in a while.

Still trying to get more friends into the game so I can play more games at home rather than having to go to a club. One of the great things about x wing is that you can break it out at home on a kitchen table for a quick game unlike Warhammer which requires significantly more time and effort and usually a dedicated evening just for one game.

$2,010 but I bet I've counted fairly shy of an actual higher real total.

Still not much compared to Magic: The Gathering and Warhammer.

How much do people get paid anyway? That's a small fraction of an annual salary.