Sign in to follow this  
Droidlover

I did a boo boo.

I went and did something just for the hell of it. Now I wish I hadn't. Please don't make the same mistake. If my wife finds out the truth, she'll fry me with force lightning for sure. She will then burn me on a pyre of all my Xwing stuff.

I went and calculated the retail price of every piece of Xwing I own. I have been playing consistently for almost three years now, and have acquired a fairly decent collection. I will admit that there are several ships that I refuse to buy, and I do not own any epic scale ships. I also know that there are many here (and those I know) who well surpass my collection by a factor of three or four, but I still was shocked at my final tally. I'm not posting numbers, as I don't want this thread to become THAT kind of comparison. But has anyone else been shocked at their accumulated tally over the years?

I won't even attempt it.  I can console myself by remembering that I only buy things on sale, as even my FLGS has a annual membership that makes their prices better than any online retailer I've seen even before shipping costs... but it's still too large a number for me to want to know the whole amount.

This comic seems appropriate: 

xwing.jpg

... because I needed at least 12 TIE fighters to run Heroes of the Aturi Cluster. No, I don't want to let anyone else bring their own ships, I want to be able to host the game. All by myself. Oh, and I need 4 Interceptors, 4 Phantoms, better get some more TIE Advanced, I should have at least 3 Defenders, and they all need to be the sexy red paint job. 

... because I needed more than one copy of the Seismic Torpedo, since blowing up rocks is so much fun.

... because I needed Guidance Chips for each of my Scyks.

... because I needed 4 Scyks to make a "heavy" swarm. Before I figured out it doesn't work. :(

... because if one Falcon is awesome, two is awesomer.

... because having only one Decimator meant it got lonely.

... because... well, just because.

I made the same mistake, OP. It is truly baffling and I really wish I hadn't. I'll just say that I bought 3 falcons to spam the ORS and leave it at that.

Edit: In my defense, that was back when generic spam lists were a viable part of the game

Edited by Futant420

I have a pretty good idea what I have spent (I track it all in a spreadsheet that, admittedly, hasn't been updated in a while) and am very ok with it. It's nothing compared to (say) playing golf regularly. I took my wife to Vegas for our anniversary and spent more on that weekend than on X/Wing.

Edited by Bojanglez

I went and did something just for the hell of it. Now I wish I hadn't. Please don't make the same mistake. If my wife finds out the truth, she'll fry me with force lightning for sure. She will then burn me on a pyre of all my Xwing stuff.

I went and calculated the retail price of every piece of Xwing I own. I have been playing consistently for almost three years now, and have acquired a fairly decent collection. I will admit that there are several ships that I refuse to buy, and I do not own any epic scale ships. I also know that there are many here (and those I know) who well surpass my collection by a factor of three or four, but I still was shocked at my final tally. I'm not posting numbers, as I don't want this thread to become THAT kind of comparison. But has anyone else been shocked at their accumulated tally over the years?

Made this mistake a bit ago when my collection was smaller. Won't be happening again.

I won't even attempt it.  I can console myself by remembering that I only buy things on sale, as even my FLGS has a annual membership that makes their prices better than any online retailer I've seen even before shipping costs... but it's still too large a number for me to want to know the whole amount.

This comic seems appropriate: 

xwing.jpg

I love that picture. Every time I see it it make me smile.

... because I needed at least 12 TIE fighters to run Heroes of the Aturi Cluster. No, I don't want to let anyone else bring their own ships, I want to be able to host the game. All by myself. Oh, and I need 4 Interceptors, 4 Phantoms, better get some more TIE Advanced, I should have at least 3 Defenders, and they all need to be the sexy red paint job. 

... because I needed more than one copy of the Seismic Torpedo, since blowing up rocks is so much fun.

... because I needed Guidance Chips for each of my Scyks.

... because I needed 4 Scyks to make a "heavy" swarm. Before I figured out it doesn't work. :(

... because if one Falcon is awesome, two is awesomer.

... because having only one Decimator meant it got lonely.

... because... well, just because.

When I started, I told my wife I would keep costs down by:

A.  Only playing one side.

B.  Proxying cards from the online squad builders.

C.  Not needing more than a couple of ships of each type.

Mistakes were made, indeed.

Now, I don't even pretend (see sig line, below).

Edited by Darth Meanie

You've spent $X on a hobby over how many days?  What's that translate to in a per day cost for X-Wing?  I hope you're not someone who needs a Starbucks or two everyday because if you make this calculation you may find your fancy coffee really needs to go as it costs too much.

You can look at your collections of "toys" and stress about how much you've spent on them but then really think about it.  You get some entertainment from them I hope otherwise why get them at all.  How would that cost compare to other things you might have spent your entertainment dollars on?  What do you still have to show for all of those other entertainment dollars you've spent?

I can look at my collection of RPG books, MtG cards, miniatures, and related items and think about the thousands spent on them but then just think of how much booze that could have purchased that probably would leave me with anything the next day except a hangover.  If that massive magpulse ever hits and wipes out all the electronics I've still got plenty to keep people entertained for years which you couldn't say with a lot of other things.

I ran the numbers and I am somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range. But, going into my 5th year of playing this game, 3000/4 is $750 a year. In terms of hobbies that's nothing. Car guys spend that on one part easy.

It looks bad if you think in terms of how much you would have to spend to replace it all. it averages around $62.5 a month (not including gifts). That's nothing to be ashamed of.

P.S. You can look at my spoiler and count up what my collection costs, if it would make you feel better.

Edited by Sergovan

'Value' is a subjective matter though. To some, $2000 is a crazy amount of money, to other's it's a crazy amount to spend on a hobby and to others it's merely a drop in the ocean.

What do you value more? An over seas flight? A few years of hobby time with friends and family, 500 beers/ coffees, a dent in your mortgage, a slightly better car than you might have got, etc, etc.

I see no value in drinking and smoking at the pub a few nights a week, my brother does as he values the social element of it.

Yea.. I keep a spreadsheet. I'm fully aware of how much I'm spending, and it's a lot. Doesn't get me in the red, and doesn't change my buying habits, tho: I have one money-grubbing hobby at a time, and X-wing is it right now (after having gone through phases of RPG books, PC parts, music equipment, all sorts of action figures, etc, over the years). I'm fine with the investment, it is fun to play, to theorize about the game, and the ships look cool on my shelf.

I fail to see logic here. Anyone can also calculate how much was spent on restraunts / movies / drinks / numerous other things we do for fun or relaxation. Guess what - board games are the same, and X-Wing is certainly not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, too. 

Problem is, some spendings are not very smart *looks at 5 Scyks on the shelf, starts crying*

Edited by SubOctavian