Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Star Trek Ascendancy

From all the talk here about this I decided to order a copy of my own. Pretty hyped since there isn't a lot besides SFB for tabletop Star Trek. Actually haven't had much of any good gameplay experience since STO started.

Ah for the days of Klingon Academy, 25th Anniversary, and Star Trek Wheel of Fortune!

From all the talk here about this I decided to order a copy of my own. Pretty hyped since there isn't a lot besides SFB for tabletop Star Trek. Actually haven't had much of any good gameplay experience since STO started.

Ah for the days of Klingon Academy, 25th Anniversary, and Star Trek Wheel of Fortune!

It is hard to make a good Star Trek game because the best Star Trek games sort of have to have some sort of Team management aspect along with ship management. I mean the Captain rarely flies the ship or shoots the phasers. Instead he gives the order to do so. Also the captain is not supposed to go on the away team/party but instead select the team. because of that I get the criticism that this game "isn't exactly Star Trek" but for me it holds the Aesthetic of Star Trek real well and in a 4x game the theme fits perfectly.

Still I think it would be a full game in its own right once the two faction expansions come out.

Yeah i really want the 2 expansions. I havnt played it in a while because w/o the ability to have more than 3 people or have some races not be in the game makes me afraid i'll get sick of the game quick.

3players houses all sorts of issues. 4players would negate most of that, 5 i think would take too long lol.

On 12/20/2016 at 1:03 PM, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah i really want the 2 expansions. I havnt played it in a while because w/o the ability to have more than 3 people or have some races not be in the game makes me afraid i'll get sick of the game quick.

3players houses all sorts of issues. 4players would negate most of that, 5 i think would take too long lol.

On 1/12/2017 at 7:01 AM, YwingAce said:

Bought it a little while ago, wasn't disappointed. It definitely goes a long time, but every bit of it is good fun. Really looking forward to seeing the Ferengi and Cardassians.

Indeed, the three player only limitation is making it very hard to get a game together.

So far the time for expansions in February.

Edited by Marinealver

They have been on preorder since late October, with the store date changing constantly.

I had a friend ask if we were going to play it again sometime. Told him i just really dont wanna play it without the expansions because 1) 3player issues 2) lack of variety w/o the 2 other races and 3) we ran out of systems EVERY GAME which i think is kinda bogus.

I want my Ferengi....lol...dunno why but ive always liked Ferengi and the playstyle they concocted for them just sings the way i usually play these games lol

On 1/23/2017 at 1:57 PM, Vineheart01 said:

They have been on preorder since late October, with the store date changing constantly.

I had a friend ask if we were going to play it again sometime. Told him i just really dont wanna play it without the expansions because 1) 3player issues 2) lack of variety w/o the 2 other races and 3) we ran out of systems EVERY GAME which i think is kinda bogus.

I want my Ferengi....lol...dunno why but ive always liked Ferengi and the playstyle they concocted for them just sings the way i usually play these games lol

Yeah, they couldn't make their products in time before the Lunar New Year holiday which is the Chinese equivalent of the Christmas Vacation block. But if you want more stuff to preorder (I'm starting to think GF9 is the boardgame equivalent of Capcom) They have announced the Borg as a NPC making the game Co-op.

C5DTYiLXUAE8izf.jpg

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/833398354268811266/photo/1

3 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

That's neat. Much better than trying to make the Borg a playable race. 

Plus, cute little Borg cubes. 

Because of the resource victory and the fact that the game spans Enterprise to Voyager/Nemesis you can put in the borg race that is both thematic and balanced. Set it up so they start isolated in the Delta quadrant but just as weak as the other ships (this is before the Constitution class was created after all), they have to assimilate for culture tokens, If they want to win by ascendancy or supremacy they have to research out of the delta quadrant by then they should be very scary and the strategy is to blitz through the Alpha quadrant before the other players win. Make it available for 4+ players only.

Borg as a playable race should never happen in any kind of game (except a borg focused one where the borg is you assimilating everything). Up until the last bits of Startrek lore a single Cube was a nightmare to face, requiring an entire fleet to take it down. Even towards the end of the shows/movies timeline the Borg was still a heavy threat, but a single cube could be dealt with 2-3 ships instead of a whole fleet. Basically they abused their inability to predict and only adapt and rapidly changed their weapons. Also when Voyager came back they got a ton of useful information and weaponry to deal with them more solidly.

I expect it to be the same in this game. One borg cube early on could easily wipe someone off the board if hes not given help, but once you have +3 shields +3 weapons you can fend them off yourself, though not without losses.

Heck it will probably be another victory clause. Destroy the borg ... i forgot the name of that giant monstrosity the Queen was found in ... and you win. Same thing as destroying the Antarens in MoO. Whether or not thats actually feasible before someone gets a culture victory is another question, since that always seems to block a conquest victory atm. Kinda hope they introduce a way to attack Ascendancy tokens because its kinda easy to sneak a win with it where your opponents only have like 4 turns to stop you by taking your homeworld.

Edited by Vineheart01

On 2/24/2017 at 9:26 AM, Vineheart01 said:

Borg as a playable race should never happen in any kind of game (except a borg focused one where the borg is you assimilating everything). Up until the last bits of Startrek lore a single Cube was a nightmare to face, requiring an entire fleet to take it down. Even towards the end of the shows/movies timeline the Borg was still a heavy threat, but a single cube could be dealt with 2-3 ships instead of a whole fleet. Basically they abused their inability to predict and only adapt and rapidly changed their weapons. Also when Voyager came back they got a ton of useful information and weaponry to deal with them more solidly.

I expect it to be the same in this game. One borg cube early on could easily wipe someone off the board if hes not given help, but once you have +3 shields +3 weapons you can fend them off yourself, though not without losses.

Heck it will probably be another victory clause. Destroy the borg ... i forgot the name of that giant monstrosity the Queen was found in ... and you win. Same thing as destroying the Antarens in MoO. Whether or not thats actually feasible before someone gets a culture victory is another question, since that always seems to block a conquest victory atm. Kinda hope they introduce a way to attack Ascendancy tokens because its kinda easy to sneak a win with it where your opponents only have like 4 turns to stop you by taking your homeworld.

In a 4x game Borg playable makes sense to me. In the Enterprise TOS Movies Borg were in the Delta quadrant. So you can make the borg start out just as weak as all the other civs and still be thematic. The Borg were never a known terror until the TNG-Voyager Era which is more of the late game. Same for the Dominion.

The things that do make it hard to fit is the trade since Borg don't trade they assimilate.

13 hours ago, Forresto said:

The Borg are great because they are legitimately scary whenever they show up. Hopefully the ones in this game are the borg of TNG and not Voyager though as I feel the latter made them less scary and more knowable. 

You could say the same thing about the Romulans in DS9. They were the terrors in TNG but in DS9 they got blown up like crazy by the Dominion.

Never got that impression. TNG never seemed to know what to do with the romulans. One episode they were mustache twirling bad guys, next the honorable warrior that you could respect and even like if they weren't enemies, and then back to cliche villains. Never had the idea that they were any more powerful than the federation though. 

DS9 at least treated them in a coherent and respectful manner so that you could suspend disbelief about them. Though it should be noted that the Dominion, which was kicking the ass of the combined fed and Klingon fleets, totally got knocked onto their back foot by the Roms. 

Have always been annoyed at STs treatment of the Romulans, they were always so much cooler than Klingons on TOS. At least I have the Rihannsu books by Diane Duane. 

Yeah TNG Romulans were kinda all over the place. The most common image i got from them was dirty backstabbers as even when the Federation was helping them they'd plot to destroy the Enterprise behind their back.

Pretty much the only "terror" i got from Romulans was the sheer size of the Warbirds compared to the Enterprise. Then later i learned they had even fewer of those than the Federation has of Galaxy class ships. I dont remember a single scene ever having more than 4 of those things at once. And even still their best weapon/defense was cloak and that could be somewhat countered.

2 hours ago, Brother Petius said:

Had thought about getting it but the 3+ players killed it for me

It will be 5 players once they finally release the 2 expansions. Going beyond 5 is probably a bad idea as it takes about an hour to an hour/half per player to play.

I dont know why those expansions are taking so dang long.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:00 AM, Vineheart01 said:

It will be 5 players once they finally release the 2 expansions. Going beyond 5 is probably a bad idea as it takes about an hour to an hour/half per player to play.

GF9 doesn't ahve the same manufacturing experience and connections with China as FFG does. Lets not forget even FFG has had some problems with delays upon delays of months even. But yeah the constant push back for ETA is getting annoying. 

On March 7, 2017 at 0:00 PM, Vineheart01 said:

I wouldn't mind more. They could limit it to five players but have more civilizations to choose from although there aren't really many more major powers left I can think of. 

The Dominion

The Tholians

The Gorn Hegemony

The Breen Confederacy (although they allied with the Dominon didnt they remain a separate entity?)