Force Majeure

A little bit of paint and a little bit of glue

On 2017-5-19 at 11:23 PM, Force Majeure said:

Two ships this time. A B & a Q.

Still trying to master "damage" 

Nice "lived-in" aesthetic you've achieved. 

WRT battle damage:

The scorch mark on the right - assuming it's a glancing blow rather than penetrating - the effect looks very good, just perhaps too heavy with the amount of black coverage (assuming, of course it's glancing, thus shouldn't leave too much residue). I don't think you're very far off achieving the right look. 

Paint chips on the left - the outer highlighting, black inner-edging and the shades of grey are relatively uniform in thickness (ie distance between each gradation) - however, the nature of this kind of damage should be more haphazard. If anything, you've possibly gone to too much effort trying to have that many layers being stripped back. Perhaps the lighter orange highlighting should not go the whole way around, instead using it in smaller amounts on one side of the damaged area, to give a sense of the direction of movement for the object that caused the damage. I think the black should be much less of the overall surface area of the damage - right now it seems to be forcing a sense of depth that doesn't match the other visual cues. Lastly, the panel lines "disappear" under the damaged sections, which makes it look the the exposed grey is on top of the main orange outer coat instead of underneath. 

I've painted this same ship four times, each time it looked worse and worse. I finally stripped it down to bare plastic, popped off the lasers and both sets of wings from the main fuselage. I know it's not as precise as some other painters out there, but I'm finally okay with it. Here it is, drawing inspiration from Rogue One's Blue Squadron.

413449713.jpg

413449714.jpg

Edited by Force Majeure

Also having been inspired by the coming expansion fix, I worked on this last night:

413449687.jpg

I basically chopped up a spare Khiraxz I have and made it look pretty close to the Vaksai version of the ship that I've seen. Mostly I removed material and re-positioned existing elements. The only thing I added were two short fins to give it a little bit more aggressive profile. Here it is next to my other Khiraxz for comparison.

413449685.jpg

413449686.jpg

413449682.jpg

Obviously, it isn't painted yet.

Edited by Force Majeure

On 5/19/2017 at 5:23 PM, Force Majeure said:

Two ships this time. A B & a Q.

20170519_090554_zpsjhgyjy03.jpg

20170519_090626_zpssvmnqntd.jpg

20170519_090724_zpsawtrbeka.jpg

Still trying to master "damage" 

20170519_091608_zpsai8vsvip.jpg

20170519_091621_zpsjrglctoq.jpg

20170519_091636_zpssfucb2qw.jpg

A trick for blast damage/scorch marks. Take a piece of paper and cut/tear a hole to the shape you want. Hold it very close to the surface but not touching and spray directly down on it using low pressure and very little paint. It should provide a soft edge for the scorch mark.

Here's the follow-up to the modded Kihraxz fighter.

413449677.jpg

Given those colors, I decided to give it a gloss on the top of the ship.

413449676.jpg

413449678.jpg

And if you were curious about what the undercarriage looks like, here you go. The model breaks apart into several smaller pieces. I chose not to replace the chunky bit that's normally slightly forward of the peg.

413449681.jpg

All in all, I really like the chopped look. I think I may do it again, but next time keep a more militaristic paint scheme.

Edited by Force Majeure

I guess no one remembers the Dave Chapelle movie "Half-Baked".

Anyways, I have a pair of U-wings to present. I really have hopes that a future upgrade will make this ship a force to be reckoned with, but as yet, in my experience it's still middle of the road. Cassian is my favorite pilot for the U. I usually have him running Expert Handling for extra maneuverability and Advanced Sensors so I can do my barrel roll, stress, and green maneuver that stress right off.

413449654.jpg

413449651.jpg

413449652.jpg

413449650.jpg

413449653.jpg

Edited by Force Majeure

Guest *SOLAR FLARE

I realy like the green and yellow combo. Looks like there are Rangers inside, ready to blow a comm tower. Some rocket pods would make an awesome addition.

I've been pretty lax about taking pics & uploading them, but here's my latest batch:

Auztuks! I like these guys. Not because they look like my mini-van, but because they're hearty. My biggest complaint is their lack of re-positioning. Also, I felt that notching the guns on the side of the cockpit really helped give them a more finished feel. The "standard" paint scheme just had a few small touches here and there. 

yIqUV37.jpg

w4o8TIo.jpg

Here is a repaint of an A-wing, and my latest T-65.

kwwR8uf.jpg

99tk06s.jpg

The 65's call sign is "Poacher" after having taken down the only Decimator to show up in Heroes of the Aturi Cluster on his maiden flight. I think he earned it: being the last to shoot meant that a lot of shots that he was lined up for got sniped out from under him. Taking down the Deci was fair payment.

Sg5lc3y.jpg

1h9ZNWa.jpg

Picked up Guns For Hire and although I love the paint schemes, I wanted to add a little polish to what came out of the box.

I added some metallic dry brush to both ships to add a little definition and the red StarViper looked a bit too flat, so I repainted the red panels, giving them a gradient from a dark red to a lighter red. Hope you enjoy.

6Cr805m.jpg