Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

As X-Wing wanes, whats next to play?

This one sounds interesting but wouldn't be mainstream enough to ever have people to play with other than that one guy you picked up of craigslist...

Depends on where you live, really.

It's quite popular over in Europe, although not really a huge surprise, given England and France fought wars for SO many decades using these ships.

However it's pretty popular in the US, too, more in the coastal areas - basically wherever the tall ships were historically coming and going.  (We just this past month started up a group for the Pacific Northwest - already 15 people, which seems decent for a handful of weeks life)

...course, every time you play it, makes you wish they'd have done another Master and Commander movie...

(Instead of the only sailing ships on screen being those ridiculous 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies...and we're getting another one of THOSE coming out, fer cryin' out loud!  *sigh*)

I'm still waiting for a decently accurate ye olde timey naval combat game to come to the PC.

I've heard good things about this one.

There is enough about it that I'm not going to pick it up, myself, plus - well, heck, that Sails of Glory game is totally solid for me.

But it's out there, and maybe something you'd find interesting?

I also love the Star Trek universe, but for me is a history of diplomacy not war. I also love the Dune and Foundation universes, but i known no wargames based on those universes.

In an hypothetical wane of xwing and armada, I could only hope for a resurgence of Battle Fleet Gothic.d1e8c5e9d72358f63d923cab1337eff7.jpg

@xanderf

That sounds really interesting, back when it started i read a little bit about it online but i never got it, might think about that.

@Draconis Hegemonia

A comeback of BFG is possibly now thanks to them reviving Speciliast Games.

This one sounds interesting but wouldn't be mainstream enough to ever have people to play with other than that one guy you picked up of craigslist...

Haha. Do what I do. Have enough miniatures to supply both (multiple) sides.

Mech Attack by Armor Grid gives my Mechwarriors from Wizards of the Coast a new life with a very well-worked out set of combat rules. X-Wing had taken my attention away from it, so if it waned, I may return.

Also enjoying CounterBlast miniatures game from Bombshell.

Edited by Ob3ron

Imagine a world where x -wing kind of declines slowly and you thirst for more.

You have a decent collection and you will still play the game of course. But its not enough anymore.you are ready for... something else.

[...]

Finish xwing collection. Enjoy all that extra cash you now get to keep.

It is interesting that you say this. I do have, in my opinion, a more than decent collection, and think now is a good time to cut back. Yep, it is partially about the cash. Of course there are a few other things that have been nudging me out.

I will still play. I've seldom play any game exclusively though it has happened.

We'll see what the future brings and how much extra cash I've kept.

I've been so busy with SAGA recently, I don't think I've played X Wing in probably three months? If X Wing were to disappear, I'd just play more SAGA! And Kings of War (seriously, if you're after a proper fantasy battles game, try Kings of War or 9th age, don't hang your hopes on this Runes game FFG is producing) Hail Caesar, and there's heaps of other games that look interesting: Frostgrave, Battle Troll, Swordpoint, Flames of War, Blood Eagle, Sword and Spear, L'art de la Guerre, etc etc. Also, Mantic have just put out a Historical version of their Kings of War game, so no doubt that will be as excellent as their Fantasy version.

Robotech (if I ever build the minis / they ever actually release wave 2)

Sigh.... Yeah.

I would very much like to work up rules and cards to use the flight path system with the robotech minis. Palladium's rules don't necessarily look "bad" (haven't actually played) but they do look singularly uninspired, like a mediocre game designer was just phoning it in.

X-Wing DID die around here.

So we started Warmahordes. Or at least some people did. Most folks are content to play with unpainted armies, but I am the painting guru so I kinda have to have it done. About the only mini that excited me is my Haley 2, though I did blurt out a surprised, "THESE HORSES HAVE WANGS!" while cleaning and patching the Cygnar Storm Lances. In a very crowded store. Seriously, first cavalry out of maybe seven different companies that didn't prefer mares exclusively.

I have over 100 Battletech minis split into four factions and I love Alpha Strike, and I'm thinking about trying to get people started on Malifaux up here as well. Running a Shadowrun and a Star Wars game, and playing in a D&D game that uses the Super Dungeon Explore chibi minis.

Lots of games to play. So little time.

Edited by iamfanboy

Currently have large collections-

X-Wing

DreadBall

Blood Bowl

Will be collecting over the next few years-

Star Wars: Destiny (November release)

Guild Ball (will jump in with the november release of the Kick off starter)

GKR: heavy hitters (Kickstarter drop early 2017)

On the fence-

Imperial Assault- (Close to pulling the trigger, I do have a few individual boosters for the minis, but hasnt fully grabbed me yet. The local interest is really growing fast however, so i will likely be pulled in.)

Infinity ( have been thinking about it long and hard for a while now, but not enough local support, or personal interest for me to take the plunge. If local interest grows, it might be enough to pull me in.)

Edited by JoeVandal49

I would enjoy the Beautiful minis, and paint some more :)

Haha. Do what I do. Have enough miniatures to supply both (multiple) sides.

This.

I have some 350 ships for this system:

pic1527528_md.jpg

It is gross fantasy. It is unbalanced. But it has as well the mechanics that more and more stuff on your ships is shot out of order, crippling them more and more (also fire spreading). And it is fun.

Guild Ball is gaining some following here in the SF Bay.

The miniatures come unpainted, so it's not a game that will ever get me, though.

There is even a starter set with 2 teams, all the tokens you need and a double sided gamingboard coming out for 69,99$.

I think i will start with Guildball then, i really liked Bloodbwol and Dreadball.