Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

As X-Wing wanes, whats next to play?

Imagine a world where x -wing kind of declines slowly and you thirst for more.

You have a decent collection and you will still play the game of course. But its not enough anymore.you are ready for... something else.

FFG new Runewars looks like it will be just in time to fill some shoes.

Maybe try something else that's popular now?

Resurrect an ancient game system from the book shelf and play that again?

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I'd play Tanks!, or maybe Middle Earth: The Wizards.  Got a bunch of board games gathering dust: Fortress America (the original, though I saw FFG rereleased it), Risk 2150, Axis & Allies, Shogun, Settlers of Catan (though annoyingly all the cardboard tiles for the island were cut offset by 1/4").

So many options.

Armada.

Imperial Assault.

Since it's release I've only been able to get in one game of Rebellion. I'd probably put more time into playing that.

Casually play the Game of Thrones LCG because it oozes theme. Especially in multiplayer.

Star Wars: Destiny, once it's out. Gonna build my dream team of Star Wars heroes or villains.

Keep an eye on Rune Wars in case they come out with a faction that I really want to play as. Warhammer and WH40K were far too expensive and complicated to get into, but Rune Wars might be something worth giving a shot given the lower starting cost.

Edited by Derpzilla88

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I'd play Tanks!, or maybe Middle Earth: The Wizards.  Got a bunch of board games gathering dust: Fortress America (the original, though I saw FFG rereleased it), Risk 2150, Axis & Allies, Shogun, Settlers of Catan (though annoyingly all the cardboard tiles for the island were cut offset by 1/4").

So many options.

A ghostbusters board game, kinda like Zombicide, but competitive. . .

X-wing did die off in my area for about a year.  Glad it came back.  I went to WWII gaming for a while.  Played Bolt Action until that game got power creep broken.  I'd find my friends to do some sort of gaming.  There is even an effort to bring Warhammer Fantasy back in my area.  I wouldn't need to buy anything as i have all the minis.  Same for all the various WWII games in either 15mm or 28mm.  

You have a decent collection and you will still play the game of course. But its not enough anymore.you are ready for... something else.

FFG new Runewars looks like it will be just in time to fill some shoes.

Maybe try something else that's popular now?

Resurrect an ancient game system from the book shelf and play that again?

Heroscape!!! It's what got me into miniatures!!! :D

I got plenty of other mini's games to keep me busy:

-The 9th Age ('open source' warhammer fantasty rules, starting to gather steam in my area, loving the revival)

-Armada (still have some stuff in boxes, but would easily take over X-Wing's spot if something disastrous happened to X-Wing)

-Imperial Assault (prefer the campaign, although skirmish is fun too, can't keep up with all the releases though)

-Warhammer 40k (several long time friends still have armies, although the power creep does put me off.  Hoping to try the new Chaos space marine stuff out for fun)

-Infinity (casually play with a couple friends off and on)

Ya, I have too many games.

I'd probably still play X-Wing a bunch with the ships I've collected over the last couple of years.  Maybe focus a bit more on missions and Epic rather than the standard 100 point format though.

I already play a few other games (Armada, Dice Masters, Warhammer 40k), so I expect they'd all get some more attention.  I enjoy but don't get much time to play a lot of the Mantic games, so Dreadball, Deadzone, and Kings of War would all actually get played more than once in a blue moon. :)

I've been burned out on X-WING for awhile. I rekindled my love of BattleTech with the Alpha Strike rules. Got Tanks!, But it's a bit too basic. Picked up some new board games. Then really did myself in: bought the new Kill Team box and Space Marine codex. Oops. I'm supposed to play in an X-WING Tournament this weekend at a new store that I helped organize, but I am thinking of bailing to stay home and build some Black Templars instead.

I got plenty of other mini's games to keep me busy:

-The 9th Age ('open source' warhammer fantasty rules, starting to gather steam in my area, loving the revival)

-Armada (still have some stuff in boxes, but would easily take over X-Wing's spot if something disastrous happened to X-Wing)

-Imperial Assault (prefer the campaign, although skirmish is fun too, can't keep up with all the releases though)

-Warhammer 40k (several long time friends still have armies, although the power creep does put me off.  Hoping to try the new Chaos space marine stuff out for fun)

-Infinity (casually play with a couple friends off and on)

Ya, I have too many games.

Just dug out my vampire counts to play some 9th age :)

I've been burned out on X-WING for awhile. I rekindled my love of BattleTech with the Alpha Strike rules. Got Tanks!, But it's a bit too basic. Picked up some new board games. Then really did myself in: bought the new Kill Team box and Space Marine codex. Oops. I'm supposed to play in an X-WING Tournament this weekend at a new store that I helped organize, but I am thinking of bailing to stay home and build some Black Templars instead.

Black Templars are awesome, sadly they do not have a own codex anymore.

If FFG stops making X-Wing i can still play with what i have and if no one here plays it anymore, there are so many other good board, card and miniatures wargame out there that i will surely find something to spend my money on. And who knows perhaps Gamezone will then finally have released Hero Quest 25 one can still hope ;)

Edited by Iceeagle85

Sailing ships!

pic3190520_md.jpg

I've actually been playing a lot of Sails of Glory, lately.  The game works well for doing age-of-sail combat, specifically handling the maneuvering driven by wind *incredibly* well.

And another thing I like is that the ships degrade in capability and ability to perform actions as they take damage - this is something I actually found REALLY preferable to how the ships are handled in Star Wars Armada.  You can see USS Constitution damage track, here, recently having the crap kicked out of her by the British...

pic3200806_md.jpg

...shes down to a full broadside of 3 chits (she starts at 6), with off-angle shots of only 2 (these start at 4).  Similarly, the lowest of either the crew or hull damage determines actions left - she can only take 2 actions a turn, instead of the 4 she starts with.  This becomes a HUGE problem when you have to have crew pumping water to stop leaks, trying to put out fires, if you want to repair any damage, reload guns, fire guns, increase sails or reduce sails, etc...and only having 2 actions to plan...

Anyway, like noted, THAT is really what got me into this game over Armada.  Not that Armada doesn't look great and all, but the ships being in pristine fighting condition (barring crits) until *pop* - no more ship.  I dunno, just rubs me the wrong way.

At least, for 'big ships'.  It doesn't feel like as much of a problem in X-Wing, as these are tiny one-man (more or less) fighters.  That they remain in basically perfectly-fine working condition (barring the rare crit) until they suddenly pop is...basically how fighters work.  It feels completely wrong for big ships, though.

Sailing ships!

pic3190520_md.jpg

I've actually been playing a lot of Sails of Glory, lately.  The game works well for doing age-of-sail combat, specifically handling the maneuvering driven by wind *incredibly* well.

And another thing I like is that the ships degrade in capability and ability to perform actions as they take damage - this is something I actually found REALLY preferable to how the ships are handled in Star Wars Armada.  You can see USS Constitution damage track, here, recently having the crap kicked out of her by the British...

pic3200806_md.jpg

...shes down to a full broadside of 3 chits (she starts at 6), with off-angle shots of only 2 (these start at 4).  Similarly, the lowest of either the crew or hull damage determines actions left - she can only take 2 actions a turn, instead of the 4 she starts with.  This becomes a HUGE problem when you have to have crew pumping water to stop leaks, trying to put out fires, if you want to repair any damage, reload guns, fire guns, increase sails or reduce sails, etc...and only having 2 actions to plan...

Anyway, like noted, THAT is really what got me into this game over Armada.  Not that Armada doesn't look great and all, but the ships being in pristine fighting condition (barring crits) until *pop* - no more ship.  I dunno, just rubs me the wrong way.

At least, for 'big ships'.  It doesn't feel like as much of a problem in X-Wing, as these are tiny one-man (more or less) fighters.  That they remain in basically perfectly-fine working condition (barring the rare crit) until they suddenly pop is...basically how fighters work.  It feels completely wrong for big ships, though.

This one sounds interesting but wouldn't be mainstream enough to ever have people to play with other than that one guy you picked up of craigslist...