Sign in to follow this  
berserkwerewolf

IG-100 MagnaGuard PC Ooh!

Hi! I am in a FaD/EotE game and one of the players wants to play as a fearsome IG-100 MagnaGuard, one of the droids made to combat the Jedi Order during the clone wars, the problem is; in order to take talents like parry he must take a Force Sensitive Specialization such as Makashi Duelist, or Shii-Cho Knight. So I ask you, as a droid can the player take one of these specializations, buy a/some force talent(s), and continue the tree? I know full and well he would not be able to use the Force Talents, but can he still take the specialization and talents?

Edited by berserkwerewolf

Try not to take the talent name too literally.

The Parry talent simply provides a means of damage mitigation. It's very clear what can and what cannot be used to parry. Everything else is flavor text.

Edited by kaosoe

"Parry" itself does not necessarily mean "meeting one's blade with your own." In a general sense, the word "parry" means "to ward off." It connotes a counter-move, which could definitely entail some blade-on-blade action, but it could also mean any number of other ways of using your opponent's attack against them.

So RAW is sensible and sound in this case :)

Shi-Cho is a solid choice for your Droid. Makashi Duelist or Armourer make for great second specs too. Supreme Armour Master is an awesome talent for reducing the nasty crits that some Lightsabers can lay down, and all those ranks of Parry from Makashi are very useful too.

The 4th spec thats quite useful is Defender, with 3 easy ranks of Parry and 2 ranks of Defensive stance its quite solid in melee, but the Dedication is rather expensive to get to for a Droid.

As far as what can Parry what, well the core rule book is quite clear.

I would suggest starting in the bounty hunter career actually, and waiting for the BH book to drop. Start in bodyguard or marauder and when the BH book comes out, hopefully, there will be a spec that has parry in it without needing to waste points on talents you can't use.

The above suggestions are solid, I just think BH got the last spec book because they needed to wait to release it with a parry based spec.

At least, I really hope. :)

Hi! I am in a FaD/EotE game and one of the players wants to play as a fearsome IG-100 MagnaGuard, one of the droids made to combat the Jedi Order during the clone wars, the problem is; in order to take talents like parry he must take a Force Sensitive Specialization such as Makashi Duelist, or Shii-Cho Knight. So I ask you, as a droid can the player take one of these specializations, buy a/some force talent(s), and continue the tree? I know full and well he would not be able to use the Force Talents, but can he still take the specialization and talents?

No, you can't take any of the Specializations from Force and Destiny unless you have a Force Rating of at least 1.

Choosing a career from FaD grants you a Force Rating of 1 to start, that's the typical way to get a FaD specialization.

Non FaD careers must take one of the universal specializations, Exile or Emergent, in order to gain a Force Rating.

Only after having a Force Rating can they purchase a Specialiation from the Force and Destiny books.

Page 279 of the FaD core has the pertinent rules:

"A Force-sensitive character is any character with a Force rating of 1 or higher. A character must be Force-sensitive to select certain specialization trees and particular talents."

Droids can not gain a Force Rating, so they can not take any of the Specializations that require one.

They also can not take the Force Sensitive Exile or Emergent trees because they can not become Force Sensitive.

This is stated specifically!

Luckily, GMs can invent custom stuff!

How I would handle this if it came up in the game I am currently running: I would create a custom modification he can install to a chassis hardpoint.

Doing so gives him a 1 or 2 column talent tree that he has to attach to the side of one of his specializations the way people attach Signature Abilities to the bottom.

So it would have 5 tiers, each with one or two talents. Plenty of room for you to put multiple ranks of Parry and Reflect and some other interesting things.

In the version I am imagining, none of the tiers connect downward, only to the side!

That means he has to purchase a tier 2 talent in his current tree in order to access the tier 2 parry talent in his special mod tree, etc.

This will serve so his defensive abilities will gradually increase along with the rest of his talents instead of taking one straight shot down to pick them all up at once.

Rationale for why he can't just create a custom inherent parry mod and use mechanics to augment it 5 times? Besides the in-game effects of too much power gain too fast without an experience investment, I would tell him that since the clones wars the software for fighting defensively against dangerous melee weapons such as lightsabers has grown increasingly rare. His logical robotic mind will have to slowly develop the code by experiencing combat situations. I'm assuming he is a rebuilt magna-guard or if he was kept in storage his software degraded or had to be replaced for any number of reasons.

Edited by Vulf

I thought it was determined that you can choose F&D specs without a Force rating. Still can't use Force talents though. Did this change?

Last I checked Sam Stewart has said as much. You can select a specialization but do not get the benefits of any of the Force talents until you gain a force rating via one of the universal specs.

"A Force-sensitive character is any character with a Force rating of 1 or higher. A character must be Force-sensitive to select certain specialization trees and particular talents."

I suspect the above quote is potential future proofing. No specialization (to my knowledge) has been explicitly prohibited to anyone.

Maybe they wanted to leave it there in case of something coming up in the future.

My guess is that initially came up in the development of EotE, when FaD was still on the horizon, and they weren't 100% how the careers and specs for FaD would shake out.  So they figured it was best to cover their butts ahead of time while they could.

The "certain specializations" that droids can't take would probably be Force Sensitive Emergent and Force Sensitive Exile.

Thought I heard it said on an O66 that a droid PC could take those specs, but they just wouldn't get a whole lot of use out of them given how many talents require a Force Rating.

The "certain specializations" that droids can't take would probably be Force Sensitive Emergent and Force Sensitive Exile.

Thought I heard it said on an O66 that a droid PC could take those specs, but they just wouldn't get a whole lot of use out of them given how many talents require a Force Rating.

Hmmm...I do remember posing the question, myself, about whether a droid could purchase the FS Exile spec, and I thought that the answer was kinda like "no, it's not really appropriate..." But I don't even remember what episode it was! It was definitely in the earlier days of the system. I could be mistaken about the content of the question as well. lol. I'm sure it was answered by Sam Stewart in any case. 

Anyone willing to do some digging...?

:D

And heck, what with the Force usage rules fully fleshed out with FaD, the dev response could well be a different one nowadays.