Sign in to follow this  
jangopool

Dengtress

Been seeing a lot of Manaroo use along with Asajj various pairings. Been thinking/tinkering with this list:

Asajj

PTL+Gyroscopic Targeting+Ketsu Onyo+Shadow Caster

Dengar

Lone Wolf+Counter-Measures+Zuckuss+Punishing One+R5P8

This gives the heavy hitting Dengar in a list with a tanky 'support' ship where Asajj's sole purpose is to tractor those that Dengar targets and with Ketsu, those tractor beams will still be around the next round when Dengar can shoot first.

I originally tried a similar list with Manaroo, but felt Dengar can do more oomph with his ability.

Thoughts?

Zuckuss on Dengar is not remotely as good without Manaroo. And Ventress generally does better with Engine Upgrade -- her ability means that you shouldn't mind spending an action to swing her arc, it's auto-stress to enemies in range. It's not nearly as effective having to wait until post-combat.

I agree with the nerd :)

Ventress is so good, I think she deserves a full build - Engine & K4.

Can't understate the importance of Engine, though specifically with PTL.

K4, Dengar (obviously not in the above list), or Latts are all perfect crew for her.

I tend to go for the offensive option, but I'll test Latts soon.

Agreed. She loves k4, as she rarely performs more than one or so non-white maneuvers in a game. Dengar is obviously the safer bet, but I almost feel K4 is ... better? I don't know. I've had reds whiff on me so many times that I see a huge difference between one reroll and 3-4 against a scout, for instance. 

Looks like Dengar might not be a good counter part to Asajj. What do you think of this list?

Asajjaroo

Asajj

PTL+Engine Upgrade+K4+Shadow Caster+BMST

Manaroo

Deadeye+Proton Torps+Extra Munitions+Guidance Chips+Boba Fett+Punishing One+R4 Agromech

or

Deadeye+Proton Torps+Extra Munitions+Guidance Chips+K4+Punishing One+Unhinged

Edited by jangopool

There is nothing wrong with not having EU on Ventress. She doesn't need it. The gyro is good for her. I personally like Tactican on her. Now you can stress someone twice or you can stress two ships. Good control on her part. Now I have been running 4-Lom with Ketso. It's really good and really fun.

Looks like Dengar might not be a good counter part to Asajj. What do you think of this list?

Asajjaroo

Asajj

PTL+Engine Upgrade+K4+Shadow Caster+BMST

Manaroo

Deadeye+Proton Torps+Extra Munitions+Guidance Chips+Boba Fett+Punishing One+R4 Agromech

or

Deadeye+Proton Torps+Extra Munitions+Guidance Chips+K4+Punishing One+Unhinged

Theres nothing wrong with den/asajj, only different tactics.

You're opponent is likey to try and focus asajj so dengars effectiveness is reduced, leaving you to run with her while deng grinds them down. If on the otherhand the attack dengar happy days! You get a ton of extra reds while asajj works on reducing the priority threat's greens.

I'd be inclinder to swap some bits though.

Asajj

Vet instints

Shadow caster

K4

Gyro targeting

Inertial dampners

Dengar

Adaptability -1

K4

Unhinged astro

Punishing one

Countermeasures

Both ps8 so you can shoot 1st with ventress and not have to worry about the ketsu arc and the k4's to provide action economy on 2 very green dials.

There is nothing wrong with not having EU on Ventress. She doesn't need it. The gyro is good for her. I personally like Tactican on her. Now you can stress someone twice or you can stress two ships. Good control on her part. Now I have been running 4-Lom with Ketso. It's really good and really fun.

Gyro is sub-optimal on Ventress, as it just makes it easier to dodge her ability, which you want to trigger every turn. Using an action to adjust the arc later in the activation phase is a MUCH more consistent way to trigger the ability. You can adjust by using the mobile firing arc's action, or boosting to shift it as needed, AND you get the bonus of being able to arc dodge or block, depending on enemy PS.

Sure, Gyro isn't the worst thing ever, but it leaves you with FAR fewer options. I really only think Gyro is worth it on Sabine, honestly, because she's going to be using her only action to focus.

Gyro gives away the game too early. Not just before high PS perform their maneuver, but before EVERYONE even touches their dial. Gyro, to me, is meant as a budget upgrade. With all that green Ventress can just take PtL and K4, enjoy 3 actions a round, and also has better positioning ability so you may not even need to Rotate Arc as an action.

Gyro is sub-optimal on Ventress, as it just makes it easier to dodge her ability, which you want to trigger every turn. Using an action to adjust the arc later in the activation phase is a MUCH more consistent way to trigger the ability. You can adjust by using the mobile firing arc's action, or boosting to shift it as needed, AND you get the bonus of being able to arc dodge or block, depending on enemy PS.

Sure, Gyro isn't the worst thing ever, but it leaves you with FAR fewer options. I really only think Gyro is worth it on Sabine, honestly, because she's going to be using her only action to focus.

Or you can use it as a fake out move. More control on your part. Plus if the are double or triple stressed they are limited to what they are doing anyways. So pointing out the way you are going isn't so bad half the time anyways. It's a an action that can't be denied. You can always do it. That's why it's nice. If you get double stressed you can still do it provided you do a 3,4,5 move. Pretty useful to get her ability off it that type of situation. I would say. But ymmv. I just know I have never missed EU on her and probably never will with the build I use. Edited by Rasputindarksyde

Or you can use it as a fake out move. More control on your part. Plus if the are double or triple stressed they are limited to what they are doing anyways. So pointing out the way you are going isn't so bad half the time anyways. It's a an action that can't be denied. You can always do it. That's why it's nice. If you get double stressed you can still do it provided you do a 3,4,5 move. Pretty useful to get her ability off it that type of situation. I would say. But ymmv. I just know I have never missed EU on her and probably never will with the build I use.

"Fake out move" ... and not trigger her ability.

More control... except you're not "controlling" anything, and still lose ships in your arc (or have to spend your action to moving it).

Action that can't be denied... You're right, but to your detriment, because you're predictable, and it honestly doesn't guarantee any form of success (note: neither does EU, so this is an even point).

If you get stressed... You're still boned, because no one is going to be silly enough to fly into your advertised kill zone, which you can't in any way alter due to stress (note: another mood point, as EU doesn't help there any... Though it MAY allow you to get out of "stress zones" to begin with).

This is really not a "YMMY" situation. EU is better, Gyro is cheaper. Anyone can play what they want, but loving a Scyk doesn't make it better than... anything else.

And, again, on non-Ketsu and non-Ventress pilots, I think Gyro is pretty fantastic. But on the big two, it's not the ideal modification.

Edit: The real argument is this:

Ketsu rarely wants to move her arc. EU allows her to adjust both arcs somewhat.

Ventress wants to ALWAYS be handing out that stress, which means she will likely be spending her actions often on adjusting the arc, so Gyro is redundant. And, again, EU has other fringe benefits, outside of arc repositioning.

Edited by ArbitraryNerd

Or you can use it as a fake out move. More control on your part. Plus if the are double or triple stressed they are limited to what they are doing anyways. So pointing out the way you are going isn't so bad half the time anyways. It's a an action that can't be denied. You can always do it. That's why it's nice. If you get double stressed you can still do it provided you do a 3,4,5 move. Pretty useful to get her ability off it that type of situation. I would say. But ymmv. I just know I have never missed EU on her and probably never will with the build I use.

"Fake out move" ... and not trigger her ability.More control... except you're not "controlling" anything, and still lose ships in your arc (or have to spend your action to moving it).Action that can't be denied... You're right, but to your detriment, because you're predictable, and it honestly doesn't guarantee any form of success (note: neither does EU, so this is an even point).If you get stressed... You're still boned, because no one is going to be silly enough to fly into your advertised kill zone, which you can't in any way alter due to stress (note: another mood point, as EU doesn't help there any... Though it MAY allow you to get out of "stress zones" to begin with).

This is really not a "YMMY" situation. EU is better, Gyro is cheaper. Anyone can play what they want, but loving a Scyk doesn't make it better than... anything else.

And, again, on non-Ketsu and non-Ventress pilots, I think Gyro is pretty fantastic. But on the big two, it's not the ideal modification.

Edit: The real argument is this:

Ketsu rarely wants to move her arc. EU allows her to adjust both arcs somewhat.

Ventress wants to ALWAYS be handing out that stress, which means she will likely be spending her actions often on adjusting the arc, so Gyro is redundant. And, again, EU has other fringe benefits, outside of arc repositioning.

No what I mean in Fake out move is. Moving it for free at the end phase. Let's say moving it to the left arc. Showing that you might be turning left. Instead you right turn3. Now with PTL you can TL and move your arc again. Setting up the arc in the rear or your right depending on what you think they might be doing. That's what I mean fake out. It works.

No you are controlling ships when they are double stressed. If you know their greens then they are most likely going to do one of those. Which helps set up your moves or arcs with Gyro. They are stressed so therefore can't do action to help get them out of arcs via barrel rolls or boost. Hence control.

Again I have never said man I wish Ventress had EU. But if you feel she needs it then that's the way you play her. But I have only lost one game with her. Out of 10 or so. That was to Dash. Although he only had 2 hull with 3 shield left. If I could have gotten a two more BMST's on him it would have been done.

I have not try any other pilot yet with the ship so I can say for sure whether or not EU would be useful on those ships. But still feel pretty good about Gyro over EU on Ventress.