Vector

If a new faction was to be introduced, which would you want to see?

I think any new factions would dilute the game, Scum and Villainy is such a cool faction to add and widens the game just enough. FFG has so much they can do with the factions they have, especially with Star Wars Rebels and all the new movies

HOWEVER

I'd really like to see FFG make a different game very similar to x-wing with the prequel stuff. I just wouldn't want X-Wing to go the way of Warhammer40k.

THAT BEING SAID your question was Hypothetically if they did add them which factions. Galactic Republic, and CIS. I think there would be soo much potential for some synergistic driod ships. I imagine a whole faction of IG-88 type titles and upgrades the synergy would be amazing!

Also Imagine how many unique pilots you could put on the Jedi Interceptors Delta 7 and eta 2. 

Or the Gunship!! Amazing Amazing gunship!

Then you've got those Naboo fighters and big ships.

That Sith Stealth ship that Darth Maul has!!

I rest my case.

honestly i could see the Trade Federation and the Jedi Order being their own faction because a lot of the ships flown in the clone wars could be argued they belong to rebels AND imperials at the same time, while a ton of them would make more sense as Scum (droids) despite flying along side the ships that were given to the Imperials/Rebels. It would just remove so much confusion lol.

I highly, highly doubt it though. For one, theyre not being developed anymore so once they release the ~10 ships they have, thats it. Same with any old faction. Old Republic could technically pump out whatever hte hell they wanted since thats largely considered "Starwars universe but not starwars" so you can do whatever the hell you want (and personally i prefer the kotor stories to the movies). Problem there being is even if it is a game thats what thousands of years difference? Refitting an ARC can be done because its only a few decades to max a century old, but how on earth would anything from Old Republic stand to the more modern crap lol even the very alloys used in the hull would be inferior. "Its a game" can only go so far :P

honestly i could see the Trade Federation and the Jedi Order being their own faction because a lot of the ships flown in the clone wars could be argued they belong to rebels AND imperials at the same time, while a ton of them would make more sense as Scum (droids) despite flying along side the ships that were given to the Imperials/Rebels. It would just remove so much confusion lol.

I highly, highly doubt it though. For one, theyre not being developed anymore so once they release the ~10 ships they have, thats it. Same with any old faction. Old Republic could technically pump out whatever hte hell they wanted since thats largely considered "Starwars universe but not starwars" so you can do whatever the hell you want (and personally i prefer the kotor stories to the movies). Problem there being is even if it is a game thats what thousands of years difference? Refitting an ARC can be done because its only a few decades to max a century old, but how on earth would anything from Old Republic stand to the more modern crap lol even the very alloys used in the hull would be inferior. "Its a game" can only go so far :P

The thing is space faring is tens of thousand of years old (if I remember correctly which I probably don't 60k years by the time of Star Wars), so I'm not entirely sure the technology would be that much more advanced than during the Old Republic, also I think that things may have regressed and got lost in the intervening years... Take a look at Ancient Greece. A lot of the learning the Greeks had was lost in the interim time... But I think the Old Republic would work better as a self contained game.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

The thing is space faring is tens of thousand of years old (if I remember correctly which I probably don't 60k years by the time of Star Wars), so I'm not entirely sure the technology would be that much more advanced than during the Old Republic, also I think that things may have regressed and got lost in the intervening years... Take a look at Ancient Greece. A lot of the learning the Greeks had was lost in the interim time... But I think the Old Republic would work better as a self contained game.

X-Wing 2.0 --- otherwise known as X-Wing: Old Republic.

Essentially the same game only with a bunch of the fixes FFG has noticed but either cant implement fully (mobile arcs vs turrets) or simply cant fix at all without new cards (bad statlines)

The thing i love about the old republic is its not bound to the sh*tty movies. They do what they want for THAT story for THAT game and it flows wonderfully because they dont have to shoehorn in a piece of the movies. SWTOR was actually a very VERY good game to play alone, even though its an MMO because it has such a great story and gameplay aspects, much like KOTOR. SWTOR was just plagued by funding cuts and some bad decisions mmo-wise.

FFG could make a game in that era and have almost complete creative freedom. Almost because Disney would probably put a lot of shoehorns in their plans. Doubt it'd ever happen though.

Edited by Vineheart01

The Infinite Empire vanished in 25000 BBY. That was when Humans and Duros reverse engineered Hyperdrives from Rakata ships.

Of course there was some interstellar travel before that. But it was limited to sleeper ships, hyperspace cannons (working like Mass Relays in Mass Effect) and presumably some kind of warp drive. 

Yep, after 25000 years of interstellar travel there wouldn't be much technological development. And indeed things like shields, blasters, lasers (which are actually plasma weapons in the SW universe), turbolasers, are around for thousand of years. Because they are the nonplusultra in SW. So very few new technologies were invented, like Proton Torpedoes but that doesn't mean the established techs didn't improve. The power generation and output increased drasticly in these millenia. 

I'd even argue, that an 4 ABY X-Wing could take in a Hammerhead-Class Cruiser (~3000 BBY) alone ;)

I really think the only way for new factions to appear is if a dramatically weird thing shows up in Episode VIII.

Rebels, Empire, and Scum pretty well encompass all existing characters who are actually alive at the same time as Luke Skywalker.

If they had to go and release a fully new Faction like they did with S&V, some kind of neutral Security or Mercenary faction would probably be the best. There are a number of designs which are used by corporations, paramilitary groups and security forces who are not Scum but also may or may not work with the Empire or Rebels (or their sub-factions). All kinds of groups could fall under this banner, CorSec, CSA, Hapes Consortium, Naboo Royal Guard - even just generic PDF units or sector rangers. At the moment though a lot of that material is Legends, so probably not likely to be on anybody's high priority list just to move models - even if some ships which could be in this which have already been in the RPG lines might make neat minis. 

Like the HLF-500

HLAF-500_SoF.jpg

Exogorths!

Just when you thought you could deal with asteroids and debris...

Hothslug.JPG

Some of my games have felt like the rocks were the winning team anyway.  Why not make them an ACTUAL team!

Edited by spacebug

The Vong fit as a 4th faction because they are pretty much against everybody, but they don't have enough ships (thankfully). With the new canon, it is possible the Vong never existed in the first place (also thankfully?).

they never existed. Say it and you'll feel better.

They. Never. Existed.

For X-Wing I would love to have GAtR fighters as light side forces and CIS ships as dark side forces.

Hapes would fit the idea of scum, they started as space pirates anyway and would be another nice major subfaction outside of mandalore, blacksun and the hutts. And the only one not part of the shadow collective. ^_°

my issue with the Vong is theyre basically starwars version of Tyranids arent they? theyre all biological, hive-minded creatures rather than a technological race?

They would have to have their own upgrade system, because the current one wouldnt make sense on them.

The fourth faction that should be added to the game is Team Gunboat. All Gunboats, all the time.

You've got:

-the vanilla Gunboat

-a Gunboat with a lighter paint job

-Gunboat with red spot and antenna

-Gunboat with wings angled differently

And many more.

Instant hit, guaranteed.