Vector

If a new faction was to be introduced, which would you want to see?

If hypothetically FFG were to introduce a new faction, which would you like to see added?

If they were to introduce one, they would of course possibly need to also release a new core set like they did for the Resistance and First Order, or a new major expansion like with the Most Wanted pack for Scum and Villainy.

Out of the existing major factions, these are the ones they could consider:

*Galactic Republic (Prequel era)

*Confederacy of Independant Systems

*Ssi-ruuvi Imperium

*Hapes Consortium

*Yuuzhan Vong

*Sith Empire

*Galactic Republic (Old Rebublic era)

*Xim's Empire

*Infinite Empire

*Eternal Empire

I've placed the Galactic Republic into two different factions, however they could easily be the same faction despite featuring ships millennia apart, and if different factions could still be combined together like with the Rebel Alliance & Resistance and Empire & First Order.

Whilst the Zann Consortium were also a major faction during the GCW, they were mainly a criminal organization like the Hutt Cartel so can be combined with Scum and Villainy.

Other factions like the Chiss Ascendency & Pentastar Allignment can be combined with the Galactic Empire, the Trade Federation with the Confederacy, Royal Naboo with the Republic, and Revan, Exar & Marka's Sith with the Sith Empire.

Though the Vong, Hapes and Sii-ruuvi may have various ships to their faction, only a handful of them have featured any sort of visual depiction, but it could be up to FFG to design them based on their descriptions and specs.

Discuss the topic and who you think could be added if FFG were to ever come to that decision.

Edited by Vector

What would be the point?

Any of those could be placed easily into any of the three existing factions (with the exception of the Yuuzhan Vong).  And none of those factions individually have enough of a draw or appeal to compete with the existing ones.  "The Galactic Empire", "The Rebel Alliance", and "Scum and Villainy" have a certain elegance to them.

Also, adding more factions would just dilute the options available.  Every new wave would need to have more ships to cater to more factions.  Just in this last wave has Scum really hit its full complement of ships, and we still haven't seen an epic for them.  Adding another new faction would mean another 4-5 waves with an increased count for the new faction to bring them up to the proper number and variety of ships.

Diluting the big three would just weaken the game overall.

What would be the point?

Any of those could be placed easily into any of the three existing factions (with the exception of the Yuuzhan Vong). And none of those factions individually have enough of a draw or appeal to compete with the existing ones. "The Galactic Empire", "The Rebel Alliance", and "Scum and Villainy" have a certain elegance to them.

Also, adding more factions would just dilute the options available. Every new wave would need to have more ships to cater to more factions. Just in this last wave has Scum really hit its full complement of ships, and we still haven't seen an epic for them. Adding another new faction would mean another 4-5 waves with an increased count for the new faction to bring them up to the proper number and variety of ships.

Diluting the big three would just weaken the game overall.

Of course. If they were to bring a new faction in, it would be more appropriate in maybe 5 years time, once more ships for the current 5 factions have been released, especially for Scum and Villainy. Edited by Vector

The Prequel factions (Galactic Republic and CIS) have enough ships to makes new factions and wouldn't fit as subfactions of any of the existent 3. Also the Old Republic/Sith Empire era stuff, but this is less mainstream and would feel strange in the table alongside character from millenniums later .

The Vong fit as a 4th faction because they are pretty much against everybody, but they don't have enough ships (thankfully). With the new canon, it is possible the Vong never existed in the first place (also thankfully?).

There would be a great chance for the 2 Prequel factions IF Disney didn't take over and decided to do 1 film/year. With so many new canon stuff showing up, this game doesn't need new factions (but I hope there is a S&V subfaction in the sequel trilogy in the years to come - just for symmetry).

Edited by Odanan

It could be interesting to have semi-neutral mini-factions that operate similarly to mercenaries, and could be taken by any main faction in addition to their standard ships.

One example could be the Chiss; they cooperated with the Empire and New republic at different times in the EU.  It'd be justifiable to see them aligned with the Rebels or Empire.  But I kind of doubt that we'll see FFG go fishing so deep into the old EU when there is so much new material coming out in new movies and shows.

Maybe the Clone War factions could stand alone but otherwise you're diving into Legends and likely picking out ships that few people have ever heard about much less seen images of.

The idea of more sub-factions could make sense especially as far as the Scum are concerned but unless you see sub-faction specific stuff it wouldn't matter much beyond specific play restrictions.

The Vong fit as a 4th faction because they are pretty much against everybody, but they don't have enough ships (thankfully). With the new canon, it is possible the Vong never existed in the first place (also thankfully?).

Either in the TFA novelisation or in 'Before the Awakening' Fin mentions an unknow species from beyond the unknown regions attacking First Order assets in the Outer Rim. 

On the opening question: As a big EU fan I'd be happy to See either the Vong or the Hapes Konsortium as an additional faction.

A game featuring Old Republic era ships would also be great.

Edited by RogueLeader42

Old Republic / Sith Empire.

They would fit into the existing factions just like the First Order and Resistance do, easily enough.

I could then get my Sith Fury I've been dieing for. The Decimator is a close substitute, but not quite.

Sith Fighters look pretty sweet, too.

Wookiees or nothin'!

I figure maybe someday we might get a SUB faction for S&V... but it seems like a headache to make sense. Scum covers a diverse group of 'types' so maybe a sub-faction that clumps the organized-crime/corporate-baddies together (that's the only reasonable separation I can think of).

BUT I think FFG will need a good reason to do it other than "it can be done". If a movie or SW Rebels depicts a major scummy group making a big impact on the story. (If the Shadow Collective gets back together- or something like that) Because of marketing.