Sign in to follow this  
Vigil

The Empire is evil.

Those who live on Coruscant, Corellia, or other core planets are likely going to feel the weight of the New Order more than others, and certain local planets that have special import or that offer special provocation will likely not do too well (Alderaan, Lothal, etc.). The vast majority probably actually saw an improvement, as bureaucratic excesses and corruption were curbed and many of the pervasive criminal enterprises that would have inhibited their lives would have been suppressed.

While I like your logic, that doesn't agree with the films. Luke expresses a strong dislike of the empire in ANH. The empire is apparently intrusive and unjust enough that an idealistic, flighty teenager on an unutterably insignificant backwater planet has developed a negative opinion of it.

Those who live on Coruscant, Corellia, or other core planets are likely going to feel the weight of the New Order more than others, and certain local planets that have special import or that offer special provocation will likely not do too well (Alderaan, Lothal, etc.). The vast majority probably actually saw an improvement, as bureaucratic excesses and corruption were curbed and many of the pervasive criminal enterprises that would have inhibited their lives would have been suppressed.

While I like your logic, that doesn't agree with the films. Luke expresses a strong dislike of the empire in ANH. The empire is apparently intrusive and unjust enough that an idealistic, flighty teenager on an unutterably insignificant backwater planet has developed a negative opinion of it.

I'm actually of the opinion that Luke was more regurgitating things his friends said than saying anything original. You don't see any imperial presence on the planet until they land sandtroopers to try to find the escaped droids. Given the later canon regarding the Hutts, I doubt the Empire cared to have much of a permanent presence there. However, Luke spent all of his free time (such as Uncle Owen allowed him to have) with his friends in trader or spacer settlements like Anchorhead. Those are breeding grounds for rumor and unrest, especially on the outskirts of civilized space where those who are most sensitive to perceived oppression tend to find themselves. Sure, there would be a percentage of passers-through who would have legitimate complaints, but a huge proportion were criminals on the run and other baddies, while Luke and his friends would have no way to tell one from the other.

Probably his best source was Biggs, who actually went to the (an?) Imperial Naval Academy, and barring a deleted scene we don't get much from him. Why did Biggs and his friends highjack their ship and defect? Did they witness something? Did they deliberately sign up for the Academy specifically to get Imperial training paid for by Imperial taxes fully intending to betray the Empire the whole time?

Teenagers probably hated the Republic too. They're teenagers, and it's a government. Doesn't matter how good it is, they'll hate it for one reason or another.

Doesn't mean the Empire is rainbowland, but if my niece says "France sux, lol." it doesn't change my opinions on the country much.

No, I don't care if she is the Chosen One. Chosen Ones have plenty of hormones too. They think we underestimate their power, stuff like that.

I'm actually of the opinion that Luke was more regurgitating things his friends said than saying anything original. You don't see any imperial presence on the planet until they land sandtroopers to try to find the escaped droids. Given the later canon regarding the Hutts, I doubt the Empire cared to have much of a permanent presence there. However, Luke spent all of his free time (such as Uncle Owen allowed him to have) with his friends in trader or spacer settlements like Anchorhead. Those are breeding grounds for rumor and unrest, especially on the outskirts of civilized space where those who are most sensitive to perceived oppression tend to find themselves. Sure, there would be a percentage of passers-through who would have legitimate complaints, but a huge proportion were criminals on the run and other baddies, while Luke and his friends would have no way to tell one from the other.

Probably his best source was Biggs, who actually went to the (an?) Imperial Naval Academy, and barring a deleted scene we don't get much from him. Why did Biggs and his friends highjack their ship and defect? Did they witness something? Did they deliberately sign up for the Academy specifically to get Imperial training paid for by Imperial taxes fully intending to betray the Empire the whole time?

We don't know if the Academy that Biggs went to (and Luke wished to attend) was created by the Empire like the one we see on Lothal. It sounded more like a much older institution that trains pilots and supplies officers to local defense groups like we see with the Naboo defense force. At any rate I'm sure the Empire was recruiting more and more directly from these academies as their need for pilots outstripped the ability for their newer 'academies' to turn out graduates. Biggs may have seen a lot of stuff go down in his brief tour of duty on the Rand Ecliptic (which may have been an Imperial warship or just a merchant fleet cargo hauler) that opened his eyes to the badness of the empire. At any rate I doubt either Biggs or Luke had a desire to sit in a TIE Fighter and hope to not get blown up as a better career than moisture farming. Then again, there's no Tusken Raiders in space...

The radio dramas (and, I believe, the original script) had Biggs "meeting someone" at the academy who recruited him and convinced him to join the rebellion.

We don't see any imperials on tatooine that aren't looking for the droids, but no one seems especially surprised that there are stormtroopers all over the place, setting up road blocks and interrogating people.

Short version: Tatooine doesn't get the same sort of Imperial propaganda as, say, Coruscant. 

Of course, the Hutts have no reason to put up with Rebel agents provocateur, either: If Hutt space becomes a nesting ground for rebels fleeing Imperial justice, the Empire will fumigate Hutt space, with the Hutts in it. 

Biggs may have seen a lot of stuff go down in his brief tour of duty on the Rand Ecliptic (which may have been an Imperial warship or just a merchant fleet cargo hauler) that opened his eyes to the badness of the empire. 

The newcanon reprint of Complete Locations calls out Biggs as "first mate on the Imperial starship Rand Ecliptic" which does seem to imply "warship" rather than just merchant.

Ultimate Star Wars also references that Biggs trained as a TIE pilot. And says that Biggs abandoned his commission and joined the Rebel Alliance - he travelled to Tatooine to tell Luke his plans before heading to Yavin IV.

The hijacking mentioned in Darklighter may not have happened in the new canon. Since, we know from Rebels, that Hobbie:

had already joined the Rebel Alliance about 2 years before ANH.

Though I suppose, if they want to keep the "Hobbie mutinied" reference in Ultimate Star Wars, then he could be the Rebels' plant, who led a mutiny about that ship.

Edited by Ironlord

The most recent episode of Rebels is relevant to this topic.PLUS HOBBIE, WEDGE, AND REDSHIRT!

FTFY ;)

What!? No! Rake was the man! He had all that memorable time in this episode...

I kinda want him as a crew card, with a Biggs like power...

Nice.

If you are able to target this ship, roll 1 die. On a hit or crit you must target this ship.