Sign in to follow this  
Supertoe

Miskatonic Museum

Funny, not rebuilding your entire deck between acts is one of the things I like. I like the idea that you can't tailor your deck to each act individually. But I guess it's what you get a buzz from!

Same for me. It goes so much smoother to use the same deck every time.

Now I'm wondering if there are cards that force you to "downgrade" your deck. Say, you get scared stupid by Cthulhu and your skills suffer because of that and you have to replace say x amount of XP worth of cards with lvl 0 cards.

If not, there should be. Or maybe like adaptable - downgrade so many cards to reclaim/redistribute the experience.

The question is, can you use Adaptable straight away? Does the card need to be attached before you can use it? Are decks 'in play' between investigations?

From the article, it says you have to buy it with XP - it costs 1 point.

The question is, can you use Adaptable straight away? Does the card need to be attached before you can use it? Are decks 'in play' between investigations?

From the article, it says you have to buy it with XP - it costs 1 point.

I don't think that was what he was asking.

I think the question is this:

I purchase Adaptable after scenario 1 of a campaign.

Do I get to immediately use it to swap out two cards before scenario 2, or do I have to have Adaptable in play for scenario 2, and then can use it between 2 and 3?

I'm beginning to think it's the second answer, because if it was the first, it would practically be an auto-include for characters eligible to buy it.  If you're going to swap out even a single level 0 card, you would break even by getting Adaptable and immediately using it.  Anything more than that, whether it's 2 cards in a single break, or over the course of the campaign, and Adaptable puts you ahead of the curve.

What I'm wanting to ask is do you think Delve Deep is a good idea? Seems high risk high reward... I personally might not wanna use it... I'll buy this pack cuz I really like Dunwich Legacy and want to get Jim Culvers and I like the sound of a journalist (obviously a seeker right?)

The lack of rules is whats driving me crazy... not Cthulhu!

Maybe they want us to be committed having driven ourselves insane with trying to find the rules and we sell our souls to some grisly thingy.

What I'm wanting to ask is do you think Delve Deep is a good idea? Seems high risk high reward... I personally might not wanna use it... I'll buy this pack cuz I really like Dunwich Legacy and want to get Jim Culvers and I like the sound of a journalist (obviously a seeker right?)

The investigators are going to be in the deluxe expansion, not the mythos pack.

I think Delve Too Deep has interesting potential.  It's hard to tell without playing if the possible gains outweigh the risk of it backfiring hilariously, but I figure it will make for a good story either way, so I'll probably try it.

The investigators are going to be in the deluxe expansion, not the mythos pack.

I think Delve Too Deep has interesting potential.  It's hard to tell without playing if the possible gains outweigh the risk of it backfiring hilariously, but I figure it will make for a good story either way, so I'll probably try it.

Oh I meant I plan on buying Dunwich Legacy and this Mythos cuz duh you need to buy all 6 Mythos pack for Legacy campaign. I was just kinda off topic musing sorry for confusion.

I know seemingly every Mythos themed game practically guarantees you'll die or go insane (so I'm curious why their so popular if it's from my skimming the games that it seems 99% guaranteed you'll die...) but I do want this game and was thinking of whether I'd use Deep with Jim.

They should come with complete sets alex.

That gives us 13 new player cards each pack, probably 2 for each class including neutrals, and a wildcard which could be a weakness or permanent card as those don't count toward the deckbuilding limit.

This article pretty much confirmed my suspicious, deckbuilding between acts will be not possible without spending experience. This is a huge turnoff and the final straw that might make me skip the game entirelly....

Such a shame, because I love the theme and the several improvements they made to the LotR encounter system (new location system, better player scaling, smaller sets, etc). If they had kept deckbuilding as exciting as LotR is (even in a core environment) and not butcher it completelly to the point is almost unexistent, I would have been all over this game... 

Edit: Just saw that there was a previous article about deckbuilding which explains that. I don't know how I missed it.

Yeah I'm feeling the same way right now. With each new preview my excitement is going down, not up. The "pay XP to deckbuild" is bumming me out. It doesn't inspire much confidence. I will get the Core, but beyond that is - wait and see. I know you can play scenarios stand alone, but I hope that won't be an inferior way to play (do you get XP for scenarios that are beyond the 1st one?). Seriously, FFG, enough with the hype train, give us the rules!

Even though you pay to deckbuild between scenarios in a campaign, you also start with a 30 card deck that you built. It's a restriction for campaign mode, but if you want to tailor to each scenario, then do so. You don't have to play a campaign always, sometimes you just want to sit down with friends. I think the XP is to add a challenge and a reward. When I finish a game of LOTR, we either win or lose. Sure we get a score, but outside of that what's the point. Now if we do well in Arkham, we get extra experience and better cards for the next scenario and we know how to handle horrors. It fills flavor and the satisfaction of victory, even if the RPG elements don't appeal to you.

The lack of rules is whats driving me crazy... not Cthulhu!

Maybe they want us to be committed having driven ourselves insane with trying to find the rules and we sell our souls to some grisly thingy.

They dont need much in my case... I can easily sell my soul... :D 

It gets you 1xp per player per scenario, that's a lot of reward.

If you are coasting through a scenario why not take the risk.

If you know you will fail the scenario why not grab a cheeky xp before you lose.

Are we sure it's 1 per player?  The text says "Once you play it, the card is worth a point of experience that you can then invest toward other cards."  That sure makes it sound like it only applies to the player who plays it, and I don't see anywhere that it says each player gets it.

Yeah I'm feeling the same way right now. With each new preview my excitement is going down, not up. The "pay XP to deckbuild" is bumming me out. It doesn't inspire much confidence. I will get the Core, but beyond that is - wait and see. I know you can play scenarios stand alone, but I hope that won't be an inferior way to play (do you get XP for scenarios that are beyond the 1st one?). Seriously, FFG, enough with the hype train, give us the rules!

Exactly the opposite.  Each preview gets me more excited and the whole progression aspect is a large part of it.

Are we sure it's 1 per player?  The text says "Once you play it, the card is worth a point of experience that you can then invest toward other cards."  That sure makes it sound like it only applies to the player who plays it, and I don't see anywhere that it says each player gets it.

In LOTR, cards in the victory display will generally benefit all players IIRC.

Sure, but this isn't LOTR :D

Maybe I'm reading too much into the wording, but it does make the distinction about every other investigator drawing cards, and how you have to survive what they draw.  It just seems like if they got a benefit from it as well that might have been mentioned.  We'll have to wait for the formal definition, I guess.

Sure, but this isn't LOTR :D

Maybe I'm reading too much into the wording, but it does make the distinction about every other investigator drawing cards, and how you have to survive what they draw.  It just seems like if they got a benefit from it as well that might have been mentioned.  We'll have to wait for the formal definition, I guess.

The woman guiding Team Covenent through their gencon demo said that cards worth victory points grant everyone extra xp at the end of the scenario.  "Delve too Deep" is worth victory points, therefore everyone would benefit from the extra xp.

The woman guiding Team Covenent through their gencon demo said that cards worth victory points grant everyone extra xp at the end of the scenario.  "Delve too Deep" is worth victory points, therefore everyone would benefit from the extra xp.

Frankly it seems like a very risky card but as you can play it whenever you want I suppose you can easily determine when you can risk it the best.

Frankly it seems like a very risky card but as you can play it whenever you want I suppose you can easily determine when you can risk it the best.

It is very risky, and that is why I love it.  It's a wonderful meta card and the design space open to these and the Permanent card type has me very excited.

Spoilers at CardgameDB!

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/arkhamhorror/arkham-horror-the-card-game/_/the-dunwich-legacy-cycle/the-miskatonic-museum/

All the player cards are good. The most awesome one is definitely Brother Xavier but there are more really good cards like Pathfinder. The best flavor text is "I've got a plan!", and just thematically imagining Oops! makes me laugh. The more niche ones are Delve Too Deep and the neutral guys.

The scenario seems cool, with an epic boss that can appear from nowhere and gets stronger the more time passes. Also, multiple acts like in tHAW.

There are some good new cards in there indeed. Oops! is the coolest by far. No contest.

Pathfinder is really, really good. I'm calling it: auto include! There. I said it.

"I've got a plan" will be very useful, and so will brother Xavier & Flare. All great additions to the card pool.

Emergency aid is ok I guess. Better then first aid, which is just too slow.

Fire extinguisher seems like a oddball, and I think I won't have a opinion until I try the thing.

However, contraband feels a bit expensive (except for jenny's twin 45's) but maybe just doubling from 4 to 8 ammo is an ok deal on other guns like the .45 auto & .41 derringer.

And song of the dead, smoking pipe & painkillers are just meh. Or am I missing something here?

Also, I see 3 survivor cards in the pack and 2 for all other classes?

Will every pack have a different class with 3 cards, evening it out by the end of the cycle?

This would mean 1 pack with 3 neutral cards I guess.

Edited by Noccus

Smoking pipe and painkillers allow you better manage health / horror for those who are low in the stat.   For example, Roland can use the smoking pipe to transfer existing horror (which he is poor at dealing with) to damage (which typically I've never had him reach his max).