Sign in to follow this  
Supertoe

Miskatonic Museum

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/4/the-miskatonic-museum/

Not many spoilers today, only two cards. Makes me angry.

Beat me to it by a few seconds! I'm OK with fewer spoilers since we got the Permanent mechanic revealed. Such an amazing way to approach a card game, RPG-style.

Edit: And is anyone else just blown away by their location mechanic? Using the colored circles to indicate what's adjacent to what, so you can build a map. But I imagine there's the possibility to customize the map each run-through Maybe not on the quests we have spoiled, but the potential is easily there for reordering the locations. A-B-C vs. A-C-B, type of thing.

Edited by Network57

Awesome new mechanics revealed today.

Being able to buy permanent upgrades adds a whole new aspect to character customization.

The reward mechanic is great, the mystic card that screws everyone over before giving you all experience made me laugh. I thought it would be criminal characters that I would have to be wary of.

Awesome new mechanics revealed today.

Being able to buy permanent upgrades adds a whole new aspect to character customization.

The reward mechanic is great, the mystic card that screws everyone over before giving you all experience made me laugh. I thought it would be criminal characters that I would have to be wary of.

It's like that Librarian in The Mummy: "Don't read from the book!" It's not intentionally screwing the other players over, they just don't know any better. (The characters, not the players. We know **** well what we're doing!)

Beat me to it by a few seconds! I'm OK with fewer spoilers since we got the Permanent mechanic revealed. Such an amazing way to approach a card game, RPG-style.

Edit: And is anyone else just blown away by their location mechanic? Using the colored circles to indicate what's adjacent to what, so you can build a map. But I imagine there's the possibility to customize the map each run-through Maybe not on the quests we have spoiled, but the potential is easily there for reordering the locations. A-B-C vs. A-C-B, type of thing.

Where did we learn about the location mechanics? I would love to read more about that or did I just skip it by accident?

Where did we learn about the location mechanics? I would love to read more about that or did I just skip it by accident?

If you look at the top left corner of spoiled Location images, they have colored circles. Then along that bottom, a series of colored circles indicating which locations they're adjacent to. This was mainly demonstrated in the Team Covenant GenCon spoiler video.

It mentions how many player cards, but as yet Im not that familiar at all with the rules, do we know if the packs have complete playsets regarding multiples??

Following basically every other FFG LCG, yes. It's only ever the Core that requires multiples. Assuming by complete playsets, you mean for 1 deck, so 2 copies of each title. If you want to put 2 copies in each of 2 decks, you'll need multiple Mythos Packs or Deluxes.

They should come with complete sets alex.

That gives us 13 new player cards each pack, probably 2 for each class including neutrals, and a wildcard which could be a weakness or permanent card as those don't count toward the deckbuilding limit.

This article pretty much confirmed my suspicious, deckbuilding between acts will be not possible without spending experience. This is a huge turnoff and the final straw that might make me skip the game entirelly....

Such a shame, because I love the theme and the several improvements they made to the LotR encounter system (new location system, better player scaling, smaller sets, etc). If they had kept deckbuilding as exciting as LotR is (even in a core environment) and not butcher it completelly to the point is almost unexistent, I would have been all over this game... 

Edit: Just saw that there was a previous article about deckbuilding which explains that. I don't know how I missed it.

Edited by xchan

That gives us 13 new player cards each pack, probably 2 for each class including neutrals, and a wildcard which could be a weakness or permanent card as those don't count toward the deckbuilding limit.

This article pretty much confirmed my suspicious, deckbuilding between acts will be not possible without spending experience. This is a huge turnoff and the final straw that might make me skip the game entirelly....

Such a shame, because I love the theme and the several improvements they made to the LotR encounter system (new location system, better player scaling, smaller sets, etc). If they had kept deckbuilding as exciting as LotR is (even in a core environment) and not butcher it completelly to the point is almost unexistent, I would have been all over this game... 

How are you interpreting that? I haven't read anything that says that in between quests, you can't rebuild your entire deck, provided you follow the deckbuilding restrictions. The auto-includes for each investigator, and only including level 1+ cards that you're paid for via XP. But swapping out a level 0 for a level 0 seems fine. And if you want to play it that you swap out a level 1 for a level 1, or a level 2 for two level 1's, just that the sum of the levels of the cards in your deck is less than or equal to the XP you've earned across your campaign, no one's going to stop you and take your cards away. It'll be different than the game might want you to play it, but it's your game.

But remember, this is supposed to be more of an RPG-like card game than a deckbuilding game. Some people, myself included, prefer that. The fact that LOTR is starting to require an hour of deckbuilding to solve each quest as a puzzle than to play through it as a story is making me start skipping that altogether.

Edit: Just saw that there was a previous article about deckbuilding which explains that. I don't know how I missed it.

If you don't like the deck building rules for campaign mode then don't play campaign mode. FFG has clearly stated that standalone scenario play is an option.

How are you interpreting that? I haven't read anything that says that in between quests, you can't rebuild your entire deck, provided you follow the deckbuilding restrictions. The auto-includes for each investigator, and only including level 1+ cards that you're paid for via XP. But swapping out a level 0 for a level 0 seems fine.

It's been confirmed a couple of times that you can't switch level 0 cards in campaign mode without paying xp. That's what the permanent skill is about in the latest article.

How are you interpreting that? I haven't read anything that says that in between quests, you can't rebuild your entire deck, provided you follow the deckbuilding restrictions. The auto-includes for each investigator, and only including level 1+ cards that you're paid for via XP. But swapping out a level 0 for a level 0 seems fine.

It's been confirmed a couple of times that you can't switch level 0 cards in campaign mode without paying xp. That's what the permanent skill is about in the latest article.

Funny, not rebuilding your entire deck between acts is one of the things I like. I like the idea that you can't tailor your deck to each act individually. But I guess it's what you get a buzz from!

Agreed.

Funny, not rebuilding your entire deck between acts is one of the things I like. I like the idea that you can't tailor your deck to each act individually. But I guess it's what you get a buzz from!

Same for me. It goes so much smoother to use the same deck every time.

Yeah I'm feeling the same way right now. With each new preview my excitement is going down, not up. The "pay XP to deckbuild" is bumming me out. It doesn't inspire much confidence. I will get the Core, but beyond that is - wait and see. I know you can play scenarios stand alone, but I hope that won't be an inferior way to play (do you get XP for scenarios that are beyond the 1st one?). Seriously, FFG, enough with the hype train, give us the rules!

Same for me. It goes so much smoother to use the same deck every time.

Now I'm wondering if there are cards that force you to "downgrade" your deck. Say, you get scared stupid by Cthulhu and your skills suffer because of that and you have to replace say x amount of XP worth of cards with lvl 0 cards.

I wish we could see a Seeker card but no matter. I'm really interested in the DL campaign I wanna buy all eight 'episodes' I'm entralled by Jim Culvers The Musician. I hope each class has a permanent I'm gearing towards Mystics Seekers and Survivors for my main class. Also someone elaborate on Victory? We need Victory cards to beat Scene or those just give us XP in game to spend?

I wish we could see a Seeker card but no matter. I'm really interested in the DL campaign I wanna buy all eight 'episodes' I'm entralled by Jim Culvers The Musician. I hope each class has a permanent I'm gearing towards Mystics Seekers and Survivors for my main class. Also someone elaborate on Victory? We need Victory cards to beat Scene or those just give us XP in game to spend?

From the Team Covenant promo video, they provide extra XP but are not required. You don't even need to finish a quest to "beat" it. You can always resign and move onto that next quest with a handicap.

From the Team Covenant promo video, they provide extra XP but are not required. You don't even need to finish a quest to "beat" it. You can always resign and move onto that next quest with a handicap.

Frankly unless I'm going to lose I'll try my best to win a scene in a campaign. :P

We've seen a mystic card that can screw everyone over.

Rogues will almost certainly have a way of taking items.

The friendly fire rule means that the weapons guardians carry are super scary.

I have the feeling that each class will have a way of doing over the party, I suppose that gives it more of a real rpg feel.

I don't understand the people who are being put off the by deck building restrictions in campaign mode. If you don't like it, just play the scenarios stand-alone, then you can deck build until your heart's content :)  

Also, we don't know how much XP a typical scenario rewards. Say you are getting 10 after each game, that's 10 new level 0-1 cards you can swap out (a third of your deck). Then, as shown in the Miskatonic Museum article, there are cards that allow you to change the rules and tweak your deck even more.