Biophysical

Observations on Quickdraw and her role in squads

146 posts in this topic

Ive yet to use QD myself, i tend to view her more of a trap than an awesome pilot. Backdraft has been my sf of choice and hes been farting the way to victory for me quite a bit. Almost purely because of that guaranteed crit he keeps landing on people in ways where he cant get return fired.

I should use QD atleast once. Dengar is really the only high PS threat i regularly see around here, as aces are generally frowned upon and everyone thinks rebel regen is boring lol

Ive yet to use QD myself, i tend to view her more of a trap than an awesome pilot. Backdraft has been my sf of choice and hes been farting the way to victory for me quite a bit. Almost purely because of that guaranteed crit he keeps landing on people in ways where he cant get return fired.

I should use QD atleast once. Dengar is really the only high PS threat i regularly see around here, as aces are generally frowned upon and everyone thinks rebel regen is boring lol

I've had trouble with Backdraft, myself.  I have a hard time getting my head around the rear arc, and would only ever use his bonus crit maybe once or twice a game.  

i just think in reverse. Basically i act like my ship is moving backwards, where a 2hard makes me face the battle instead of turn away from it.

It can bite you though if you try to squeeze a longer aux shot. I had a couple times when running triple SFs i'd have one have no shot option unless i did a 1bank away and hope for range3 aux shots. Forgot they cant turn around very tightly so i ended up disengaging lol oops.

It also lets you arc-dodge in a way most people dont think about. 2-3bank into a barrelroll around your target. If you are ~45 degrees compared to your opponent, a barrelroll will sidestep them and you still have arc. Its REALLY hard to get that though on most ships without the boost as well, so nobody thinks about it with SFs. Caught many people off guard with a range1 backdraft fart doing that lol

banjobenito likes this

I've had trouble with Backdraft, myself.  I have a hard time getting my head around the rear arc, and would only ever use his bonus crit maybe once or twice a game.  

not necessarily a bad thing

thing with Backdraft is you don't really want to think of his ability as THE reason to take him, because then you're winging the flexibility of having two arcs

unlike the actual ARC, which mods itself out the butt and often stresses itself to the point where it can't k-turn even if it wanted to, Backdraft is both more flexible (no self stress; a pair of sexy sloops) and sorta has to be because you can't really make an imperial squad that keeps on cruising forward without a care in the world, ala

14257683_10157391784220142_8396886624028

14258111_10157391784410142_238029119068314231240_10157391784450142_5426161674777

so with backdraft, you have to prioritize arc coverage over just utilizing your ability. sometimes you just gotta gtfo

14481729_10157482820400142_3375803264462

and sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and pretend you're a defender

14435387_10157482820790142_8090603822779

I like to think of Backdraft's 2 point investment over the Omega as like investing in Tailgunner

if Tailgunner was a HELL of a lot more potent

Yeah i'd wager auto crit is a way more lethal tailgunner lol.

Couple of times ive killed someone out the aux arc with that crit because it did doubledamage. Tailgunner wouldnt do that unless you rolled a crit to begin with.

Yeah i'd wager auto crit is a way more lethal tailgunner lol.

Couple of times ive killed someone out the aux arc with that crit because it did doubledamage. Tailgunner wouldnt do that unless you rolled a crit to begin with.

auto-crit AND +2 PS :P over the omega S

Edited by ficklegreendice

Speaking of Backdraft, how has everyone been kitting it out? I haven't looked into using Backdraft at all, but considering new and interesting options. 

i experimented with Predator + Adv Sensors + Cluster but quickly realized that the pre-red move action isnt as powerful as FCS on him. Which makes predator a little redundant.

Lately ive been doing:

Backdraft

Outmaneuver

Fire Control System

Mk2 Engines

Title

Cluster

Total: 35pts

Cluster im more keeping on there to get used to the 2pts spent there for list building reasons, since personally i have been having lousy luck getting anything out of that ability. I seem to never get shot at when i have a focus, ended up not needing it (no blanks, regular focus, cant really complain i guess), or i got hit with an attack that is "On Hit" and i couldnt completely evade it anyway. Once HOTR comes out i am slapping Pattern Analyzer on there and never removing it.

FCS is seriously too dang powerful. I find it really easy to keep on the same ship, either front or rear arc, though usually not with the same arc two turns in a row. It just amplifies how hard hes hitting them and outmaneuver works out the aux arc so it just piles on the damage. Mk2 because...the hell not? 4 more greens for 1pt sure!

will say this though, triple SF is a bad idea. Kinda wishing i didnt buy 3 of them lol...then again also wishing i bought a 4th so i could load a gozanti with 4 SFs hehehe (they are fighters after all). Today is my weekly xwing day at the flgs so im going to try doubles and use QD this time. Still trying to concoct a list though.

Speaking of Backdraft, how has everyone been kitting it out? I haven't looked into using Backdraft at all, but considering new and interesting options. 

just VI and FCS for me

like QD, I like bare minimum loadout possible to keep them from hitting x7 costs. Once you're clear of that, imo it isn't terribly difficult to justify their inclusion

yes, the inquisitor is stupid bonkers but he's also got some rather sharp drawbacks when you run him with PTL. the SF has its own problems, but they're vastly different

Backdraft has been my favoured /sf too. I've been kitting it out super light, to keep it sub-30pts. FCS for Vessery wingman, Lone wolf if I can afford it and it's a 3-or-less list, as Backdraft is often peeling off with 3 banks and such, then moping around with 1-straights, which all makes it pretty easy to get LW triggering. 

Hunting it down is a bit of a pain positionally, and if you throw LW rerolls in there, you've got a modicum of survivability. So yeah, 29-31pts for me - don't make it a target priority for your opponent.

Had great silly fun with a rage, baffles, experimental interface Youngster expose build today (Vader and Wampa wingmen). It was brilliant, got a ghost down to 2 Hull in one round one match and killed a Whisper in another match on round one too before it could decloak.

Really looking forward to trying a "normal" reasonable build with her.

ehhhh i'd advocate against LW on an SF. Theyre a knifefighter, they want to get into the fight and dance around their opponent to abuse both arcs. LW is best for the last-stander or the sniper. SFs arent that great at either.

Tried it. Failed horribly lol. You restrict your flight way too much with it, or waste it because youre too close. And a 2agi ship with LW and 6hp still isnt that hard to remove so hes not that great of a final fighter.

I remember someone mentioning this before, but a Tie Shuttle with Fleet Officer, TIEMKII, and maybe Systems Officer (You're doing greens anyway) has a very similar dial to the TIE/sf. If you got the extra points to add on TIEMKII for QD as well, it's probably worth it. It can be a great support ship for 2 TIE/sfs and you can still fit in a 4th ship like Wampa, Epsilon Sq Pilot, Academy Pilot or a Crack Black. 

Edited by RStan

I had a great experience with Quickdraw + juke + Accuracy corrector +title + shield, and am going to try it again tonight.

It just kept pumping out damage, i believe the ability triggered twice but i never once had a shot from front and back, cant imagine how insanely damaging this ship would be a cluster of ships.

I had a great experience with Quickdraw + juke + Accuracy corrector +title + shield, and am going to try it again tonight.

It just kept pumping out damage, i believe the ability triggered twice but i never once had a shot from front and back, cant imagine how insanely damaging this ship would be a cluster of ships.

Quickdraw has no Evade action...

ArbitraryNerd likes this

How are you getting that evade token? Imps have no way to assign evades to other ships and she has no evade action

How are you getting that evade token? Imps have no way to assign evades to other ships and she has no evade action

LOL oh my i may have been one epic cheater.... At least it was in a nice fun game.... better edit my list for tonight.

RStan likes this

LOL oh my i may have been one epic cheater.... At least it was in a nice fun game.... better edit my list for tonight.

Importantly, if you thought you could get an Evade token, why didn't you have Comm Relay ;) ?

AlexW, RStan, ArbitraryNerd and 1 other like this

And here we all were, hoping you'd found some sort of missed combo!

banjobenito likes this

So, might Quickdraw, Baffle, be a good ship for Stay on Target to find a home?

I think you'd also need Pattern Analyzers. Otherwise, you use Baffles to drop stress and trigger her ability, but haven't had a chance at an action yet, so you're throwing unmodified dice at unmodified dice. I thing Rage or PTL is better, overall.

Really looking forward to seeing what exactly lightened frame or whatever does too. The 2 green Dice + system cluster dud nothing for me.

My favourite thing so far with Backdraft has been /x7s.  Goign fast in straight lines doesn't really help when I'm gently 1-banking around your trail, getting an average of hit hit crit with Lone Wolf and my focus, causing you to spend your focus, then sensor jamming your shot so you miss...