Biophysical

Observations on Quickdraw and her role in squads

146 posts in this topic

A guy was playing QD to very good effect at a tournament last weekend - rage baffle at range one is unholy. I think Quickdraw is a great new tool that allows for a uniquely imperial alphas strike, whilst still leaving you with a potent ace if you can keep it out of arc.

I can't imagine the /sf enjoying a resurgence in turret lists, however.

IG88E and Lampyridae like this

Great assessment.

Would you suggest any particular ships/builds to compliment Quickdraw well? I know you mentioned Omega Leader, and I've definitely looked at that myself. Are there even certain ships that gel well with each build you've described above? 

A guy was playing QD to very good effect at a tournament last weekend - rage baffle at range one is unholy. I think Quickdraw is a great new tool that allows for a uniquely imperial alphas strike, whilst still leaving you with a potent ace if you can keep it out of arc.

I can't imagine the /sf enjoying a resurgence in turret lists, however.

I don't know.  It's not your end-game ship.  If you have 2 other ships that are solid against Turrets, Quickdraw softening the main target up or almost 1-shotting a TLT Y-wing and then taking all the fire for a turn is probably sufficient.  

Great assessment.

Would you suggest any particular ships/builds to compliment Quickdraw well? I know you mentioned Omega Leader, and I've definitely looked at that myself. Are there even certain ships that gel well with each build you've described above? 

Omega Leader is definitely strong.  I'm not settled on a 3rd ship, but you've got ~40 points to build it, so you've got some flexibility with a solid ace and a bid (or some gear on QD and OL) or 2 small ships like Omega Crack Shots, or even 3 TIE Fighters if you want mass.  

I've actually been wanting to get Deathrain in my squad lists recently and I think it would be interesting to see it fly with Omega and Quickdraw. 

Quickdraw: Rage, Baffle, Spec Ops, TIEMKII

Omega Leader: Juke, Comm Relay

Deathrain: Extra Muns, Connor Net, Conner Net, Accuracy Corrector, TIEMKII 

98 pts. I've thought about changing a Conner Net for a Homing Missile for those pesky defenders in the first pass. The extra TIEMKIIs as upgrades I like, but they give me room if I want to try different Quickdraw builds. 

Edited by RStan
S1leNt RIP and Punning Pundit like this

A friend of mine has been experimenting with QuickDraw to nasty effect. He's also got Omega Leader and a Tie/D Vessery. The list is a bit of a meat grinder with some tough choices as to who to shot first.

Kanawolf and clanofwolves like this

List I was going to try was:

Inquisitor with PtL, title and AT

Vess with VI, x7 title and MkII engine

Quickdraw with Rage, Baffle, Title and MkII engine

98 points

Vess and Inquisitor are solid, hard to crack ships outside of Zuckuss crew. Quickdraw I am hoping shores up the weakness against swarms by enabling some double tapping through good positioning.

However, I feel weird leaving Omega Leader and my stealth devices at home. :(

clanofwolves likes this

Very good review.  I haven't had the cash to pick up the SF yet, but I want one.  It seems like a quite unique ship that does have a place.  I like that. 

I've actually been wanting to get Deathrain in my squad lists recently and I think it would be interesting to see it fly with Omega and Quickdraw. 

Quickdraw: Rage, Baffle, Spec Ops, TIEMKII

Omega Leader: Juke, Comm Relay

Deathrain: Extra Muns, Connor Net, Conner Net, Accuracy Corrector, TIEMKII 

98 pts. I've thought about changing a Conner Net for a Homing Missile for those pesky defenders in the first pass. The extra TIEMKIIs as upgrades I like, but they give me room if I want to try different Quickdraw builds. 

So I think you drop a Connor Net for a Seismic.  Saves you 2 points, and lets you take advantage of Deathrain's funky maneuverability.  2 Connors should probably be enough on him, anyway.  Drop TIE Mk2 for Long Range Sensors, and that saves you a point.  Those 3 points + 1 point of your bid gives you enough for Concussion Missiles, so you can enter combat with two shots for Quickdraw, Omega Leader's shot, and a 4-hit shot from Deathrain.  That makes Deathrain a little more versatile all around.

A friend of mine has been experimenting with QuickDraw to nasty effect. He's also got Omega Leader and a Tie/D Vessery. The list is a bit of a meat grinder with some tough choices as to who to shot first.

Yeah, I've been looking at TIE/D Vessery, too, but haven't tried him yet.  x7 with Inquisitor that Viktus106 mentioned seems strong as well.  It's making me look at Quickdraw as an alternative to a PalpShuttle.  Its similar points, especially if you equip your Palp with a system to boost his defenses.  You sacrifice defense for your two aces (while Palp would be alive) in exchange for a massive boost in offense for a few turns.  

If you have a way to add tokens... opportunist + baffle leads the a baffling situation

This sort of works, but I'm not sure it's worth it.  You'd trigger with a red move or moving through debris, which means it would be your unmodified 4/5 dice vs their unmodified defense dice, and you'd have a stress leftover.  PTL, which lets you trigger on any move, gives you 3/4 Focus/TL dice, with no stress left after you Baffle away the stress.

RStan likes this

Okay, this is a little hilarious:

"The Felons"

Scourge 17, Crack Shot 1 = 18

Mauler Mithel 17, Crack Shot 1 = 18

Youngster 15, Rage 1 = 16

Backstabber 16 = 16

Quickdraw 29, Crack Shot 1, Electronic Baffle 1 = 31

On full Rage-Out, you have up to 5 4-dice Focus/Reroll attacks, 3 of them with Crack Shot, with 1 3-dice attack.  It's much more likely that some are outside of Range 1, but you're looking at 1-rounding a Ghost, even in sub-optimal situations.

Cr0aker, RStan, Adun42 and 3 others like this

"The Felons"

Backstabber 16 = 16

On full Rage-Out, you have up to 5 4-dice Focus/Reroll attacks, 3 of them with Crack Shot, with 1 3-dice attack.  It's much more likely that some are outside of Range 1, but you're looking at 1-rounding a Ghost, even in sub-optimal situations.

I.....I have to try this.....

Punning Pundit likes this

"The Felons"

Backstabber 16 = 16

I feel like there should be a movie-trailer clip showing each pilot doing a signature move, with a gravely voice-over and big block letters announcing their callsigns.

"The Felons"

Backstabber 16 = 16

I feel like there should be a movie-trailer clip showing each pilot doing a signature move, with a gravely voice-over and big block letters announcing their callsigns.

Give them a Borderlands type of character introduction would be great! They all have to look angry because of all the raging too. 

I get how this is a star trek attack wing mechanic, but I still don't think it's that amazing here. It's a ship with 2 agility and 3 shields. The likelihood of that ship having those 3 shields before he can sneak into range 1 of a Soontir is going to really depend on what else the opponent brings. If he's got ships with good alpha attacks or lots of blockers, there's no way he gets near the "target" ace. I've already played a casual game recently against the Nationals runner up who played a list with this ship with baffle and rage and my Soontir list prevailed. 

Solid write up sir! Think you may have sold me on the SF, I held off on picking one up with my wave 9 purchases but now I'm interested. Looking forward to trying out the Rage/Baffle combo with my Fun Police/Public Enemies squad

Quickdraw (Rage, Baffles, title)

OL (Juke, Comm Relay)

Carnor Jax (PTL)

Wampa

Im sure my casual group will love em haha

Reading this actually makes me want to go out and buy the Tie/SF, which up until now I have had little inclination and planned to get it at same time as Wave 10 release.

Bravo OP!

I have tried the Draw Their Fire version on Quickdraw and it is likely just my flying ability but it was extremely difficult to keep one of my two other ships within range 1 of QD. In 2 games DTF worked once due to being outside range 1 or the opponent just rolls hits and no crits. The exact list I flew is:

Colonel Vessery — TIE Defender 35
Veteran Instincts 1
Tractor Beam 1
TIE/D 0
Ship Total: 37

"Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Draw Their Fire 1
Fire-Control System 2
Sensor Cluster 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 34

"Omega Leader" — TIE/fo Fighter 21
Juke 2
Comm Relay 3
Stealth Device 3
Ship Total: 29
Squad Total: 100
SabineKey likes this

"The Felons"

Backstabber 16 = 16

Is it worth losing the initiative bid and Scourge (or Mithel) to put epsilon leader in the group?  with Youngster's range requirement you're already in close - and now you're able to more easily deal with the double stress.

I wonder if QuickDrawTheirFire wants to fly next to something else that everybody wants to kill first, like say Howlrunner.

"Quick! Draw Their Fire from Howlrunner!" 99pts

"Quickdraw" 29pts

Draw Their Fire 1pt

Electronic Baffle 1pt

Shield Upgrade 4pts

"Howlrunner" 20pts

Expert Handling 2pts

"Wampa" 14pts

Black Squadron Pilot 14pts

Crack Shot 1pt

Black Squadron Pilot 14pts

Crack Shot 1pt

There's probably a more efficient way to get at this idea.

Edited by digitalbusker

I get how this is a star trek attack wing mechanic, but I still don't think it's that amazing here. It's a ship with 2 agility and 3 shields. The likelihood of that ship having those 3 shields before he can sneak into range 1 of a Soontir is going to really depend on what else the opponent brings. If he's got ships with good alpha attacks or lots of blockers, there's no way he gets near the "target" ace. I've already played a casual game recently against the Nationals runner up who played a list with this ship with baffle and rage and my Soontir list prevailed. 

That's why one of the poitns of the write-up was to discuss other things that Quickdraw is good at.  I don't think there needs to be a "target" ace.  Quickdraw can just rip through whatever else is in front of her and leave the rest of the squad to deal with Fel if she can't get to him.  It's not like an autoblaster turret or Omega Leader, who are amazing against high defense/low HP targets, but pretty poor against low AGI beef.  Quickdraw is going to shred no matter what her target is.  

"The Felons"

Backstabber 16 = 16

Is it worth losing the initiative bid and Scourge (or Mithel) to put epsilon leader in the group?  with Youngster's range requirement you're already in close - and now you're able to more easily deal with the double stress.

Maybe.  Mauler is certainly the most expendable of the bunch.  Epsilon Leader gives more power on subsequent turns at the expense of the mass alpha strike.  I'd have to play a few games with both builds to have a meaningful opinion.

The main problem with the SF / FO / LN  are the different turnarounds,  the FO and LN can fly together somewhat well - but the combination pins formations to speed 4 k-turns and no sloops (till you break formation)  The SF further eliminates most 3 turns, 1 turns, kturns, sloops and the 5 forward.  It'll fly in formation on the approach - but really wants to break formation after the merge.

Edited by Ravncat
Biophysical likes this