Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

Beneath the Sands

Woah... these allies are bananas. About time we get an ally that can cancel when revealed effects (albeit only on enemies)!

He has nice stats for his low cost of 2 as well which is always nice. Won't be too painful discarding him to use his ability as he has low stats but at the same time he will still serve a purpose until his ability is needed even with his low cost. 

The rohan ally is potentially even better. 2/2/0/2 for 3 is pretty good to begin with. The ability is fantastic (so long as you are running side quests) and allows you to utilize both the 2 attack and 2 willpower.  Its also another scout character so works with Scouting Party. Finally it doesn't even say player side quest so this is a great ally for Lost Realm and Angmar Awakened and any other quests that feature side quests. 

Not as crazy about the neutral event... 9 traits is actually quite a lot.... 

Even if all three heroes you run are different races lets say Noldor, Dwarf and Dunedain thats only three so far.

Lets say one of them is noble thats 4. Even if one is a ranger and another is a warrior thats still only 6. You may think it would be fairly easy to then get up to 9 with allies but the thing is the vast majority of allies are going to be the same trait as the heroes in a deck so for this example I've already given you would need something like a Rohan, Gondor and Ent ally in play alongside those heroes with the 6 traits. In the example FFG gave just Denethor and Elfhelm alone give you 6 traits but both of them have 3 each and there are not that many heroes that have 3 each the vast majority only have one or two. 

Then again we do have a bunch of attachments coming that will provide heroes with extra traits so those cards will make this event much more viable or at least playable in a wider variety of decks. I don't know, I see this being a very niche card considering most decks are at least somewhat thematic and run around just a few key traits and even those decks that do feature many traits will still only have 5 or 6 between their heroes and so you cannot play this card until you have a handful of different allies with different traits out. I guess its a card you want to play late game anyway for a big quest push and tons of readying so it doesn't matter quite as much that it has so much setup but there is always a chance that setup won't come together or that you will need it early game. Love the theme of this card but not sure how usable it will actually be. 

Rider of Rohan is one of the best things ever.

and i'm still waiting for half of Dreamchaser to come out.  why can't i just have all the cards now?

Even if all three heroes you run are different races lets say Noldor, Dwarf and Dunedain thats only three so far.

Lets say one of them is noble thats 4. Even if one is a ranger and another is a warrior thats still only 6. You may think it would be fairly easy to then get up to 9 with allies but the thing is the vast majority of allies are going to be the same trait as the heroes in a deck so for this example I've already given you would need something like a Rohan, Gondor and Ent ally in play alongside those heroes with the 6 traits. In the example FFG gave just Denethor and Elfhelm alone give you 6 traits but both of them have 3 each and there are not that many heroes that have 3 each the vast majority only have one or two. 

Any Dunedain Ranger bumps you up to 8, which means you need just 1 more trait from the beginning to go.

I'm most excited about some new cancellation, but the other revealed player cards are all pretty good so far. The Free Peoples may be hard to play, though, so I don't see it getting used much m

i'm also liking that it continues the theme of Dunedain in general getting the: Discard ally for A Test of Will or Hasty Stroke

Yeah I was trying to find a hero combination that would start with 9 traits out of the gate, but I couldn't figure one out.  You can get 8 without too much fuss.  If you are playing in a Saga scenario you'll have a Fellowship hero (or Baggins sphere Bilbo) which could put you over the top without playing any allies.

But at 8 traits, it wouldn't be difficult to achieve the 9th if you toss in an Ent, a Healer, or something like that.

Any Dunedain Ranger bumps you up to 8, which means you need just 1 more trait from the beginning to go.

That's a good point. Mega unthematic deck though.... Gondorian Steward, Rohan warrior and a Dunedain ranger from the north.

Edited by PsychoRocka

Quite a few generally useful cards have fairly random traits too, and they fit in all sorts of decks. Warden of Healing will snag you Healer, Master of the Forge is a Craftsman, and so on. I just looked through the four decks we're playing at the moment, and total number of traits are 14, 14, 12, 10.

The effect is extremely powerful, though. At the very least I think it's a staple card for Saga quests, where your extra hero can sometimes collect resource that are hard to spend, and you're likely to hit the Trait requirement or get very close just from your four heroes.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a 3-hero combination that has 9 different traits right from the start.

Edited by NathanH

I'm a bit disapointed with the new Rohan ally. He has pretty good stats, but his effect is not related with Rohan mecanic at all.

I would have prefered they swap the ability of the Rider of rohan with the Dunedain Lookout ability.

Dunedain are obviously much more related with side quests. For instance you have the new Dunedain hero Thurindir, that give you the alibity to have a side quest in your hand first turn. And on the other hand, discard albilities are so much related with Rohan... It would have been so nice to have a consistent cancel of when revealed ennemy effects with Gameling in play...

And Rohan have already a lot of readying effects. Sneak Attack (or Ride to ruin) + Eomund for instance. Or Ceorl, or even the very expensive We Do Not Sleep.

And i still prefer the good old Rider of the mark as non unique 3 cost rohan spirit ally :-p

Rider-of-the-Mark.jpg

Edited by Valiko33

It's funny how such useless and pointless thing as a Steward trait became relevant just for this one event.

When I was reading the article and it mentioned 6 traits across just Elfhelm and Denethor I was instantly like wait 3 traits on Denethor...? Gondor yep, Noble yep, what else could possibly be on him.... then I see that it is "Steward".......

Pretty weird. No card cares about the "steward" trait and it does nothing whatsoever (except give you another trait for this new event). Also how is Steward a trait....? It is a title and position not an inherent part of his identity. Like it is an extremely important part of his identity but did not become so until he became the actual Steward.

Steward of Gondor attachment doesn't give the attached character the Steward trait it gives the Gondor trait because Steward is just a title and position not a trait. I feel like they just slapped it on for cards like this new event and other new cards we might get that want you to have as many traits as possible.

PsychoRocka, Stewards trait is obiviously a remnant of the past, thing that got ultimately scrapped and unused, just like Archer trait which is present on two cards from the core set and that's it. They added him to the new version of Denethor for the simple matter of consistency.

Edited by John Constantine

Woah the original Lore Denethor has the Steward trait as well... how have I never noticed that.

But the leadership ally does not... Seems extremely inconsistent if anything to me....

Steward trait on original version.

Then it is abandoned and not included on the second version for whatever reason.

Then for the third version they decide they will include it this time because they are releasing new cards that care about how many traits you have :P

Denethor ally looks pretty young to me in comparison to his heroe versions, maybe that version of him was not a steward at the moment. I don't really think that Lead Denethor's Steward trait retainment has anything to do with this new event, they just kept it because original Denethor hero had one.

Yeah fair point. If memory serves correct he was somewhere in his 50's/60's when he became Steward so it is definitely possible that card depicts him before that happens. You are probably right as to why they included it but it just seems silly that all three don't have the Steward trait or preferably none of them do.