Sign in to follow this  
Rostbaerdt

Idea for a new astromech card!

So for a while I've been playing with the idea for a new astromech in my head.

The astromech that can fly a ship!

The idea is that, on non-unique pilot ships, this droid would function as the pilot, thus freeing the pilot's seat up for a crew slot!

This could bring even more combo's to rebel ships!

I also thought it could have a built in Veteran Instincts, for the lowest PS ships.

I guess it would best be a Unique droid, and cost at least 4 points.

I don't think it would break the game, since it's not super invasive and it would cost quite a bit for a generic ship.

It might however bring some love back to the ignored generic E-wing and X-wings.

What do you guys think?

Broken, lame or cool?

Wow, 4 point astromech that does nothing but add a crew slot.  Remind me again why I would want to do that?  An X wing becomes 25 points, a Rebel Op w/ TLT comes in at 22 points, and I would argue that a TLT is better than a 3 dice primary.  Same thing on a Y wing - adding 4 points puts it at 22, which is one point cheaper than the K wing, but it has 1 less shield, a ton more of ordnance slots, SLAM, and I suppose a slightly inferior (in terms of maneuvers available, not green moves) dial.

So, if you have a Red Squadron pilot, with this astromech crew, then add a crew, what happens to the red Squadron pilot? Maybe an astromech that raises your PS would be better. Or an astromech that is for generics only and gives you a pilot ability? but something simple, like you can change 1 focus to a hit on attacks. We definatly need better astromechs though.

I'd actually be cool with a 1pt Astromech that increased your pilot skill by 2. Like VI, but for your astromech slot. I can't really think of a spot where this would be abusive.

On the one hand, it frees up the EPT slot so guys like Luke can run Lone Wolf at PS10, or Corran can run PtL at PS10, which sounds bonkers, until you realize that those ships don't regenerate anymore.

Meanwhile, generic Rookie X-Wings now have the benefit of integrated astromech at 22points, but are also clocking in at PS4 so they can shoot ahead of U-Boats.

I'd actually be cool with a 1pt Astromech that increased your pilot skill by 2. Like VI, but for your astromech slot. I can't really think of a spot where this would be abusive.

On the one hand, it frees up the EPT slot so guys like Luke can run Lone Wolf at PS10, or Corran can run PtL at PS10, which sounds bonkers, until you realize that those ships don't regenerate anymore.

Meanwhile, generic Rookie X-Wings now have the benefit of integrated astromech at 22points, but are also clocking in at PS4 so they can shoot ahead of U-Boats.

It would have to be no greater than 11. Imagine Poe (PS9), Plus VI, Plus Astromech for a PS of 13.

I would change it just a little though, the PS skill is good but I think you can push it a little more without going crazy for 1 pt since it is an astromech and only a few ships can equip it. 

How about, "after executing a green maneuver you may assign a focus token to this ship"?

It would have to be no greater than 11. Imagine Poe (PS9), Plus VI, Plus Astromech for a PS of 13.

I'm honestly not too worried about it, just sounds like another ace who can get hit by turrets and can get smashed if you block him, not much different than VI Vader. 

Meanwhile, he's not going to regen so when you smack him, he stays smacked.

Could make it limited to generic pilots

I actually really like this...here is how I would evolve it.

Astromech: Add crew slot. You may equip any crew and reduce the cost of the crew by 4 to a maximum of 0. Raise your pilot skill by 1. Cannot be equipped on unique pilots. 

Cost 5

So the idea is that you can get any crew on your ship "for free" and a pilot skill increase. In theory you could essentially get gunner for a discount and raise your PS. 

Probably only a few uses for it... but it would be very cool.

Astromech: Add crew slot. You may equip any crew and reduce the cost of the crew by 4 to a maximum of 0. Raise your pilot skill by 1. Cannot be equipped on unique pilots. 

Cost 5

So the idea is that you can get any crew on your ship "for free" and a pilot skill increase. In theory you could essentially get gunner for a discount and raise your PS. 

Probably only a few uses for it... but it would be very cool.

So picture a rookie pilot with that Astro with Luke inside. Lol. Interesting.

I like the concept, but I wonder if it's too clunky with the whole generic pilot necessity. There are generic pilots that have EPTs, which shouldn't work with the idea of replacing the pilot with the droid. Or it would get really weird with integrated astromech or an enemy Boba Fett crew.

I do think it would work as a unique pilot that is the droid. That droid's pilot card would not include a astromech slot and it would include an additional crew slot.

Then you lose the ability to choose what ship to put on, but the more I think about it, there would be just too much writing on the card.

"Your upgrade bar gains an additional [crew] upgrade icon. Your upgrade bar loses any [EPT] upgrade icons. Treat your pilot skill as ___ and your pilot ability as ___. This card may not be discarded."

I just want to see an FAQ fix for targeting astromech:

Targeting Atromech, this card should read:

"Action: you may perform an attack with an equipped torpedo secondary weapon."

Oh, I love that idea.  Not the idea of errating the card, but the idea of making shooting a torpedo an action and not a attack.

I just want to see an FAQ fix for targeting astromech:

Targeting Atromech, this card should read:

"Action: you may perform an attack with an equipped torpedo secondary weapon."

Oh, I love that idea.  Not the idea of errating the card, but the idea of making shooting a torpedo an action and not a attack.

Yeah the part about the FAQ was tongue in cheek but would it really break game for a droid to do this? I mean on an X or E its only ever one shot and then you are out of ammo. You still have to get a lock and keep it until you have the shot unless you use PTL. And on a Y they could get two shots but no ept means no PTL so I don't see the problem. Especially now that we have snap shot.

I like it for 1 point.

Ha!  If Integrated Astromech kicks in and you boot the droid then you have to boot the crew member too!

I would think no. You don't lose your EPT from R2-D6(?ept droid).

Yea, but somebody has to fly the ship and if the droid gets bounced that would have to be the crew. 

So for a while I've been playing with the idea for a new astromech in my head.

The astromech that can fly a ship!

The idea is that, on non-unique pilot ships, this droid would function as the pilot, thus freeing the pilot's seat up for a crew slot!

This could bring even more combo's to rebel ships!

I also thought it could have a built in Veteran Instincts, for the lowest PS ships.

I guess it would best be a Unique droid, and cost at least 4 points.

I don't think it would break the game, since it's not super invasive and it would cost quite a bit for a generic ship.

It might however bring some love back to the ignored generic E-wing and X-wings.

What do you guys think?

Broken, lame or cool?

While I like the idea of it, especially something like Recon Spec, or Sabine crew, or Weapons Engineer, or half a doen other crew on an XXwing, they kind of already did this, with the ARC-170, and they gave it the use of the astroslot too!

If it were a 1point generic droid called: Piloting Astromech, and gave a crew slot to the ship, but if you integrated astro off the droid then you'd lose the crew ability, it would be very interesting ,even if not very competitive.

Again its a nice idea, but FFG kinda did it already.

Cost 5

I feel that at 5 points it is over-costed. For a rookie pilot, you get:

+1 PS

+crew slot (-4 points)

-astromech slot

+5 points

So what ever crew you pick (with the exception of Luke and gunner) you must spend 5 points and your astromech spot, but you gain 1 PS.

Just seems kinda iffy to me. Maybe 4 points?

I like it! My version would be

Droid Pilot

Modification

If you have a droid slot, gain one crew slot.

You must remove all EPT slots and ignore your unique pilot skill.

Treat your pilot skill as the cost of your droid.

If that number is 4 or higher, you gain an EPT slot.