FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

22 hours ago, DerBaer said:

What we are missing from Rebels:

Main heroes: Kanan, Ezra, Zeb, Sabine (, Rex)

Main villains: Thrawn, Rukh, Tarkin, several Inquisitors, early Kallus, ...

Other: Saw, Mandalorians, Hondo, Yoda, Clone Wars Veteran Droidekas, and MANY others ...

Death Troopers!

4 hours ago, DerBaer said:

Death Troopers!

I don't know what everyone's fascinition with black stormtroopers is.  Is it the cool factor?  I mean, I remember when i loved the black painted scout troopers in SWM that were some kind of Imperial Special Forces, but honestly; in the granularity of the game, what are death troopers going to be, other than a slight modification of plastic? More slightly expensive Elite Stormtroopers?  

46 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

I don't know what everyone's fascinition with black stormtroopers is.  Is it the cool factor?  I mean, I remember when i loved the black painted scout troopers in SWM that were some kind of Imperial Special Forces, but honestly; in the granularity of the game, what are death troopers going to be, other than a slight modification of plastic? More slightly expensive Elite Stormtroopers?  

For me, it's probably two things:

1) Obviously, the complete lack of obligation to paint them white is, in a word, liberating. :P

2) I think they'd look great on the board.  Death Troopers are pretty tall compared to other stormtroopers, so they'd stand out really well.

They just look pretty cool 

Image result for death trooper height

I'm ok with Deathtroopers but they would have to bring something to the game in terms of innovation.  I don't want them  to become the new cannon fodder of the Empire, that is a black version of the stormtroopers (regular stormies are there for that).  They need to bring something fresh that is worth the new sculpt.  Otherwise we can just have Deathtroopers the way the app introduced Vader's finest stormtroopers.  It's a more expansive version of the regular sormtroopers (8 threat instead of 6) that can actually discard harmful condition and become focused for one action.  Do we need new sculpts for Vader's finest so we could paint some fancy pattern to represent troopers taking direct orders from Vader?  No (at least for me)  I can use my imagination.  

I understand though that Deathtrooper sculpts are a bit different.  But if we are having Deathtroopers, I want more than a different sculpt.  I want a different unit.  However, I'm just questioning if we really need a different trooper unit when I think about all the stormies we have so far (Stormtroopers, Heavytroopers, Snowtroopers, Jettroopers, Riot troopers and I would even count Vader's finest troopers if you are willing to house rule them in a campaign or a casual skirmish game).   The same reason would apply for other possible trooper units like shoretroopers, shocktroopers, scout troopers (might make an exception for the sake of completing OT stuff), shadowtroopers, minetroopers, spacetroopers, tropicaltroopers, 4-season-weather-troopers, officetroopers (work from 9 to 5 only), parental-leave troopers (added to the post-DS1 labor agreement), ...    

15 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

I'm ok with Deathtroopers but they would have to bring something to the game in terms of innovation.  I don't want them  to become the new cannon fodder of the Empire, that is a black version of the stormtroopers (regular stormies are there for that).  They need to bring something fresh that is worth the new sculpt.  Otherwise we can just have Deathtroopers the way the app introduced Vader's finest stormtroopers.  It's a more expansive version of the regular sormtroopers (8 threat instead of 6) that can actually discard harmful condition and become focused for one action.  Do we need new sculpts for Vader's finest so we could paint some fancy pattern to represent troopers taking direct orders from Vader?  No (at least for me)  I can use my imagination.  

I understand though that Deathtrooper sculpts are a bit different.  But if we are having Deathtroopers, I want more than a different sculpt.  I want a different unit.  However, I'm just questioning if we really need a different trooper unit when I think about all the stormies we have so far (Stormtroopers, Heavytroopers, Snowtroopers, Jettroopers, Riot troopers and I would even count Vader's finest troopers if you are willing to house rule them in a campaign or a casual skirmish game).   The same reason would apply for other possible trooper units like shoretroopers, shocktroopers, scout troopers (might make an exception for the sake of completing OT stuff), shadowtroopers, minetroopers, spacetroopers, tropicaltroopers, 4-season-weather-troopers, officetroopers (work from 9 to 5 only), parental-leave troopers (added to the post-DS1 labor agreement), ...    

I get that, and I'm sure my reasons for wanting them are pretty shallow.  :P

But also, I think that they could bring new stuff to the game. I agree they shouldn't be cannon fodder,  and would want them to be more akin to the Royal Guards (in survivability) than standard troopers.  These guys should be the best of the best.

Also, based on the movies, I wouldn't mind seeing them have some sort of grenade ability, dealing some splash damage outside of an attack.

I'd expect they'd be pretty expensive (maybe 8 or 9 threat for r, 10-12 for e).  But as long as they're viable, I'd be cool with it.

Edited by subtrendy2

1 hour ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

Ahh, the old chair-borne Rangers. 

[IMG]

You know, the more I see that guy, the more it looks like a hero figure.  It's clearly a clone veteran (article supports this). 

As far as I can tell, it's also not just art lifted from the Clone class in Edge of the Empire, either.  They did have this, though.

image.png.0e1bfa827f4dc013e0793fe3f1f40904.png

The very unique shoulder pads, as far as I can tell, aren't from any other source.  Don't see why, if we got Clone Veterans as an ally unit, they'd be portrayed like that.

That pads would serve as a nice identifier for a hero unit, though.  Not unlike Fenn's blue scarf that separates him from the Alliance Rangers.

Image result for fenn signis

Image result for alliance ranger imperial assault

I actually do kinda hope this is a hero, and not Rex now.  

Question is- if that's the case, who is the ally going to be?

Edited by subtrendy2

11 minutes ago, machfalcon said:

After the accidental article release last week and with the Rebels TV show finale airing this week... I have a really good feeling about this week.

I wish I could as well, but there is still legion, and its release.  I find this to be infuriating but I don't think we will hear anything official until after legion's release because they want the focus to be on their new child.

50 minutes ago, machfalcon said:

After the accidental article release last week and with the Rebels TV show finale airing this week... I have a really good feeling about this week.

The line is “I’ve got a bad feeling about this..” ?

in all seriousness, I’m really hoping for some news soon. 

On 3/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, subtrendy2 said:

I actually do kinda hope this is a hero, and not Rex now.  

Question is- if that's the case, who is the ally going to be?

In the new RPG Dawn of Rebellion sourcebook they have the stats for making retired clone troopers as PCs so it is obviously on their minds. I think it would make for a fun hero. I'd think they'd be a good mix of ranged skills and leadership. Maybe a little like Kayne Samos. 

11 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

I wish I could as well, but there is still legion, and its release.  I find this to be infuriating but I don't think we will hear anything official until after legion's release because they want the focus to be on their new child.

For all we know something might be on the ship already.  I figure there's been silence so that potential buyers don't get confused between the two very identical looking games (from a packaging perspective, both have star wars miniatures).  Once the Legion hype has passed, we'll likely get an announcement

8 hours ago, neosmagus said:

For all we know something might be on the ship already.  I figure there's been silence so that potential buyers don't get confused between the two very identical looking games (from a packaging perspective, both have star wars miniatures).  Once the Legion hype has passed, we'll likely get an announcement

That's a good way of thinking about it.  I remember Legion was originally slated for an "early 2018" release, with many speculating January.  I guess it's possible that it was delayed for some reason, pushing IA further down the pipe.  It would explain the Worlds award article being so spoilery, too.  

It would be pretty fantastic to get this thing on our doorsteps just a few months after release, especially after the long HotE wait.

That being said, I expect nothing today.

Edited by subtrendy2

30 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

That's a good way of thinking about it.  I remember Legion was originally slated for an "early 2018" release, with many speculating January.  I guess it's possible that it was delayed for some reason, pushing IA further down the pipe.  It would explain the Worlds award article being so spoilery, too.  

It would be pretty fantastic to get this thing on our doorsteps just a few months after release, especially after the long HotE wait.

That being said, I expect nothing today.

It was probably delayed so you don't have to buy multiple core boxes for more units. If so, good on ya FFG. You are learning from Runewars/Armada

Just now, TallGiraffe said:

It was probably delayed so you don't have to buy multiple core boxes for more units. If so, good on ya FFG. You are learning from Runewars/Armada

Not a bad thought.  After all, I've heard the core set has been out for a while in a lot of stores, just waiting for the rest to get in before a wide release.  That makes a ton of sense, actually.

I think our little conspiracy theory is actually piecing together pretty well.  :P

Well, I'll spoil something here: I broke out some green stuff, blew the dust off of my sculpting tools, and have started creating a new mini which actually can be played in IA from the REBELS series finale epilogue, which greatly hints at a new story with two characters from the show (finished re-posing the mini, and now I'm in the process of sculpting the new outfit):

ahsoka-wip005.jpg

Edited by Fourtytwo

1 hour ago, Fourtytwo said:

Well, I'll spoil something here: I broke out some green stuff, blew the dust off of my sculpting tools, and have started creating a new mini which actually can be played in IA from the REBELS series finale epilogue, which greatly hints at a new story with two characters from the show (finished re-posing the mini, and now I'm in the process of sculpting the new outfit):

Reveal hidden contents

ahsoka-wip005.jpg

Wow. That is some nice work with green stuff! I like the concept too. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm 50/50 about seeing something today. 

The GAMA Trade Show starts on Monday.  A press release today would mean they could actually show the product/protos early at GTS.  By getting it out of the way, they can then concentrate on the inevitable highlighting/revelation of the next Legion products after the Veers/Leia waves.

But they may just as easily wait until GTS to reveal upcoming releases for all of their SW games.